getting comfortable on this bike ain't easy - gen I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love threads like this. Three duplicate posts to start it off, lots of questions raised to get more info to help, and . . . silence. We kind of assume if you ask, you're looking for replies. Numb, to the courtesy phone please!

i've already spent 450 bux for the custom seat, not ready to plunk down 6-700 for a russell day long yet. hell, this is rant.
Well, then don't invoke the high finish of FJRs in the IBR then as some sort of benchmark, because each one of those knew better to plunk down 450 bux and did it right the first time by going with a Russell.

Good luck on throwing good money after non-as-good-money. ;)

You say you've got lots to learn. We have a few things we'd like to learn as well... That's why we asked you a number of questions. We are waiting on your reply.

Dont judge the FJR by your 10-year old FJR. Todays models are nothing like what you are riding. But even still, regardless of model year, you have to make the ergonomic improvements necessary to fit your posture/body particulars. It is a sport-touring bike, mostly sport in my opinion, so what I would call "comfort" only gets so good for us guys in the "twilight years" of our riding.
smile.png
IMO, It will never be as comfortable as a genuine touring bike no matter what you do to it...but it's not supposed to be as comfortable as a touring bike because it's DNA is mostly sport. Embracing and accepting that is key to your enjoyment of this great bike.

Coming from a metric bagger, I can sympathize with the comfort issues, especially the age-related ones (graduated high school in '66). I put a set of SSR risers on my '06 feejer, in the rearmost factory setting, and adjusted the shift lever to the top of its range. Feels better, and I'm practicing the Yoda position, and it's getting better, but...sometimes I miss those floorboards, highway pegs, the heel shifter, high wide bars, and the driver's backrest.

I'm with you brother..... I moved to the FJR in June... Been working on making it comfortable ever since. Double stack risers, extra large screen, grip puppies. I too bought it used with the stock seat (torture device) LOOK UP YODA RIDING POSITION..... It helped explain a lot about how seating position, leg and foot pressure can change a lot about how comfy you can get. I did have my stock seat stripped down and rebuilt by Mean City Cycles... It's a lot better than stock, but still not perfect.

Having read not just this thread, but many others the Russel Day Long seat is next on the list. But the YODA write up is in my mind a GOTTA READ, UNDERSTAND and PRACTICE to get it the way you want it.

^^^^^ Yeah, it was like riding on a La-Z-Boy. Comfy! And it was so cool to shift gears by stomping that heel pedal.

But the lean angle was no more than 10 degrees, so riding through the city worked my arms and shoulders like 45 minutes in the gym. And compared to the FJR it had no brakes and no acceleration, so riding on the urban interstates was frustrating because I couldn't weave like the sport bikes -- or like I do now on the FJR.

(The Master Yoda Riding Position seems awfully like the posture my high school basketball coach wanted me to assume when on defense. Anybody else get that weird deja vu feeling?)

I bought my well farkled 04 two years ago. It had a Penske, Bar back risers (which I added another riser to) and an early Sargent seat. That seat sucked so bad, it was so bouncy due to Atomic cell foam inserted in place of the top foam of a stock seat. Butt burn in minutes. I was lucky to find a used Russell DL and it's the most comfortable seat I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. I just took that Sargent apart last week and installed a Seat Concepts foam and cover for around town use. Forgot to order the stiffer foam like I did on my strom 1000, it's a little soft for my 220 lbs as I like a firm seat. I may cut up that Sargent foam and remake it and then sell the SC to somebody lighter.