glove compartment/cubby lock ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptail

Reaction score
Is there another name this goes by to research any typical probs with the electric lock? Mine seems to have stopped working. I can't depress the button, and can't latch the lid.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Try these (copy & paste). The first one will be a bit less than one page but very specific. The second one is two pages with some riffraff thrown in.

+glove +latch +broken

+latch +broken

You are about to discover that the latch itself is broken and in all probability can't be fixed. I tried to fix mine earlier this year but found the latch mechanism is molded with fragile elements that couldn't be glued/epoxied/JB welded because the parts were too fine and the clearances too small. My latch spring was also broken but I was able to find a work-around for that. The only solution is to replace the entire glove box, expect to pay ~$100 if you opt for a new and known good box.

You may get lucky though. You can take an aerosol spray like WD-40 or preferably a silicon or Teflon spray and hose the latch area and see if it frees up. Be aware that on your Gen I the fuse blocks are in the area and over spray could get on them.

Take a look at the tab on the lid, the tab should have an unbroken rectangular hole. Take a look in the hole the tab of the lid fits into next to the button, you should see a horizontal post with a chisel shaped tip protruding into the opening. When the key is off the post should not move. With the bike in neutral and the key on you should be able to move the post by pressing on it horizontally toward the gas tank.

Just to be sure that it is the box, put your ear on the box or the faring next to the box, be sure your FJR is in neutral, then turn on the key. You should be able to hear the solenoid go CLICK. This means the solenoid is good.

For right now I have RTVed a magnetic cabinet closure to the box and the magnetic plate to the lid and it works just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wealth of knowledge. Thought I would find info here, no need to re-invent the wheel. I can spend my time blazing new trails.

I will use your tips guys and check it out.

Thanks for your time.

Jim

Any pictures of the latch/mechanism, and how it assembles?

I have mine apart and want to verify the assembly?

The return spring was bent and off its slide seat. I think its OK to reassemble (but for how long)?

I wonder what they were thinking with such a vulnerable, fragile, and over complicated design.

Tough access with the fairing needing removal too.

Oh well, it is a great bike none the less.

Thanks,

Jim