Gold Wing update....any news?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And my ZX14R leans me forward even more, making seat issues go away. In Europe the ZX14R is considered a touring bike.

Honda bailed on the ST market. You can still buy a new 2012 leftover ST1300 at at least two dealers.

Honda seems to have tried to foist that CTX1300 on folks, but Ive never seen any on the road. Thats a cross between the ST and Lord knows what. I think it was to use up the engine inventory.

Then they resurrected the Valkyrie for a few years. It was a nice idea as a 1500. The Rune was a statement bike, and a way to phase it out. It came back, only to be phased out again.

Then the F6B. And now the new GW.

There was some discussion about what generation the new one is. Just like here on the FJR. Some had it at Gen 7. In 43 years that would be about 7 years per generation on average (7 coming up next).

Back to the FJR, I think the 2018 GW vs the 2018 FJR will tip in favor of the FJR for anyone who really wants sport over touring.

I bought my K1600GTL and 7 months later I was back to the FJR. I knew before the end of the first week on the K16 that I preferred the FJR.

I think this (2018 FJR vs 2018 GW) will be the same for a lot of would be Wingers.

Ive had Gold Wings for 13 years and an FJR for 12 years.

The FJR is a better motorcycle on every level that matters.

Better handling, braking, acceleration, fuel economy,

reliability, ease of service, cost of ownership, etc.

Simply put, the FJR delivers the most satisfying

motorcycling experience Ive ever had, bar none.

And I never found Gold Wings to be all that comfortable,

being much less able to fit to a rider than other bikes.

Ive had Gold Wings for 13 years and an FJR for 12 years.The FJR is a better motorcycle on every level that matters.

Better handling, braking, acceleration, fuel economy,

reliability, ease of service, cost of ownership, etc.

Simply put, the FJR delivers the most satisfying

motorcycling experience Ive ever had, bar none.

And I never found Gold Wings to be all that comfortable,

being much less able to fit to a rider than other bikes.
well sir--you (and others) have chosen the right ride for yourself and I am happy for you. For me its the opposite so I get to choose whats best for me and I for one am very glad I finally have better options to choose from in the world of long distance motorcycle travel. I will get me a 2018 Goldwing and I will keep my amazing ST1300 because it is the best designed engine to ever bless a motorcycle frame , it may not have all the latest gadgetry but it still gets better mileage(51 mpg), proven to be longer lasting, and for me is waaay more comfortable than the FJR.

Longer lasting?

(Better not tell that to my FJR)

Probably not the best place to get into a pissing match (ST1300 vs FJR).

Longer lasting?
(Better not tell that to my FJR)

Probably not the best place to get into a pissing match (ST1300 vs FJR).
why not--this is the other bike thread on the FJR forum isnt it ? Come over to the ST owners forum and see how much smack FJR owners have spread over there. Some riders have chosen a bike that meets their physical needs, I have, and yes, I do believe a 400,000 mile plus ST1300 proves quite a lot, ever heard of a million plus mile Goldwing? Several out there.

I owned an ST1100, and rented an ST1300 for a few days when they came out. I test rode one a few weeks ago. And I ride with a die hard owner.

That shift lever pivot design is the worst Ive ever experienced on any motorcycle. It starts the arthritis in my left big toe up within 10 shifts. And the clutch takes a lot of force considering that it is hydraulic. The brakes arent special, and the zip isnt very zippy.

Even Honda put it to bed ... but it is a great engine. The FJRs is better, but the ST1300 does have an excellent engine too. Too bad 2012 is the last year. Those new 2012s need tires now, and theyre not even out of the crate.

If you want one, the two dealers who have told me they could get a one new from Honda are Rockingham Sport Cycle and Southern Honda Powersports.

The FJR is the Indisputable King of ST motorcycles.

JSNS

Last edited by a moderator:
you rented an ST1300 and give your opinion of all ST1300's from that experience? Hey--Im not knocking the FJR--I test rode one and it buzzed my hands so much my neck hurt, so I got the ST1300 and have no problems that you claim to have had. Getting back to what this thread is about---the 2018 Goldwing---I believe its going to be an awesome bike.

You, sir, are perfect example of why I gradually moved away

from Gold Wings. ( There was also the realization that I was

too young )

I simply dont have the time or energy to have a discussion

regarding what a person believes.

FWIW, I am looking at the new Wing as a post-retirement ride.

you rented an ST1300 and give your opinion of all ST1300's from that experience? Hey--Im not knocking the FJR--I test rode one and it buzzed my hands so much my neck hurt, so I got the ST1300 and have no problems that you claim to have had. Getting back to what this thread is about---the 2018 Goldwing---I believe its going to be an awesome bike.
I own both a 2005 ST1300ABS and a 2016 FJR A. Bought the ST in 2014, and the FJR last August. Both have helibars and Sargent seats. Both bikes are excellent long distance machines. The FJR gets slightly better gas mileage. The FJR Is technically far advanced than the ST. The FJR has much stronger acceleration. The FJR has cruise control. The ST has better weather protection; the FJR seems to direct rainwater around the tank into my crotch area! However, for my money, the FJR is the better bike, and I am a honda guy! Like anything else, weigh the options, decide what is important to you, and ride what you want.

And if you ride with a SO, that back seat on the wing will just spoil them. I guess some of the shorter ladies don't like it but most do.

In my case, that's another reason to keep my FJR.
not_i.gif

Well, I'm loving this thread and the personal insight you guys are providing. I've been on FJR's for 14 years now and it's been an extremely rewarding experience. I get plenty of use out of the right grip, but I'm not near as aggressive in the curves that a lot of people here are. That said, I'm looking forward to a Goldwing demo ride. Wing is a heck of a lot of money compared to the "July Rate" I paid for my latest FJR in 2014, so it will have to be something crazy good at those prices. But since I'm also not buying year one, I have time to hear the good and bad from those that can't wait. Most likely the FJR will share the garage with the new addition because the going prices of 6 year old FJR's isn't very strong and makes keeping it a strong argument.

For those that dont know, JonJon is my good friend and I would ride anywhere with him regardless of what he chooses to ride. And he tells the truth about his STs fuel mileage, even though I think his results are not typical. Ive seen it with my own calculator.

Hope you enjoy the new wing, my friend. Lets break it in proper as soon as we can!!

I love my 2010 ST1300, it's smooth, and I really love the power;that being said, I've only tried the FJR on a test ride from a dealer. From that short test, I didn't find it as comfortable as my first test on the ST, I know I would need a new windshield, a different seat, and helI bars to start with, however, I don't want to judge the bike on the one ride, as I changed quite a bit on the ST once,I figured out what didn't work for me (seat, helibars). The ST1300 felt smoother (for me)on the first ride, than did the FJR, I appreciate the looks of the yamaha, I would like to see them put on bigger saddlebags, and would definitely entertain trying one again, but I have sooo many miles to put on my STeed before I trade it for something new.

Just my .2 cents.

Eddie

towards the end the video shows some of Hondas available accessories, I can only imagine the aftermarket goodies being designed allready

Someone here or somewhere else during my research mentioned that "maybe" Honda would offer a larger touring trunk as an option due to all of the complaining coming from the masses over the reduction in luggage capacity on the new model.

I rented an Indian Roadmaster a couple of years ago and that trunk seemed huge (in an excellent way). Remote open and threw in my whole carry-on bag from the airport with plenty of room to spare. I was kind of looking forward to that kind of room on the new Wing.

Honda says they researched Goldwing owners and found that the vast majority were touring for long weekends rather than for weeks. So they designed the new luggage with this in mind, cutting capacity drastically.

They reassured potential buyers that the new top box would still hold helmets.

I think the new Wing has a lot of potential to be a great bike. But time will tell.

As for the ST1300, we all have our opinions. There are so many choices because we dont all like the same things. The fact that Honda sunset the ST is indicative of market reception.

But that V-4 is smooth.

Wait until you feel the GWs flat 6. I think mine is smoother than any ST Ive owned or ridden, and I think it even beats my K16.

SLK50 posted: They should be more ashamed for revealing their age.
Ha! Proud of becoming this old despite the dumbass shit I've done over the past 6 decades. I'm not invincible, just lucky that I bounce well and heal quickly. The bouncing and healing powers are waning, however, and seat comfort and heat are becoming more attractive.

The Wing can take me as far (and as fast) as the FJR, but the babe on the pillion gets a cushier seat that's heated. If the babe is ready to ride, that beats any comparison statistic.

If anybody hears what these are selling for please let me know. Especially interested in the Tour model DCT.

I bought my last FJR new but discounted pretty heavily. Do they deal on the goldwings much? Seems the used ones are always very expensive. I guess I wouldn't hope for much in the first year when everybody wants one. Just curious.

I called one of the best dealers around (Russleville Honda in Arkansas) and the tour DCT is going for $24,679---good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.