Hazards in the Road - Southern New Hampshire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkrK12

Reaction score
This post is a warning for those folks who live/ride in the Manchester, NH area. But, it's a cautionary note as a reminder to all of us.

Last year, I was riding a back road near my home. Rounding a corner, I came upon a cluster of leaves in the road (like the tip of an oak branch that breaks off in the wind). Generally, I believe it's a good idea to avoid running over anything in the road, so I took evasive action. Managed to miss it with the front and just barely caught it with the outside of the rear. I felt a hard it - clearly not leaves - and knew I was in trouble. The rear instantly deflated and I was able to pull over without any real drama. Inspection revealed a 3" slice in the tire along with a utility knife blade sticking out of the tread edge. I walked back up the road to the offending object and found that the leaf cluster was used to disguise a block of wood with about a dozen knife blades stuck into it. The 3mph ride back home on a totally flat rear was a lot of fun.

Fast forward to this evening: In another local town, about 15 miles from last year's site, I came upon another leaf cluster. It looked suspicious, so I pulled over and took a look. Sure enough, another identical device.

If you are riding in the southern NH area, take some extra care to avoid stuff in the road. There are clearly some people wandering around that think this is some funny stuff.

Incidentally, the reaction of the local police to the problem was less than inspiring. They did make the offer to throw the item away, if I wanted to ride over and drop it off. After explaining I could probably handle a task that complicated all by myself, I thanked them for their time and rang off. I really didn't think there was much they could do. But, it would have been nice if they had at least asked me where the incident took place.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
This post is a warning for those folks who live/ride in the Manchester, NH area. But, it's a cautionary note as a reminder to all of us.

Last year, I was riding a back road near my home. Rounding a corner, I came upon a cluster of leaves in the road (like the tip of an oak branch that breaks off in the wind). Generally, I believe it's a good idea to avoid running over anything in the road, so I took evasive action. Managed to miss it with the front and just barely caught it with the outside of the rear. I felt a hard it - clearly not leaves - and knew I was in trouble. The rear instantly deflated and I was able to pull over without any real drama. Inspection revealed a 3" slice in the tire along with a utility knife blade sticking out of the tread edge. I walked back up the road to the offending object and found that the leaf cluster was used to disguise a block of wood with about a dozen knife blades stuck into it. The 3mph ride back home on a totally flat rear was a lot of fun.

Fast forward to this evening: In another local town, about 15 miles from last year's site, I came upon another leaf cluster. It looked suspicious, so I pulled over and took a look. Sure enough, another identical device.

If you are riding in the southern NH area, take some extra care to avoid stuff in the road. There are clearly some people wandering around that think this is some funny stuff.

Incidentally, the reaction of the local police to the problem was less than inspiring. They did make the offer to throw the item away, if I wanted to ride over and drop it off. After explaining I could probably handle a task that complicated all by myself, I thanked them for their time and rang off. I really didn't think there was much they could do. But, it would have been nice if they had at least asked me where the incident took place.

Dan
I noticed a deep slice about a 1/2 inch long in my new PR2 Rear yesterday. Tire pressure is still good to go. I am hoping in about 15K it will be gone. Not sure how it happened.

Dave

Dave

Dan

I would call back and ask for a supervisor, especially now that you've found two of those damn things. If they still don't seem to care tell them your next call is to the local news station. This really is a puplic safety issue. The next guy might lose control and hit a bus full of kids.

Thank's for the info Dan. I also have to ask the underlying question...WHY?? What could have been the reason for such an act? which leads to the following, Did you happen to see anyone or anything that was odd or strange? either at the site or close to it? Could this have been intentionaly set up to then prey upon a traveler who was now at a disadvantage?? Most prankster's hang around to see the effects of their stupidity, but predators are a very cunning lot. YES I may sound paranoid from watching to much T.V. NEWS (that's right NEWS! NOT horror movies) there are some seriously Fu#ked up people out there and I just wonder if you may have crossed their path but YOU were not the TARGET they were hoping for?? I would seek the help of your local LEO Detective task force or the State Police. Again what may seem to be a harmless?? prank could be someone they are on the lookout for. There is so much stuff out there that the general public has No idea is going on. As I say to my friend's and family,Be VERY AWARE! of your surroundings!!

I saw noone around either area. There were houses close to both items. So, it wasn't like this was a setup in a remote area to waylay someone.

My inclination is that it is probably kids who are old enough to drive and somehow think this is funny. The two items were similar, but not identical, in construction.

I sympathize that the police probably have no ability to do anything about these events. My annoyance was the total apathy exhibited by the dispatcher.

Dan

And I thought that the bull moose that I just missed in Gorham was bad....wait,it was, I'd rather run over the blades. I've heard of a-holes oiling a curve to get the squids and pirates. Better add leaves to the list..

About 10 or 12 - maybe even 15 – years ago, some high school punks pulled a reflector pole from the side of the road, then set it up in the driving lane surrounded by rocks. This was Montana (US) Hwy. 93 between Kalispell and Polson on Flathead Lake's west shore. About 4 a.m. this guy and gal come down the road and happen to be pulling a trailered drag bike they are taking 200 miles to Anaconda for their Sunday eighth-mile drag racing. I think the couple was driving an SUV, maybe Bronco. They hit the obstruction and ripped a hole in their gas tank. They swerved wildly, of course, and the bike on the trailer fell down and off but still tethered by tie-downs. The sparks set off a gasoline fire and the driver stepped on it (hoping to run out of fuel before burning up?). He lost control, ran into the barrow pit and crashed hard. Both he and female passenger died from the impact and subsequent flames. The punks were ultimately caught, were juveniles, and got hand slaps. That kind of "joke" or prank can kill people horribly. That's attempted homicide. Cops need to take it seriously.