Helmet Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteman11

Reaction score
Looking for any useful info regarding helmet selection. Looking at: Shoei, AGV,Icon,HJC,Shark.

Anybody use or prefer these and why? Any other makes/models I should look at? Who makes the best and most comfortable full face?

Also, I've read on here that the saddlebags will hold a full face helmet. Is that true? If so,great!

I do not have a FJR yet. Will buy soon. Looking for all the info I can consume. Thanks in advance!

You must be kidding? Asking what is the preferred helmet on the motorcycle forum is the same as asking if bikers preferred blond to a brunets :)

They are all good. Some prefer Arai, some Shoei. You have to find the one that fits you the best.

Arai, is generally lighter of them and has more ventilation, but at the same time the loudest I think. Even so I wear one because it is the only one that fits me right.

Then I would go to Shoe. Very nice all around. I was using one for 5 years until it was time for a new hat. Then they changed their construction and no longer fit me right.

AS I said. get the one that fits YOU.

You must be kidding? Asking what is the preferred helmet on the motorcycle forum is the same as asking if bikers preferred blond to a brunets :)
They are all good. Some prefer Arai, some Shoei. You have to find the one that fits you the best.

Arai, is generally lighter of them and has more ventilation, but at the same time the loudest I think. Even so I wear one because it is the only one that fits me right.

Then I would go to Shoe. Very nice all around. I was using one for 5 years until it was time for a new hat. Then they changed their construction and no longer fit me right.

Thanks for the info. That pretty much rules out buying one over the internet. I have limited places here to try a helmet out.

+1 Cougar...you've just gotta try them on and see what fits you best...then, search the internet and find the best price. Most motorcycle shops will match internet prices if you want to but it locally.

Man, I just looked up your location and you are only 75 miles out of Atlanta. They are going to have a bike show on the 19th. Don't tell me that you can't master 75 miles. At the show will be ALL brands and people to help fit you into a right helmet. And then you can score great price.

p.s. Don't forget to get me a gift now, you hear :)

The saddlebags do indeed hold a helmet nicely. Like others have said, since most of our noggins are shaped differently, it is best to go someplace and try a bunch of them on. They all size a tad differently, and feel a bit different. And, then there is the color, scheme, etc. I ended up with a Shoei that is a great match to the colors on my 05. Most of the "major" brands in theory should protect you the same - just prayin that I never have to test it.....1 :dribble: Safe riding. Jay

I've married two blondes...If I ever get stupid again, I'm changing! :yahoo:

That's the Gospel Truth....the best helmet is the one that fits you properly. If its uncomfortable, you won't wear it; if it doesn't fit right, it won't seal around your head and it will be noisy....and possibly less protecive.

..........has more ventilation, but at the same time the loudest I think.
The more vents, the more air; the more air, the more wind noise.

SEE!?!?!?!?

Or you could search. I used Google and typed in: helmets site:fjrforum.com. That should give you some reading to catch up on.

I have limited places here to try a helmet out.
Sounds like a built in excuse for a road trip! :yahoo:

"Honey, you understand I HAVE to take that trip. I need a new helmet and I've got to do some shopping. You understand shopping, right?" B)

[SIZE=12pt]Hey, kiteman11,[/SIZE] Lookie whut I found!!!! I'd bet the major manufacturers and dealers will be there.... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
My HJC 2X full face Helmut just barely fits into the side bag.

I have to apply a lot of preload to close the cover. Thank god I ride with it on or I would be one of those guys whose bags pop open going down the road.

Its very noisy, but for the price what can you expect.

Man, I just looked up your location and you are only 75 miles out of Atlanta. They are going to have a bike show on the 19th. Don't tell me that you can't master 75 miles. At the show will be ALL brands and people to help fit you into a right helmet. And then you can score great price.
Damn Cougar, you are full of good advice.

Hey Kiteman, some the local FJR owners are meeting at the Yamaha booth at 11:00 and going to lunch later.

Check out this link: clicky

Damn Cougar, you are full of good advice.

Hey Kiteman, some the local FJR owners are meeting at the Yamaha booth at 11:00 and going to lunch later.

Check out this link: clicky
Dang...I was editing my post with that information and saw yours after I hit "enter".

Thanks for the advice. I am for sure going to the Atlanta Motorcycle show next weekend to check everything out (especially the 08 FJR). Will look and fit helmets while I'm there.

I am basically looking for any pitfalls some of you may have encountered in choosing a helmet or key features/details to pay particular attention to. Thanks also for letting me know that the lid will fit in the saddlebag. This is all coming from a rider who has been on the HD train for 12 years and wore nothing but a $10 brain bucket. I know the helmet choice is a personal one and everyone's different but like I said, just looking to use the knowledge here to help me make an educated choice.