Help, Input needed on FZ-07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting some miles on it for sure, not a lot but still racking them up! It is a very fun bike so far, still breaking it in so I'm not going that fast. I did take it on some nice turns in the hills/mountains near me and it handled them pretty well! The bike is very nimble. Everything is going smooth with the bike so far. If you get a chance to try it out I highly recommend it!

I am glad this issue was minor and was repaired to the satisfaction of the owner. There is no way I would accept a brand new bike that had major repair. Full warranty and a cut on the purchase price....maybe. It would depend on the skill level of the mechanic. Been turning wrenches since 1978. Things happen with rookies. I work on my own bikes but heavy equipment is my forte. Glad you are enjoying the new ride.

If I could get anything for my '05 FJR with 108k miles it would be gone and either an FZ-07 or FZ-09 would be in the garage.Less is more.
I've been seriously entertaining the thought of throwing a set of Givi's and a windshield on something like the FZ07. I *loved* the one I test drove.

Adding on to this older thread...

A co-worker friend of mine has been bike shopping. I have been The Voice of Reason amongst all the self proclaimed experts at work. Or at least I tried.

At any rate, he just bought a brand new, left-over 2015 FZ-07 in exactly that shade of red. He asked me to ride it home for him.

That is a very pleasant, very torque rich, very user friendly powerplant. I have to say that I would still buy the FZ-09 for myself but that I could be happy forever with the FZ-07. The fueling on the twin is much smoother and more controllable and the motor does not seem to overwhelm the suspension like the three cylinder. Truly, this is one of the most pleasant little motorcycles I have ever ridden.

Can we get an update on the bike that started this thread?

RH, not sure what bike you're referring to when you said "twin", but I believe both FZs are triples.

paging Roadrunner19, please come to the courtesy phone.

Oops Just checked a dealer's website.
You're right RH. And here I had always thought it was a triple.
Would you mind if I showed that post to Mrs. Redfish? She thinks I am never right.

The FZ-07 is so nice it would be easy to think it had three cylinders instead of two.

At the risk of being ridiculed here as I was riding the bike in 30-35 mph traffic I was going through the gears in an attempt to vary the RPM. I found that I could run the bike in any of the 6 gears, the motor was that user friendly. I expect my FJR to be a torque monster but this thing was a very pleasant surprise.

Is your son enjoying the bike? Any issues? I am hoping he likes it and it is serving him well.

You're right RH.
Would you mind if I showed that post to Mrs. Redfish? She thinks I am never right.
Would that make it easier? And yes you may.

Is your son enjoying the bike? Any issues? I am hoping he likes it and it is serving him well.
Just talked with him last week and I guess he still enjoys it quite a bit. Not riding as much as he'd like due to a busy work schedule (sounds like most of us here).

Got to ride with him for about 600 miles (or there abouts) one day last summer, and I can tell you the bike does more than adequate on the NM mountain roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats RR19....

FZ-07 is a nice little bike, still need to get a test ride one of these days....

I've slowly but surely been working on and getting my FZ-09 ready for track days.

Threw a bunch of greenbacks at it already.

Like RF H, I enjoyed the heck out of the FZ-07. But unlike the fish, I actually liked it better than the 09. Fueling was spot on and it was really fun to ride it to its limits.
The FZ-09 is much better with an ECU Flash from a reputable programmer - its a night and day difference.... out of the factory its a very snatchy throttle, especially in A-Mode... Kinda like back in the day with those Seca 650 turbos when the turbo boost kicked in. Seriously nerve racking and scary. Dumbed down in B or STD mode its not nearly as bad, but certainly not right from the factory IMO... After having mine reworked its a very smooth controlled input in all modes. I don't feel like in A-Mode. that when I'm at the apex of a turn, rolling on throttle that the rear wheel is going to break loose from the jumpy input.

As far as the suspension on the FZ-09 its crap from the get go - made for little asian guys weighing in as 150lbs... not sure they even make those in the United States of Bacon.... Lots of fixes avail in many price ranges to get that dialed in...

Was at a few dealers out and about yesterday looking for a starter bike for the Niece, she seems to find the CBR500R pleasing to her eyes. But whilst we were at the Yamaha Dealer, saw a 2016 FJR and one of these things...

XSR900

0405161517_zpswzvtyxtf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has one -- which I've been riding almost every day for the past month. Loads of fun ... but I feel like I'm on a Grom.