Help Needed For Maintenance Issues on ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have green lights on a ride and I need to start planning.

I will be riding the 5 & Dime Rally (10n10) and if all goes well I should finish up the rally July 6th with over 10k behind me.

That will not be the finish however, as I want to do some other rides and complete a 20/20ths (20k in 20 days). So I will

depart Salt Lake City after the rally banquet and ride to LaPush, WA where I will begin a Sunset to Sunrise ride which will

be completed in Eastport, ME. I have 72 hours for that. By then my tires will have over 15k behind them and my oil will need

changed.

My next ride will start on Coney Island, NY, So between Eastport, ME and Coney Island, NY, I am looking for a place for a

tire change and fluid changing before attempting a 50cc the Hard Way to San Francisco, CA. I want to swap rear tire only, so

I would ship a tire and oil (Motul 7100) to a predetermined place as to prepare for this pit stop.

Is there anyone willing to help? I will carry a filter with me. If not, does anyone know of a decent shop that is trustworthy?

After San Francisco, I will ride to Why, AZ, Whynot, MS and Whynot, NC before returning to West Palm Beach.

The Date would be either July 10th or 11th IF all goes well.

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few of us in the Seattle area that can change your tires, but looks like you will be changing on the East coast.

Tony, where do you need this pitstop for the oil and tire change? I am not sure where you will be relative to your mileage!

BTW, you are one crazy long distance rider!

CrazyBunny.jpg

Tony,

I am in Rhode Island and have a tire changer and a lift. PM me for a phone number if this fits your schedule and we'll confirm possible dates. George

Let me know if the arrangements work out with Cota. If that falls through then I am in the Catskills in NY, which is probably a little out of your way, but not too far. I have a HF tire changer and space in the garage.

There are a few of us in the Seattle area that can change your tires, but looks like you will be changing on the East coast.
This is an option for me if my tires don't look like they have another 4k left on them. I will rest in Washington state before leaving out on the Sunset to Sunrise ride.

not gonna be visiting LA i guess??????
There are a few of us considering "Pinks" in Nov. off the clock. The first 10k will most likely take me there for bonus', but I will be on the clock.

Most likely I will drop down on I-5 before heading west.

Tony, where do you need this pitstop for the oil and tire change? I am not sure where you will be relative to your mileage!
BTW, you are one crazy long distance rider!
On one of the coast, otherwise I will be on the clock. These rides were chosen because I am not sure if I can pull them off with two weeks of fatigue built up.

Tony,I am in Rhode Island and have a tire changer and a lift. PM me for a phone number if this fits your schedule and we'll confirm possible dates. George
Pm to be sent

Friend & Friend in both Ellsworth & Orono Maine is a very good dealership, a 9/10. Woody's Performance Center in Topsham, ME is excellent, a 10/10. Do not have any service work done @ Reynolds Motorsports, having a tire mounted & balanced is beyond their level of expertise to put it mildly.

Tony,

Depending on time and traffic I'm roughly 30 minutes east of Coney Island. Brandy new HF changer and room in the garage if you want. And if there's anything else I could be of help with, don't hesitate to ask.

I thank all the responders. I think George's (cota95) generous offer is the one that will work out. I will change my starting location to New Haven.

Question for the local riders: Will I-287 (From the North) into I-80 traffic be bad? What would the choice hours be to attempt that route quickly?

287 past White Plains is ok but I would advise getting across the Tappan Zee (which is pretty beat up) prior to 0600 at a minimum if not earlier. That'll also make coming west from New Haven easier as 95 west of Bridgeport just plain sucks. (15 aka the Merritt might serve you better there.) If you can do it all before sunrise though you may not have any problems.

Although, and I have no idea on the things you factor in when routing something like this but, I might give a look at angling up towards 84 and riding that into 81 and then 80.

Although, and I have no idea on the things you factor in when routing something like this but, I might give a look at angling up towards 84 and riding that into 81 and then 80.
That route does look better - and it only adds 2 miles to the route. I have 50 hours to ride 3k on this leg, so I am leaning towards a midnight departure.

This would put me in Chicago at noon central time and in San Fransico at 11pm pacific time. This is a really doubtful ride in terms of success, but I really

want to attempt it. (Day 16/17)

I just read this post. I'm in Turner, ME, 10 miles north of Auburn,and about a 4 hr ride from Eastport. I have a NoMar changer and balancer and can do any routine maintenance you might need. I get my FJR oil (Mobil1 15W50) and filters (Purolator) at WalMart. There is a Yamaha dealer (Central Maine Powersports) in nearby Lewiston. I'd be happy to help you out.

I'd help but the last time I tried I spent 2 hours chasing you south through michigan trying to give you a helmet because you lost yer face-shield.

Kidding!

You know where I'm at brother, If I'm anywhere near where you need help, you have my number

I received the OK from IBA to attempt BOTH certs on the same ride. So I will be revamping my plans and timing.

I will attempt a 50 hour coast to coast from LaPush, WA to Coney Island. Then finish off the 72 hour Sunset to Sunrise.

If I fail the coast to coast, I will attempt it back west from east. ... To San Francisco.