High mileage on rear BT-021

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
14.3K miles on rear Bridgestone BT-021. Considerably higher than my previous best 12.1K miles. Didn't notice any negative trade-offs for the better mileage. Tried to keep it right around 42 psig. Used the hammer test most often rather than a gauge.

Only got 7K miles with the original Bridgestone BT-020 many years ago. New bike playing with the throttle in those days.

Replacing with a BT-023 standard non-GT.

I use too the BT 021 and i am very pleasure with this!Much better from BT 020!

Please write us your impressions about the BT 023,compared with the BT 021..Is it smoother from 021 on the road.potholes,ugly road,bumps,grips better..etc....

>>"Used the hammer test most often rather than a gauge."

> "Splain Lucy?"

Ever watch a trucker test his tires?

Walks around the truck and thumps the tires with a steel pipe.

(Pipe is used for tightening straps).

I'm at about 15750 on the original BT-021 on my '09. I keep waiting for it to wear out so I can replace it with a BT-023GT to go with the 023GT on the front. It looks like I will make it into November before I have to spend the money. I keep watching the sales and will jump early if the price is right.

Jeez, I am totally amazed at the mileage that some get from a tire. I've had my bike since '04, changed the tires many, many times & my personal best is a bit over 8000 miles on a rear tire. Just amazing!

Jeez, I am totally amazed at the mileage that some get from a tire. I've had my bike since '04, changed the tires many, many times & my personal best is a bit over 8000 miles on a rear tire. Just amazing!
Yeah, me too.

Rears, to cords:

Angel @ 5,000 mi ( Mostly 2-up. The one I rode to Nationals was done @ 4,100 mi )

BT-021 @ 7,500 mi ( Overall, a decent, if not great rear tire )

Z6 @ 9,000 mi ( Long lasting but heavy handling tire )

PRII @ 13,500 mi ( This one spent a LOT of time leaned over and looked like a racing slick when I finally replaced it.

Trying a Roadsmart now. ( With an Angel front, nice combination. )

May try BT-023GT next. ( as a pair, we'll see )

14.3K miles on rear Bridgestone BT-021. Considerably higher than my previous best 12.1K miles. Didn't notice any negative trade-offs for the better mileage. Tried to keep it right around 42 psig. Used the hammer test most often rather than a gauge.

Only got 7K miles with the original Bridgestone BT-020 many years ago. New bike playing with the throttle in those days.

Why the non-GT?

Putting the GT spec on the FJR is pretty standard practice.

Why the non-GT?

So is putting on the non-GT...I've heard of more with the non-GT than the GT.

Why the non-GT?

So is putting on the non-GT...I've heard of more with the non-GT than the GT.
Really? For the Bridgestone? I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Everything I have read recommends the GT for the FJR and that is what most do based on the threads I have read around here.

Are you confusing the Bridgestone GT spec with the Pilot Road 'B' spec? Opinions on the PR 'B' spec are certainly more divided.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect the non-GT to last longer for me. If it's like earlier Bridgestone rears the tread is deeper on the generic tire. The GT's extra ply likely reduces the tread depth. I'm assuming it has an extra ply.

The non-GT I installed has 2 nylon plies & 1 steel ply in the tread. It has 2 nylon plies in the sidewall. I would expect the GT to have one additional nylon ply in the tread and sidewalls.

The generic BT020 rear lasted much longer than the special BT020 for the FJR. It had more tread. I anticipate the same for the BT023.

I've got 20k on 2 non-GTs. Probably a bit less harsh and a breeze to mount. If I were carrying a SO and a load I would go the GT. I'm getting good mileage and no 45 head-shake at 10k. I like the tread pattern for rain riding.

How do you all get those high miles ??? Rear tires: Metzler Z6 5150, shinko's twice Raven 4020 & 4550, Pilot Road at 5600 now & may last another

1000 then installing PR 2. Use 40 psi in rear, no bags, no passenger, no extra shit on the bike, just my fat ass & a water bladder. Usually 300 to

500+ mile rides.

How do you all get those high miles ??? Rear tires: Metzler Z6 5150, shinko's twice Raven 4020 & 4550, Pilot Road at 5600 now & may last another

1000 then installing PR 2. Use 40 psi in rear, no bags, no passenger, no extra shit on the bike, just my fat ass & a water bladder. Usually 300 to

500+ mile rides.
I don't understand how you DON'T get more miles? :blink:

The least I've gotten out of a soft compound rear tire is 8,000 miles. The most I have gotten out of Pilot Road 2 rear is 18,000 miles. Now granted I will take tires down past the wear bars, but how much of a hoon do you ride like to get that crappy of life?

500+ mile rides.
I don't understand how you DON'T get more miles? :blink:

The least I've gotten out of a soft compound rear tire is 8,000 miles. The most I have gotten out of Pilot Road 2 rear is 18,000 miles. Now granted I will take tires down past the wear bars, but how much of a hoon do you ride like to get that crappy of life?
You are probably correct in assuming I ride like a HOONdog, most of the time I try to run between 75-95 mph on 2 lane roads & Interstate also,

unless I am in areas known to be frequented by hemorrhoid's with Polaroids or approaching towns.

Bout 50-50 split on 2 lane, 4 lane running, on my XR650R rarely got more than 600 miles out of D606 dirt only. Guess my right wrist just don't get it.

Hell I have never done more than 9500 on a pinche front tire & I don't hit the binders hard. do the slower in faster out gig. I am not bitchin,

don't mind buying tires just wondering. Do not like going much past wear bars, just like using the PPF (pinche power factor) of the FJR.

I got something like 5400 miles out of my rear BT021 POS. That was the last Bridgestone I'll ever out on my bike, so long as I have a choice. I maxed a set of Road Smarts around 7600, but think I will go over 9 grand with this current set of PR3s.

If that happens, I'll definitely stick with them.

Latest posts