Hit & Run Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain. Here's to a speedy recovery, and it sounds like you've got the right attitude. I just found out my '04 is totaled as well from our EOM get off. I'm here in SE MI as well; what dealership did you go through for the '09??

-wayne

What part of Michigan are you in?
A few miles north-west of Detroit. For anyone familiar with the area, the accident occurred on north-bound Telegraph Rd, just south of 8 Mile Rd (which just barely within the north-west corner of Detroit).

Holy s&^%! That bike took a huge whack. Here's a toast that the injuries weren't worse, though you definitely have my sympathy for what you're going through. Take things nice and easy and heal well.

Damage to the bike looks mostly cosmetic, you should be able to fix it with some decent rubbing compound. Also, it looks like the frame sliders really saved you some damage. :dribble:

Seriously, Thank God you weren't hurt alot worse. I think it was a combination of good gear and grace. Really glad your ok and will be able to enjoy your 09 FJR!!

I'm here in SE MI as well; what dealership did you go through for the '09??
Motor City Powersports

Don't know if you'd be able to get the same deal as me (and if you try, please don't say that you know of someone else that got the same deal at that specific dealer). They were quite reluctant because they said they only have 4 FJRs allocated to them next year (2 of them are AEs), and they said they have to consider that they could probably sell them off the showroom floor for more in the Spring. I think my crutches, sob story and cash-in-hand all helped with my deal.

Glad your going to be okay. I'd nail the driver so he doesn't do it again. Was there not a front plate on the bumper he left behind?

While you're at it, find the guy who tagged your bike and get him to clean off the graffiti.

Holy Crap! :dribble:

You are lucky to be among the living and have your legs to walk on. I am very glad you survived without more extreme injuries than you have. :clapping:

Take care and mend fast...

Glad your going to be okay. I'd nail the driver so he doesn't do it again. Was there not a front plate on the bumper he left behind?
While you're at it, find the guy who tagged your bike and get him to clean off the graffiti.
If he was willing to be charged with leaving the scence of an accident, hit and run, he probabley doesn't have insurance any way. :angry2: (insert few choice words here)

Glad to hear you're going to be OK.

Unfuggin' believable.
What sort of slutburger, slimebucket, fugknuckle mo’fo bitch could drive away after causing such a thing?
That's easy. An unregistered, uninsured, suspended license one.

Glad to hear the personal damage wasn't as bad as the bike carnage would lead one to expect.

If he was willing to be charged with leaving the scence of an accident, hit and run, he probabley doesn't have insurance any way. :angry2: (insert few choice words here)

Glad to hear you're going to be OK.
We only have license plates on rear bumpers in MI, so no identifying info on the front bumper.

As for insurance, it's probably better that it was a hit & run. All of my medical expenses and lost wages for staying home from work for 2 weeks is being covered by my Progressive policy through the "uninsured motorist" coverage (in MI your insurance only covers your property, the other person's insurance covers your medical). If he had stayed and had insurance, it's possible that his insurance company would not have covered as much as Progressive did.

Another lesson learned here is that if you are about to go down (whether avoiding an accident or not), you better find a way to get another car (not motorcycle) involved so that you get medical and lost wages coverage. I was told that even if I had been hit by another motorcycle, I wouldn't be getting as much coverage as I am because motorcycle accidents are completely different than motor-vehicle accidents. It's probably a good idea for everyone to talk to their insurance company to find out exactly what is covered in various situations.

Thanks for the info & I'll keep it under my hat...

I have not been up to that dealer since we moved back; I had some work done by Roseville Yamaha and they were good to deal with. Not sure what they have in the crate. I'll be shopping in a couple of months, still haven't made up my mind between used or new.

Take care and heal quickly...

Wayne

I'm here in SE MI as well; what dealership did you go through for the '09??
Motor City Powersports

Don't know if you'd be able to get the same deal as me (and if you try, please don't say that you know of someone else that got the same deal at that specific dealer). They were quite reluctant because they said they only have 4 FJRs allocated to them next year (2 of them are AEs), and they said they have to consider that they could probably sell them off the showroom floor for more in the Spring. I think my crutches, sob story and cash-in-hand all helped with my deal.

Michigan is a back plate only state, so no help there.

I wonder if the bumper cover has a VIN tag on it? Vehicles these days have the VIN plastered on body parts all over the car; it supposedly helps fight car theft. In this case I wonder if it could be used to find the offending car?

- JimY

Sounds AMAZING that you made it through that ordeal in one piece.

Glad to hear you're in relatively good shape & on the mend....close call to say the least.

Holy crap!

Glad you made it out OK. I hope the POS who hit you gets their share. Causing an accident is human. Leaving it is not.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crapola, great news that you got through this in one piece. That could have been very bad had he hit you about 24 inches further ahead. The gear clearly worked...ATGATT is king! Recover well and enjoy the new ride.

Ed

Wow - Glad to hear that your leg is green and yellow, because it's still attached! And you're alive to type about it. You just made a big case for riding with the side bags on. I wish everybody could have your positive attitude, too. Congrats on being a survivor!!!

It's also great to hear how well Progressive covered you so well, as I also have them. As for the felony hit & run driver, For anybody other than you involved in one of these hit & runs, one of those businesses will have data that you'll need to get before they over-write it, usually after just a couple of days. At least one business on the road will likely have surveillance cameras and if it's a gas station, the police can get the credit card records for a short time before the accident.