Hit & Run Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glad your alive dude. motor city traffic is murder. pun intended.

It would be nice to catch the arshole but I don't think detroit metro will make it a big priority considering you lived.

Yes.. it's that f---ed up.

Guess I'll always be riding with the bags on from now on (always have anyway) and that idea of keeping a spare helmet

in them actually makes a lot of sense.

That's why I try to move faster than the flow, but still keep an eagle eye to the rear. It diminishes the rear assault danger....
Gunny!

Glad to here you are mostly OK and the gear did it's work and you were wearing it.

Un F*cking believable. I am really glad to hear you are doing so well under the circumstances. Looking at the pics makes me cringe and ache. Holy shit. We all know that any of us could get taken out on a walk to the library but damn the reality check is scary. Heal up quick, dont rush too much, get that leg mended strong. You have a great attitude and seem to take it in stride. Life is unpredictable and sometimes even the best practices to mitigate danger cant stave off the elements we have no control over.

Thanks for sharing this story. Keep us posted on how things go and the new ride on the way!! I wont be going out of my way to share this one with the Wifey...

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn UP, those bike pics really make you stop and think. Glad your mostly OK.

Heal fast and get that '09 on the road.

--G

I'm glad you made it as well as you did. As for the ass hole that hit you, I hope he gets caught. He was willing to split and didn't care if you lived or died.

You are one lucky man. Reading your description of the accident and the pictures, your right leg should be in worse shit. And that broken frame hit from the side probably had you spinning in the air. What really bothers me is, nobody id'ed the a**ho**? If he/she is crossing the road and hit a bike, the opposite traffic will witness it. I could have chased that person while calling the cops.

He will eventually repair that bumper so watch out the collision centers, dealers and small shops. The police dept should pursue the case. These losers should be taken off the road.

Glad to hear you survived the tragedy.

Seems to me that you have a great attitude for someone who, IMO, it sounds like was severely wronged and abandoned.

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

VERY glad to hear you're doing as well as you are. That obviously could have been a whole lot worse if not for a number of factors, not the least of which was your commitment to ATGATT. I couldn't have any more contempt for the POS who hit you and left the scene.

Unless I completely misunderstood how this went down, it sounds like you may have been hanging out in someone's blind spot, keeping you out of sight from that cager and the POS who hit you. If so, this is a painful (literally) reminder to all to stay the hell out of blind spots. Not blaming here; just using the situation to remind everyone.

Heal quick, pickles. That '09 and decent riding weather will be hear before you know it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I completely misunderstood how this went down, it sounds like you may have been hanging out in someone's blind spot, keeping you out of sight from that cager and the POS who hit you. If so, this is a painful (literally) reminder to all to stay the hell out of blind spots. Not blaming here; just using the situation to remind everyone.
It's impossible to know because of my lack of memory about the accident. My description of what happened is based only on the damage to the bike, my leg, my vague memory of seeing headlights in the mirror, and some statements from witnesses that didn't actually see the collision.

I usually do avoid hanging out in blind spots, so I may have been passing through one at the time. It's impossible to completely avoid blind spots in traffic around here. I even could've been completely out of the car's blind spot, but it still hid me from view of the car that hit me... or maybe I was within plain view of the car that hit me and they "just didn't see the motorcycle".

I think the biggest reminder here is that no matter how careful and aware you are, you're only human. You can't

foresee every possible bad situation and position yourself to avoid all of them at the same time. There's always someone out there capable of making a bad decision and catching you by surprise with no time to react. That's why we insure our bikes and wear protective gear.

It seems to me that the perp could not have hit you directly from the side, as you estimate, if you saw his headlights in your mirrors before he hit you. He must have come from the side and somewhat behind, like from 4-5 o'clock.

It seems to me that the perp could not have hit you directly from the side, as you estimate, if you saw his headlights in your mirrors before he hit you. He must have come from the side and somewhat behind, like from 4-5 o'clock.
Or my memory of seeing headlights in the mirror could've been completely unrelated to the accident. Amnesia sucks. Is this what normal life will be like when I get as old as some of the geezers on this forum? :lol:

Or my memory of seeing headlights in the mirror could've been completely unrelated to the accident. Amnesia sucks. Is this what normal life will be like when I get as old as some of the geezers on this forum? :lol:
I forget... :unsure:

It is if you've forgotten where you put your skateboard...

WHOAAAAAH !! You're one lucky guy !! Glad you'll be riding another day.

Hope that karma will catch up with the asshole really soon -- and somehow you get to find out about it.