Hit & Run Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang U.P... you are one lucky/blessed dude. That could've easily been a fatality... maybe a strike 2 more feet forward. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to avoid a crash. Anytime I try to leave a buffer between me and the cages, some jackoff always jumps in the buffer zones. Glad you're okay.

I'm glad you made through this horrible incident with just a few injuries. It sounds as though you are comparatively lucky. Good luck on healing quickly and getting back to your normal condition.

I've been there with the leg (2 times) so get good on those crutches. You'll be fast on your feet in no time at all.

PS: Friday 17, huh?
Is there something special about that date over there in Italy?
Yessir. Not a lucky one. :eek:

(Although, all things considered you came out well)

Stef
From travel .com -Italy

"...It's Friday the 17th, a bad-luck day in Italy like Friday the 13th in the United States. The number 17 is also considered somewhat unlucky on its own. For example, there is no nickname for curve number 17 of the bobsled track in Cesana. Despite the superstitions, he Olympics events will go on as scheduled. What can you do to avoid bad luck? In the south some people carry a small golden horn as a lucky charm. You can touch metal - the Italian version of "touching wood". Or you can just be extra careful and hope for the best."

hmmm.. makes me think of carrying an extra helmet in the side bags when otherwise empty for some ballistic protection.

glad you're ok.

impressive/scary pictures.

Worthless people that run away from accidents like that, bullshit as far as I am concerned. Glad you are able to walk away from that accident. Heal fast.

Eric

(Glad to see another younger rider on the FJR, I think there are a few of us in the Mid 20's riding.)

wow, i'm sorry to read this but very glad your doing ok UP! good on you for getting another FJR lined up so quickly too!

Anytime I try to leave a buffer between me and the cages, some jackoff always jumps in the buffer zones.
That's why I try to move faster than the flow, but still keep an eagle eye to the rear. It diminishes the rear assault danger....

As for the guy that hit me, I am not aware of any information that could lead to them being found besides the bumper they left behind. The combination of insurance through my employer and through Progressive has completely taken care of me and leaves me with very little motivation to put any effort into finding the driver. I'd be happy enough if they just wonder if they killed someone for the rest of their life. Since I'm OK, I doubt the police will go after them either.
Dang U-P, what a waste of time out of your life and a beautiful bike. Sorry it had to happen to ya but glad your gonna mend; and I'll certainly be watching my 5-6-7 more carefully in the future.

As for the hit-and-run-SOB, I can't believe the police are going to take the accidient more seriously. I know that when something like this happens around Atlanta the whole community is alerted and the perp (not the term I really want to use) is usually found pretty quickly. With a bumper as evidence I wouldn't think it would be that hard to track them down. :grrr:

Hang in there `cuz you know we're all rootin' for ya and your new `09!!

Best,

VP

Always hate to hear of someone going down, but always glad to hear that someone survives and is able to ride again. Hope you heal quickly and enjoy the new bike even though it won't be the Black Cherry one anymore.

And Vroompuppy is right about the Atlanta area, The media would have the SOB on a stick in no time if at all possible!

What part of Michigan are you in?
A few miles north-west of Detroit. For anyone familiar with the area, the accident occurred on north-bound Telegraph Rd, just south of 8 Mile Rd (which just barely within the north-west corner of Detroit).

That area has some crappy traffic. Seems like you have a great attitude- I would want to slowly kill the m***f'r!!

You are way more calm about this than I could have been in the circumstances. (Perhaps that bump to the head is still affecting you).

Glad you are still here to tell us about it.

Heal fast.

Don't body parts on modern cars have VIN information? Or is that just major parts like fanders and doors?

Of course if the part was torn away and not intact, the VIN informatio (if there in the first place) might not be on the part.

If it were me (which of course it isn't) I would not be happy until everything I knew to try was exhausted in the search for the fiend low-life worthless scum-sucking moron who deserves to be dumped into a pit of scorpions. (Parking lot surveillance camera, traffic light camera, drivethrough window camera, . . .something!) The next hit-and-run I hear about I would wonder if it was "my" guy, and why didn't I get him off the street?

I didn't mean that as a judgment, sorry if it sounded that way. I just hate the injustice of people who can't face the music, which ultimately costs all of us in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man. I put offf reading this post for as long as possible. Glad you're Ok and will be riding soon again. That's some scary crap. And the sucker ran, that's even more bullcrap! Didn't even hang around to see if you were hurt badly or anything. Everyone be careful out there.

Excellent that you made it through to ride another day. Damn cars are out to kill us for sure... bastards!

Question regarding accessories, etc...

After an accident like this, are you allowed to go back to the bike and remove accessories such as power commanders, olin shocks, GPS, Russell seat, etc after the fact? I noticed that $3k was provided for gear and accessories but if I'm the norm when it comes to farkles, there is much more value than that added to the bike. Just wondering how that works...

Useless,

Man, I am glad you are doing fine and have a great attitude. I have a feeling your bags may have taken some of the brunt of the force and you are all the better for it.

Perhaps you can go out and check Eminem's bumper...

Best wishes to your speedy recovery and another bike.

Excellent that you made it through to ride another day. Damn cars are out to kill us for sure... bastards!
Question regarding accessories, etc...

After an accident like this, are you allowed to go back to the bike and remove accessories such as power commanders, olin shocks, GPS, Russell seat, etc after the fact? I noticed that $3k was provided for gear and accessories but if I'm the norm when it comes to farkles, there is much more value than that added to the bike. Just wondering how that works...
I was allowed to remove all aftermarket items that were still good, but that didn't include anything quite as major as a rear shock. I would've taken the power commander, but it wouldn't power up. I was able to save my Garmin Zumo, stem mount, K&N air filter and powerlet outlet. The Zumo was scraped up on the top, but it seems to be OK. But just because it was scraped up, the insurance adjuster included it in the claim. Another interesting thing is that the side cases were considered accessories because they didn't show up in any of the parts lists for the bike that the insurance adjuster referenced. Riding gear is also lumped in as accessories for my policy.

I got lucky with my accessories coverage this time (because some of my accessories are re-usable even though they were claimed, and the side case confusion), but I'll probably look into increasing the amount of coverage when I get the new bike. You should check how much coverage you have for accessories and whether that includes riding gear. A previous policy I had treated riding gear separately.

Holy Shit UP!!! Glad you're ok. Your bike looks like crap, and as a lot of people have already mentioned, I think you came out pretty good. You are now a poster child for wearing good gear. It looks like that saved you a world of extra hurt. Glad you were wearing your helmet too. All those marks and cracks would have ended up on your naked skull otherwise; but I'm sure you know that.

As for the Hit and Run butt-hole that hit you, as soon as I was healed up, I would be looking for that person to extract their entire life savings from them. It I remember correctly, after about 1995, manufacturers began putting VINs on all major parts. If you have a newer car, open the trunk, hood or doors, and you will find a VIN sticker. If the police saved this piece or inspected it as they should have, they most likely should have found the VIN. Even if they did not, it is likely they know what kind of car it came off of and can start looking for it. It's not really that hard to do, but motivation on the investigator's part is key.

Either way, still glad your ok. Enjoy the '09.