How do you use your Sena ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hooked up my Sena SMH10 this weekend. Easy to pair with Garmin 350LM and I-phone. No problem hearing directions or music from I-phone. When I got back to my house I tried to make a phone call. The person I called said there was a lot of background noise and my voice was garbled. I was standing in my driveway, so there was no wind noise. The mic is directly in front of my mouth (stick-on mic on a Shoei Qwest. Any suggestions? Do you have similar problems?
Steve:

Pull the mic away from your mouth. It's not like a walkie-talkie. If the mike is too close it'll sound like crap. If using the stick-on mike, actually drop the mike below the level of your gob. Near your chin is probably good and speak normally.

I've been using an SMH10 for about 9 months. I'm pretty happy with B2B, but like most others, I need to read the manual and learn how it's supposed to function. For music, GPS, Satellite Radio, and IPhone, It's pretty darn good. Volume with ear plugs hasn't been a problem.

using the SMH10 along with the sena hub and PTT. as mentioned above, each bike has a GMRS linked to their comm system of choice. some have starcom, some sena. it works pretty well.

on my bike the hub handles the radar dectector along with my iphone for protection and tunes/GPS/Waze/etc and the PTT handles the B2B coms.

very happy with the system in general

To answer the original question:

A group of 4 of us use the conference feature once a year, when we go to MotoGP at Laguna Seca. In other words, last year was the last time we'll use the conferencing :-(

The way you need to work it is sort of confusing and since we only use it rarely, someone always needs to brush up and remind the group. The first 2 riders conference with each other, then rider 3 conferences with either rider 1 or 2, and rider 4 conferences with rider 3. I think. Or maybe rider 4 conferences with rider 2. Or maybe 1? You see, this is why we have to check since we rarely do it.

We typically just leave an open channel and just chat with each other with no music. I think I'm pretty entertaining, and everyone else think's they're entertaining, so we have a heck of a good time lane-sharing (go go California!) and making fun of other drivers in traffic.

I personally hate VOX activation. It means someone else has to listen to my singing voice, and I don't trust ANY of my friends not to secretly record it and submit it here. It seems like every time I update my firmware, Sena tries to force me into believing that VOX is the way to go. I don't find out until I'm ignoring a phone call only to have someone screaming "HELLOOOO??" into my ear.

I'm excited about the 20S coming out. The hope is that the dual bluetooth radios will, among other things, allow us to play our own music and also have an open channel.

I love the Sena! I think the SMH10 is incredibly well-designed. Not so much the SM10, but that's a story for another time.

I'd just like to point out that intercom and phone volume is plenty loud; music not so much.
I had the same problem with music being too quiet and found a simple and free solution. Get a copy of a program called mp3gain and use it to adjust the volume level of your mp3 files. There's various options in the program, but you can easily boost the volume of all songs in a folder or drive (all at once).

I haven't had an issue with the music being too low. I simply increase the volume on my phone then use the Sena knob to adjust for riding conditions/noise.

All this jog dial stuff is putting me off the Sena, as I don't have that with the Scala G4.... I am hoping the S20 isn't like that, will wait to read the owner's manual first.... I am looking to pair up with the Motorola MU350 radio eventually but don't want to be pushing buttons to switch from GPS to radio to intercom, etc....... VOX on the Scala works fine.

What are you talking about? All the jog dial does is adjust volume, activate the intercom, or move music up and down. Intercom, GPS, music and phone all prioritize and are automatic.

Its not magic. The jog dial is actually very convenient. Some of you outta figure out how to use the internet and go to the Sena site.

How loud are the Sena units? I am used to using J & M equipment, but I don't really have the same needs now and think the Sena may be better if it is loud enough... 13" shield on the FJR and always wear earplugs and can't turn the current setup all the way up!
I was recently able to clearly hear spoken word audio books and music on my FJR going down I10 in West Texas at 80-85mph wearing earplugs with my brand new Sena. I was really impressed!

All this jog dial stuff is putting me off the Sena, as I don't have that with the Scala G4.... I am hoping the S20 isn't like that, will wait to read the owner's manual first.... I am looking to pair up with the Motorola MU350 radio eventually but don't want to be pushing buttons to switch from GPS to radio to intercom, etc....... VOX on the Scala works fine.
The Sena Jog dial is one of the best features.

I had the same problem with music being too quiet and found a simple and free solution. Get a copy of a program called mp3gain and use it to adjust the volume level of your mp3 files. There's various options in the program, but you can easily boost the volume of all songs in a folder or drive (all at once).
Cool will have to try this thanks. i find that with earplugs in I would like a bit more volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm staying with my old flip phone because my family plan includes luddites that refuse the expense and learning curve required of smart phone plans. But I acquired a Samsung Galaxy S2 for free from someone that no longer needed it. So I pair the flip phone to the Sena SMH10 in phone only mode (5 seconds of phone button on the Sena and after tones within 2 seconds tap phone button again). I then pair the S2 to the Sena in Media mode only (5 seconds of the phone button and after tones within 2 seconds tap the jog dial). I can then use the S2 for music/audio books and the phone for calls. The Sena is smart enough to prioritize the phone over the media.

I also use the S2 for email and internet wherever wifi is available, like my favorite stops, Dairy Queen.

Since I am waffling on the Sena S20 or the Scala G9x (have a G4 now), help me understand that having to remove your hands from the bars and pushing buttons is better than the Scala where everything communicates automatically via the priorities you preset for GPS instructions, phone, intercom, etc. and intercom works with VOX (which you can set on or off). Scala G4 also can switch intercom on or off between 2 others with the push of a button if you need to. I expect G9 can switch with more. I am also wanting to add the Motorola MU350 so need another channel that seems to be on newer units.

Since I am waffling on the Sena S20 or the Scala G9x (have a G4 now), help me understand that having to remove your hands from the bars and pushing buttons is better than the Scala where everything communicates automatically via the priorities you preset for GPS instructions, phone, intercom, etc. and intercom works with VOX (which you can set on or off). Scala G4 also can switch intercom on or off between 2 others with the push of a button if you need to. I expect G9 can switch with more. I am also wanting to add the Motorola MU350 so need another channel that seems to be on newer units.
The Sena communicates automatically via priorities too, but they are [Edit:]NOT user-configurable. I've never had an issue with it; they make sense (I use it for phone, intercom, music and GPS directions). Here's their priority list:

1. HSP/HFP (Phone or GPS audio guidance**)
  2. Intercom (Communication between SMH10s)
  3. Stereo music by audio cable through MP3 jack of the SMH10
  4. A2DP (wireless stereo music)
Intercom and phone can be triggered with VOX (you can turn it on / off). The Sena can switch intercom on/off between 3 others with a push of the jog dial (one tap for pairing #1, two taps for pairing #2, three taps for pairing #3). Sidetone can also be turned on/off, as can microphone boost and EDR BT.

Sena has been pretty good about updating their product features based on user requests, as the firmware is upgradeable. The forum is here.

They are hit and miss on the execution though ... so far the main ones I've been involved with have been a combination baseplate (speakers and earbuds), more volume and sidetone. At the very least, they are pretty responsive to questions, troubleshooting etc.

Note that they are working on allowing more than three pairings, using a "buddy list" (do me a favor and go to that link and click on the "Me too!" link... )

I don't know if Cardo has the same level of customer support.

One feature on the Sena units I've found critical: ability to continue using while charging. I've seen friends have to remove Scala units and charge leaving them no communication ability for up to 3 hours while it charges in one of their bags. Sena allows me to charge on the fly.

Thanks for the clarifications..... sounds like minor differences between the two, button pushes to switch intercom, both firmware upgradeable, etc. I don't think Scala has the microphone boost or side tone controls, maybe the G9. As for battery life, my Scalas will go 12 hours, sometimes 2 days or more, but it all depends on intercom usage which sucks up more power. Those who go less than a day are simply gabbing way too much. Unsafe and distracting..... I had a buddy yakking to me constantly, and I had to shut him down........

PS - Scala is waterproof, Sena is only water resistant...... anybody have issues?

Still holding out to see the documentation on the S20........ it may have the edge.

Thanks for the clarifications..... sounds like minor differences between the two, button pushes to switch intercom, both firmware upgradeable, etc. I don't think Scala has the microphone boost or side tone controls, maybe the G9. As for battery life, my Scalas will go 12 hours, sometimes 2 days or more, but it all depends on intercom usage which sucks up more power. Those who go less than a day are simply gabbing way too much. Unsafe and distracting..... I had a buddy yakking to me constantly, and I had to shut him down........PS - Scala is waterproof, Sena is only water resistant...... anybody have issues?

Still holding out to see the documentation on the S20........ it may have the edge.
We rode 120 miles in constant rain with no issues! Also one battery lasted 11 hours with virtually constant intercom use, the other was still going, with gps connected too, before we charged up both units. We use the little Sena 5's, which are supposed to have shorter battery life than the 10's.

I run my music through my Scala, so it is always on while the bike is moving. I have ridden multiple 15-17 hour days and one 23 hour stint. Mine never died because I put it on the charger at every gas stop.

I have ridden through a couple torrential downpours. Never been a problem. I also thought the Sena is waterproof...To a point.

Ridden in hard rain for long distances and never had a problem.

The only times my battery has died is when I forget to charge it. It lasted through a saddlesore on a single charge, twice. That's listening to podcasts and music almost the entire way. Not much gabbing.

Latest posts