How many would be interested in an Alsaska Ride in 2010?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Information on travelling in Canada.

First, Canada is not one of the US states. US law does not apply to you in any way while travelling in Canada. Your rights under the US Constitution do not apply to you in Canada.

Convicted felons are not allowed across the border into Canada. This includes individuals with DUI convictions. You will be turned around at the border. Don't even try.

Firearms are severly restricted in Canada. It's generally not worth the trouble to do the Canadian paperwork for transport. Cans of "Bear Spray" are legal and available if you're worried about wild animals. Google "Canada gun law" or similar if you want to do hours of research. There's a ton of info out there, but the system is so problematic that I haven't even bothered...... and I live there 6 months a year.

You MUST have a US Passport or Nexus card to make the border crossing.

Riding far above the posted speed limit seems extremely counterproductive in Canada with US registered plates. Rural RCMP officers tend to take a strict interpretation of their laws, and the possibility of an animal strike is VERY real if you're more than 100 miles north of the US border. If you don't see wildlife in the road at least twice a day, you must asleep at the controls.

Information on travelling in Alaska.

Alaska considers itself to be the last frontier. There are probably more civil liberties in Alaska than any other place in the US. There are essentially no firearms laws. Wildlife on the roadway will be a concern, but in general, there is no real need to be as proper as one might be in Canada.

REMEMBER.

As you travel farther and farther north and west of Vancouver, BC, Canada, the need to be self reliant and independent increases with every mile. Facilities are few and far between. Fuel stops should be taken whenever available, even though you still have 5/8 of a tank showing on the gauge. There is not a Yamaha or other motorcycle dealer every 50 miles. It can take hours to get from an accident site to a suitable hospital.

You will be rewarded with scenery and memories that will last your lifetime. Hundreds and hundreds of miles with no powerlines, majestic mountains, raging rivers, and wildlife straight out of National Geographic will be everywhere. You won't need to go looking for scenery. It comes looking for you.

REMEMBER.
As you travel farther and farther north and west of Vancouver, BC, Canada, the need to be self reliant and independent increases with every mile. Facilities are few and far between. Fuel stops should be taken whenever available, even though you still have 5/8 of a tank showing on the gauge. There is not a Yamaha or other motorcycle dealer every 50 miles. It can take hours to get from an accident site to a suitable hospital.

You will be rewarded with scenery and memories that will last your lifetime. Hundreds and hundreds of miles with no powerlines, majestic mountains, raging rivers, and wildlife straight out of National Geographic will be everywhere. You won't need to go looking for scenery. It comes looking for you.
:yahoo: Yes! :yahoo: Yes! :yahoo: Yes! :yahoo: I have no ideea at this point in time if this trip is within the realm of possibility for me.... but I love the visual image. I'll just keep tabs and thanks Gents.

A view from the Cassiar Highway in July, 2007.

n1055077886_51791_6831.jpg

I'm interested....

That would make myself a nice 50th birthday present!

The ride, AND the KTM 640

640Adventure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested....
That would make myself a nice 50th birthday present!

The ride, AND the KTM 640

640Adventure.jpg

I think the Alaska trip would be the Ultimate. I would love to do it in 2010 but I would need to get some finances in check. I didn't realize it could take up to a month. Time to start saving up some vacation time.

Me n Wabs will be there, one way or the other.

Maybe with a group, maybe alone.

Still have this spring/summer/fall/winter/spring2010 to pratice the camping thing. :fuck:

ADVRider has done it to me again. Looking at the Ride Reports over there and seeing some of the Photo's of the Scenery from Alaska as my wheels turning. I know I would not have a pure ADV bike but I have seen some posts on here also about people riding there feejers to Alaska. So I am wondering if it may be possible to get a group from here that wanted to go for summer 2010? I realize that not everyone is lucky enough :clapping: to live in California so if others were interested maybe would could meet up somewhere along the road up close to Canada or somewhere? Also I would love to help organize but also feel it would be better if someone who has been there before and kinda knew what to expect spearheaded it, I would be more than glad to help out though? So who would be interested?
New member here...

I had a trip planned for this summer and bought an F650GS Dakar for it, but the trip has been put off to summer 2010. You can see a thread I started on Advrider in the Trip Planning --> Americas section under the title: "Alaska / Yukon Question: Highway 1 or 2?". (Probably on Page 100 by now. Do a serach for it.) I got a lot of folks from up there to help me with the planning and think I've put together an awesome 3-week trip. Our trip starts and ends in Seattle, involves some ferry rides and hits most of the "must-see" points up there. (I did the trip in '96 with an old FJ1200 and it was the trip of a lifetime!) I'll be happy to share my MS Streets & Trips file if you want to see it. Just PM me. Our trip is set up for DS bikes though and includes some roads that may be a bit tough on a large sport-tourer though.

A few comments:

- I think any bike can make most of the roads up there, but you may want to get some advice from locals on where you may want to avoid. Once you're up there you can look in to the construction zones, which can be challenging.

- I wouldn't encourage a large group for this type of ride - 2 to 4 is probably ideal. (Possibly several small groups.)

- Plan to ride in the rain!

- Include Dawson City in the Yukon territory.

- You may want to ship up or carry some spare tires, depending on where you're going to ride. Some of the roads will tear up "normal" street tires.

- Consider using the ferry system to add more territory / range to your plans.

- Consider the tire type you may want for the roads up there.

- Bears seem to be the big concern when planning these trips. In fact, they are not a significant danger. Just use common sense.

- Gas is plentiful on the main roads up there.

- The milepost may be a good book to carry with you. I'm not a huge fan of it that much anymore as it has sort of turned in to the yellow pages with tons of ads. However, it's good for pre-planning motel / gas stops, etc. or even while while you're under way.)

- Weather can range from warm to downright cold and nasty, especially if you venture north of Fairbanks!

- Did I mention it rains a lot up there?

Check out my thread and let me know if you want the S&T file.

Good luck,

Rick

We're looking real hard at Alaska for 2010. Want a dual sport before we go, but the FJR will likely get the duty. Our plan is to ride into Seattle in early May, park the bikes for a month while we fly home and work, then fly back up in June and ride to AK. Planning on that section being two to three weeks. More later, have to go to WORK now. When am I going to hit the lottery?

I live in Fairbanks and can answer most question any of you may have. I look forward to getting some visitors up here to harrass anyway!

A group ride to Alaska sounds like a great adventure! Early planning is just the ticket for success!

However, and this is a big butt, as I gain in years, bike camping is something I am not really to fond of anymore, gimme a nice room, screaming hot showers, spankyvision in HD, lots of ice cold beer and a well shaken, not stirred martini. then thick rare steaks, followed by a nice clean fresh bed! I am not a momma's boy, just worked hard all my life and want some creature comfort, Thats why I bought a FJR! So, please count me in as a possible!

FarWestFastEddie, Eureka! Ca.

So far, only one person has joined the Yahoo group.
That would be me. No problem if you shut it down.

I am about 3k miles from from the starting point if I ride the slab all the way, and I won't. Looks like I'll need to plan for a week each way and 2 weeks for Alaska. This will be quite an adventure and I hope it works out for me, but I won't be able to commit for a while yet.