HOW TO VIDEOS - Q&A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will wait for the executive summary...

I appreciate the time and effort that goes in to a review like this but I am (like many) unlikely to sit through a 28 minute video on this topic (and this is just part one of two)! Seriously, you will get a lot more attention for your subject if you edit this down to five or ten minutes at most.

So don't watch it. My vids are obviously not for you. Plenty of others love them
smile.png
I won't watch it either, and here is why:

This is just a personal opinion, likely not supported by many here, it's just me.

Forums are places where information is freely traded. I come here to learn from others, share what I can and enjoy a little fun along the way. That basically means that if I want to share on the Forum, I put the information here, on the Forum. Maybe with a link to cross-posting on another Blog. The only exception to thios are my Ride Reports which are extras, and hosted elsewhere.

What I tend to avoid are posts that simply appear to drive traffic away from this forum to another place.

As I said, it's a personal thing and it's just me. I'm sure your posts are informative and valuable, but I'd like to see them here ...

So don't watch it. My vids are obviously not for you. Plenty of others love them :)
I've watched a few of your "productions".

My observed action is that you produce very well thought out and extremely detailed vids.

My other observation is that you love the sound of your own voice.

I have stopped watching' 5# of info in a 15# sack.

Sorry,

I'm surprised as someone who claims to have so much bike expertise, you never used ear plugs while riding.

Not really a fair comparison though, since your ears are smaller than average and not all plugs would fit the same.

BTW, Since your ears are so small, what does your wife hold on to?
smile.png

Being one that suffers from tinnitus I want all the noise protection I can get.

I have been using Howard Leight Max foam ear plugs for the last three years and have yet to find anything that blocks noise like those do including the Surefire EP7.

I ordered the EP7's and was very disappointed in the lack of noise protection, so back to the Howard Leight foam plugs I go.

I can wear these foam ear plugs all day long and have no discomfort.

I have to agree with others on this forum in regards to the length of your videos, but thanks for your report.

I've used range plugs, ear buds/mp3 player, and foam plugs.

So far the low pressure variety of foam plugs seems to work best for me

I have very minimal high frequency hearing loss, (rock & roll, baby!), so occasionally wear hearing aids, such as when recording musicians, or attending meetings or lectures.

While others may find these instructionals useful, I generally have little use for 'how-to' videos, and much prefer a combination of text and still images. Video instructions present information in a linear fashion, and I prefer non-linear, for the speed and effortlessness with which I can access the individual steps of a process, without having to 'rewind'

IMO, we have, as a culture, become enamoured with video, and have forgotten the advantages of still images and well-written text

$0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I like his video's. Keep up the good work.
I too like his vids ... Produced well and definitely contain a lot of good information ...

I do not think that I have ever watched one all the way through without fast forwarding and jumping around to find the relevant information buried in the sea of words though ...

They are some of the best produced vids I have seen and, Ill still watch but I would find them much more valuable if they were boiled down considerably ...

So there is my respectful and constructive criticism for the day ...

Now, I have to leave to go berate a co-worker ;-)

For someone like myself who is wrench-challenged, the videos are very helpful. Beats pix any day. Little long, sure, but better too long than too short.

But a separate thread for them started elsewhere in the forum, too. That's not cool so it's merged here where we set up a specifically-pinned thread to support you.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=101656&st=0&do=findComment&comment=388972

While it shouldn't have to be said, please create threads in the correct area. Don't create in another area you know isn't correct to "get more exposure". And definitely don't start a thread twice. Doing one of both of these is bound to attract unwanted attention from your administrator hosts as they clean up the mess.
-UPDATE-

Since K started his video works, I have personally been working to wedge his "lightly commercial" initial attempts into our long-held non-commercial stance. I've spent a lot of time in creating a pinned area to showcase his videos, clarifying the published rules, and editing errant threads when they reproduced outside of the agreed/pinned (showcased) area.

With the last bump (which wasn't the first time it happened) of additional threads in other subsections of the forum, the Admins took a closer look at both the content and the input from other forum members. We were forced to ask ourselves if the nature of the relationship had changed since the original approval.

With an eye toward the FJR Forum's published rules which everyone is asked to read and abide by when creating their account.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=101656&st=0&do=findComment&comment=388972

In this case, the areas of concern were:

Commercial Activity/Selling on the Board
You are only allowed to use the forum as a member, not as a commercial vendor. Anything that could be construed as marketing, advertising, or sales related activities without Administrator approval will not be tolerated. Please contact and Administrator in advance if you think you may represent a unique FJR-specific commercial interest on the board.

and

While it shouldn't have to be said, please create threads in the correct area. Don't create in another area you know isn't correct to "get more exposure". And definitely don't start a thread twice. Doing one of both of these is bound to attract unwanted attention from your administrator hosts as they clean up the mess.

It was this 2nd one that created the focus this time and lead to a reconsideration of the first one; especially the "get more exposure" given the growing commercial nature of the activity.

Anyone unsure of how a forum might change when excessive commercial interests get involve need only look at how Sport-Touring.net changed when the original owner sold it to a conglomeration (or most car sites flooded with banner ads, etc.).

All of this was openly discussed with K and options were suggested. One suggestion was to post links directly to his Youtube-hosted videos. They still include pre-rolls but those pre-rolls offer an early (2 second) skip for viewers who prefer not to be pitched. At this time, K has chosen to walk away instead of trying to work with us to reach a compromise.

Why am I sharing all this back info? Because I really wanted this to work. From the beginning it was an effort at dancing on the edge of the published rules (which other vendors have abided by) but I felt it was a different take on basic maintenance that could benefit the FJR Forum members.

That leaves me in the unenviable position of having to lock the threads. The Admins have agreed to leave the existing content visible for those who have benefited from it. I may do the heavy lifting of pointing to his Youtube videos directly so as to ensure the original approval conditions are met.

In the mean time, the offer remains open to K, if he wants to fire it back up within the constraints of FJR Forum's published rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.