I had such a nice ride today ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the club Fred. Glad you rode it out ok and damage was minimal. Ignore Brodie, please! Besides the day-glo paint job issue, Gen I subframes are steel not aluminum, IIRC. I hope the repairs go quickly and smoothly for you.

I'm thinking of going hunting too. Sighted in my 1928 Mosin Nagrant last weekend, it was off an inch to the right at 100 yards on iron sites, on sandbags of course. I didn't adjust it at all firgured I trigger on the right side so I compensated. About time we bikers got some hair of the dog!

To think after 40 years of cartoon related trauma I now want to go kill Bambi's mom.

Thanks.

Yeah, I just finished de-installing my HIDs and stuck the halogens back in before I bring the old girl in, because I know the repair guys are NOT going to want to fool around with all that extra wiring in the nose. Amazing how in less than an hour I completely removed the HIDs that (I seem to recall) took about 6 hours to install. :blink:

Snooping around under the hood I couldn't find anything in the front sub frame that was bent or broken. Lots of broken plastic, but the metal stuff looks OK. We'll see...

Hope OCfjr doesn't tell me I'm boring everyone to death again when he reads this...

...I just finished de-installing my HIDs...before I bring the old girl in, because I know the repair guys are NOT going to want to fool around with all that extra wiring in the nose...
The first time I dropped my bike with Brian and Jacques I had defarkled it of everything. When I picked it up I put it all back on. The second time I dropped off my FJR it never occurred to me that they would have to pull the engine again so I left all the farkles on. When I picked up my FJR I was surprised to see that they had hooked everything back up. Brian did mention something about 'Holy shit, you have way too much crap on your bike'. I'm sure they will appreciate your housekeeping.

Based on what you have been able to see for damage it sounds real optimistic that it will be a simple repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club Fred. Glad you rode it out ok and damage was minimal. Ignore Brodie, please! Besides the day-glo paint job issue, Gen I subframes are steel not aluminum, IIRC. I hope the repairs go quickly and smoothly for you.
Sorry to inform you that at least mine was all aluminum with 2 stell threaded inserts......maybe yours is steel?

Thanks.
Yeah, I just finished de-installing my HIDs and stuck the halogens back in before I bring the old girl in, because I know the repair guys are NOT going to want to fool around with all that extra wiring in the nose. Amazing how in less than an hour I completely removed the HIDs that (I seem to recall) took about 6 hours to install. :blink:

Snooping around under the hood I couldn't find anything in the front sub frame that was bent or broken. Lots of broken plastic, but the metal stuff looks OK. We'll see...
Glad you're OK....if the mirrors are straight the subframe is likely OK

jim

Thanks all, for the well wishes. Really appreciated to know all you'se guys care.
One of the more curiously inexplicable circumstances about this little doe strike was that;

when it was over, and there were no deer entrails decorating the remainder of my bike's front end,

and there was only (relatively) minor damage to the venerable bass boat blue beast,

and as I was riding it home with the headlight bucket aiming for Ursula Major,

I felt a certain eerie calm elation at having cheated the reaper just a while today.

Weird... I know. And maybe just a touch melodramatic.

But hey, that's how I roll. :rolleyes:
:clapping: Wow Fred. Really glad to see ya made it relatively unscathed! In 1990 I wasn't so lucky. Imagine my surprise when I collided with a doe in an open urban area of Danville (San Francisco) while coming home after a night shift. The Concours was a mess & I spent many a month hobbling around on crutches. Glad you're well. :clapping:

Hope OCfjr doesn't tell me I'm boring everyone to death again when he reads this...
:lol: I did not say that. Only told you we'd never forget if you kept bringing it up.

I was charged a little extra the one time I left all the crap on for a valve adjust by the dealer. I'd say you're on track Fred, even a good shop can screw up the non-standard farkles.

When I straitened my front sub frame to get mirrors and panels back where they needed to be it sure didn't bend like aluminum on my '04. I know the piece is a completely different part on Gen IIs. No idea about Gen Is. Mine appeared to be tubular steel with tabs welded on. It has been a while since I looked at it though. :pardon:

:lol: I did not say that. Only told you we'd never forget if you kept bringing it up.
Well, just because it isn't true doesn't mean it isn't funny... :lol:

I've almost forgotten who it was that started the whole darkside craze in Feejerdom. Anyone remember? :p

Fred,

Sorry to hear. Glad your ok. It seems that the unforeseen can happen so quickly.

More than a few fellows come to mind having not survived deer strikes.

Take care,

WW

Fred, happy to hear the only damage was plastic.

I don't hunt any more, but told the grandson and his dad that if they run out of shells, let me know. I'll buy them some more.

Good to see you are getting a sense of humor about it Fred, that's about all we can do. I'm with airboss, don't hunt myself, but more than glad to buy the bullets!

Fred ~

I somehow missed your post until this morning... glad it's "only" plastic damage, and that you're all right!

I just returned from a trip down through eastern Oregon to Alturas, CA and across Hwy 299 into Redding. By the time I got as far as Alturas, it was getting on toward sunset, and I knew I'd be riding directly into the setting sun, on prime forest rat infested roads. I was also getting pretty tired, having covered about 675 miles at that point.

Needless to say, I was more than a little paranoid about the chance of an encounter with Bambi or friend!

Got safely across the mountain to Bella Vista, about 15 miles east of Redding when I came over a little rise around a bend, and there was a fresh kill lying on the center line... that ratcheted-up the paranoia a notch or two!

Got into Redding proper and was only two blocks from my sisters house. As I rounded a corner and started up the hill to her place, there was a huge 4 or 5 point buck standing right in the middle of the freakin street, just looking at me. He ambled off the road as I down shifted into 2nd while slowing to about 5- 10 mph. I swear he gave me the finger as I idled past :unsure: :clapping:

I knew I was tired and was riding to compensate, but it's amazing how each of the two sightings sent the old adrenaline count through the roof!

Glad you weren't hurt and that the apparent damage is cosmetic!

Don

Just saw this Fred-glad to hear that you kept your baby upright! I hope to see you Saturday for an update.

The top deer states need to do an additional reintroduction program, say a 1:10 ratio so that every Bambi has a chance to turn around and see this:

Wolf.jpg

Yabbut... then we'd be running into the dreaded bambi stampedes year round as they are getting chased around relentlessly by the big bad wolves. At least now we only have total deer frenzy when us humans are out stalking the ruminants in the fall (oh yeah, and also when they coincidentally wanna have a lil' nookie).

So, I heard from my friendly Progressive adjuster and also from the shop today. It seems the shop estimate is right in line with the adjuster's, so everything should progress nicely. When the Progressive people initially contacted me they said they wanted everything regarding this claim to go as smoothly as possible so that I would recommend them to my friends. So far, they are doing a damn good job of achieving their goal.

Big ticket stuff that has to go:

Front cowl

Upper left cowl

Upper right cowl

Headlight bucket

Headlight support bracket

Front fender

Damage: $1840.41 (I pay only the 250 deductible)

The shop estimates having parts on hand by the end of next week. I might actually get to ride this bike again in 2. It's gonna look like a new bike (from the tank forward). Scha-weet!

Yes, that's right. I can now encourage you all to follow my lead and go find some soft and furry forest critters to help wipe all your unwanted old tupperware off against. Just do make sure that your insurance policies are paid up to date (both bike and life). :blink:

Fred ~

Glad it's going smoothly so far... hope it keeps up for ya!

Hope you get some more rides in before the fleeting good weather abandons us.

Don

Sorry to hear about your strike. I hadn't read this thread until now, but thanks for your responses to my PM's about the Russell seats. "Had I But Only Known..." I would have held off for the standard one week mourning period. ;) We (Grace and I) were out riding the southwestern covered bridges Monday, since we can't make it this weekend.

Anyway, glad to hear you're OK.

Pepperell

I felt a certain eerie calm elation at having cheated the reaper just a while today.
An understandable and probably not uncommon thing Fred. Staying alive is great, huh?

Disturbing to hear of your incident, but geez, a relief to everyone that you're still Fred.

And almost as cool to hear that the insurance stuff will work out well.

All the best brother.