I had such a nice ride today ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got into Redding proper and was only two blocks from my sisters house. As I rounded a corner and started up the hill to her place, there was a huge 4 or 5 point buck standing right in the middle of the freakin street,
I was in MalWart the other day (but have seen other places) -- stacks of big bags of deer feed. Yep..., people feed 'em (can you believe it...?)...! :eek: :angry:

So, I heard from my friendly Progressive adjuster and also from the shop today. It seems the shop estimate is right in line with the adjuster's, so everything should progress nicely. When the Progressive people initially contacted me they said they wanted everything regarding this claim to go as smoothly as possible so that I would recommend them to my friends. So far, they are doing a damn good job of achieving their goal.Damage: $1840.41 (I pay only the 250 deductible)

The shop estimates having parts on hand by the end of next week. I might actually get to ride this bike again in 2. It's gonna look like a new bike (from the tank forward). Scha-weet!

Yes, that's right. I can now encourage you all to follow my lead and go find some soft and furry forest critters to help wipe all your unwanted old tupperware off against. Just do make sure that your insurance policies are paid up to date (both bike and life). :blink:
Yep..., insurance companies love all the deer carnage (as long as the medical bills don't get out-of-hand...) -- they can sell more policies and folks don't complain (too much) about the cost. :(

More than a few fellows come to mind having not survived deer strikes.
That, there, is the 'down-side' -- (potential) death or serious injury/maiming...! :( :angry:

Something else I've been thinking about regarding deer strikes (for obvious reasons):

It seems as if a higher percentage of motorcyclists hit deer (or as in my case, have a deer hit them) than auto drivers. This is counter intuitive considering the much larger frontal profile of a car or truck, and the greater risk of personal injury the 'cyclists undertake. You'd think cars would tag many more of the evil rodents.

Maybe the real stats don't bear out my impressions, which may be biased by the severity of tangling with deer on a bike.

But I was wondering if it has something to do with the noise of the bikes, or appearance of one oncoming. Maybe the deer think of us as a predator and take flight at the last minute, right in our oncoming path.

Or maybe they just like messing with us... :angry:

I've been "lucky" enough to hit a deer twice now. THe time before it was a much bigger buck, at dusk, at the edge of a big field in rural Maine. But I was in my Dad's 3/4 ton International Harvester pickemup truck that time. Big Red, we called it. Dented the fender and grille, but that one didn't get away.

Anyway, someone ought to do some real research into this kinda thing.

There's gotta be some college students somewhere looking for a good thesis... ;)

It seems as if a higher percentage of motorcyclists hit deer (or as in my case, have a deer hit them) than auto drivers.
Is that a documented fact, or just an observation? I would agree that it seems that way. However, do many motorcyclists get a glancing blow that doesn't do much damage, as a car driver might? Since the car is bigger and heavier than the deer, the car is almost always going to win (unless he swerves/rolls and hits something bigger). The motorcycle has much more potential for damage, and thus the rider does too. I suggest that it's only the toughest of riders that can keep the bike upright and minimize damage to self.

Like you, I'd be interested to see a study on this. Perhaps the goverment will initiate a deer training program to teach them about avoiding motorcyclists?

(Note to admin - that was sarcasm, rather than politics). :rolleyes:

Something else I've been thinking about regarding deer strikes (for obvious reasons): It seems as if a higher percentage of motorcyclists hit deer (or as in my case, have a deer hit them) than auto drivers. This is counter intuitive considering the much larger frontal profile of a car or truck, and the greater risk of personal injury the 'cyclists undertake. You'd think cars would tag many more of the evil rodents.
SP an I are thinkin the same...

I think there's probably a percentage of auto/truck strikes that go unreported. Around here anyway. I've hit several with the truck that just glanced off. It would've been a different deal on the bike.

Well, as a sample of one, I have hit many deer with my cages and only one with my bike.

Mile for mile I'd say the ratio is 4 to 1 in favor of the cage. It may be that I am not as vigilant when driving a larger vehicle. My truck is tall enough that when I hit a deer the only damage is a new dent in the front license plate. Another factor is that I drive the cage a lot more miles after dark.

Hitting one with the bike hurts a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this was only a gut feeling thing. I have no evidence that it is actually true.

I wonder if they will include any info / investigation into deer collision stats in the upcoming 2nd round of the Hurt report.

Yeah, this was only a gut feeling thing. I have no evidence that it is actually true.
I wonder if they will include any info / investigation into deer collision stats in the upcoming 2nd round of the Hurt report.
Another fly in the ointment is the large # of drivers, around here anyway, that have no insurance, or liability only, that hit and don't report...

Damn deer are a problem...

I say let's put a bounty on 'em....

The time of year as well as the time of day is a big factor. During the rut and during hunting season, they are much more unpredictable and jumpy than the rest of the year. I will not ride at night around here, I bet more than 80% of all deer strikes happen in the dark.

The time of year as well as the time of day is a big factor. During the rut and during hunting season, they are much more unpredictable and jumpy than the rest of the year. I will not ride at night around here, I bet more than 80% of all deer strikes happen in the dark.
All good points, and well worth keeping in mind. But (unfortunately for me) none applied here. I guess I'm just one o' them, 20%'ers. ;)

'Cause this was dry, daylight, at 4:41PM. And it was a young doe. I don't think she was rutting. Also didn't see any others around chasing her trying to "get the goods".

Sorry to hear your news Fred but you are HERE telling us about it that's a good thing hope all turns out well and glad you have a #2 in the wings to ride!

SheeIT dude! glad you can still curse! :unsure: :unsure: :yahoo: way to go for takin a bambi down for the dirt nap :clapping:

Yeah well... I'm not even sure I finished bambi off.

When I first got off the bike and looked back, the deer was laying just off the right side of the road, flopping around on its left side with its right hind leg in a strange position. I figured the leg was broken for sure, and it probably had some internal injuries after colliding with a 40 mph bike, so would be just a matter of time before it expired.

I went back and picked up the yard sale of plastic strewn across the road. Stuffed what looked to be important into one of my empty side bags. Then went back to take an evidence picture of the deer with my cell phone and... wouldn't you know it? The peckerhead was nowhere to be seen. Must have just had the wind knocked out of it and still managed to get its sorry ass away deep enough into the woods so I couldn't see it and wasn't going to play Daniel Boone and start tracking it.

So I may not have actually taken out the bitch... :angry: I prefer to think it crawled into the woods and suffered greatly before a painful death. <_<

wow, Fred, forgive me as I didn't see this thread till now

so good for you that that's all you have to deal with after this scary incident

I don't get it...you ornery mug didn't scare that rat away...maybe Bambi went blind, I dont' know :yahoo:

I've seen a few deer riding...all during the day and in Texas...they would run parallel to my route and turn away toward the wood...I like to think they saw the look on my face and didn't want to mess with me

I keep a watch out around here for Gators, Armidillo, Opposium & Nutria, wild hogs. It's a little scary for me to know I don't have an innate perception reflex to look for deer.

I've delt with dawgs chasing me to protect their territory.

It's great that you are loyal to your bike...I'm the same way

Best to you my friend,

Mike

in Nawlins'

And then there's her opinion
Just replace the word bullet with FJR :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The pants, Marrissa? They were First Gear. While Bambi may not have given a f*** what kind of pants they were, it was pretty important to me in case I hadn't been able to keep it shiny side up. (I do like when she talks dirty, though ;) )

Her character's attitude is actually pretty typical of most city dwellers who don't actually have to deal with the infestation.

I love deer too. Makes a great burger...

I've seen a few deer riding...all during the day and in Texas...they would run parallel to my route and turn away toward the wood...I like to think they saw the look on my face and didn't want to mess with me
I keep a watch out around here for Gators, Armidillo, Opposium & Nutria, wild hogs. It's a little scary for me to know I don't have an innate perception reflex to look for deer.
OTOH, Mike, I do have a keen awareness of how stupid and dangerous deer are. As I said I've had an intimate encounter with one previously. I'm always on the lookout for the bastids along the roadside, and when I see one anywhere, I always slow to minimal speed because, given the opportunity to get away, if they can manage to get themselves in front of you they will chose that vs escape. If you do see a deer (or worse, a herd of them) especially running parrallel to the road, you want to slow to "headway" speed only (5-10 mph). They will invariably cross directly in front of you as close as possible and make every attempt to de-bike you.

The problem on this occasion was, it was late afternoon so my sunglasses were on. And the crafty ruminant was well hidden in a darkened wooded section of the road, laying in ambush. I did not see it until it leaped out into the open road about 1/2 a second before we exchanged greetings. <_<

I may have just got my fingers and toe on the brake levers, but maybe not. Stuff happens fast.

So I may not have actually taken out the bitch... :angry: I prefer to think it crawled into the woods and suffered greatly before a painful death. <_<
I shot a buck a couple years ago that had its front leg tucked up under it's belly and was hopping along on three legs.

Upon closer inspection it was obvious that the deer had recieved the injury (probably hit by car or something) at least a year or two earlier as the leg was completely locked in that position and the hoof had grown to a length of 3 or 4 inches.

Those suckers a tough, just saying.

June 2008 to June 2009

DeerChart.jpg

In closure, I came home from a business trip on Friday, landing at the Manchester, NH airport at 4PM, and when I turned my cell phone back on I had a text message from Joann (my wife) that the bike was all fixed up and ready to be picked up!! Dashed home and made it to Hudson Cycles before closing time so I could ride it on Saturday on the Covered Bridges tour. :dance:

They did a fine job on the repairs. I am very pleased with how everything went. Progressive settled my claim with zero issues and the fine folks at Hudson Cycles fixed my BBB beauty to better than how it was before the crash. They also installed my TPS recall (finally) which I had been procrastinating on since I wasn't experiencing any symptoms. For anyone in the Southern NH, Northern MA areas, I recommend Hudson Cycles highly if you should need to use a dealership for some work.

Total cost of the repairs was $1840, of which only $250 came out of my own pocket. Given the choice, I think I'd rather not do this again. But, all things considered, I was very lucky and got off very lightly. ;)