I had such a nice ride today ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah well... I'm not even sure I finished bambi off.
When I first got off the bike and looked back, the deer was laying just off the right side of the road, flopping around on its left side with its right hind leg in a strange position. I figured the leg was broken for sure, and it probably had some internal injuries after colliding with a 40 mph bike, so would be just a matter of time before it expired.

I went back and picked up the yard sale of plastic strewn across the road. Stuffed what looked to be important into one of my empty side bags. Then went back to take an evidence picture of the deer with my cell phone and... wouldn't you know it? The peckerhead was nowhere to be seen. Must have just had the wind knocked out of it and still managed to get its sorry ass away deep enough into the woods so I couldn't see it and wasn't going to play Daniel Boone and start tracking it.

So I may not have actually taken out the bitch... :angry: I prefer to think it crawled into the woods and suffered greatly before a painful death. <_<
Should of emptied a clip into the deer.....I know I would have!

Glad to hear you are okay Fred. I'm sure it's great to have the bike back. I was just thinking, I wonder why they don't put fences on roads with high deer populations. It might be cost, or landowner rights. It sure would be cost effective, at least in high deer population states. Not to mention the prevention of deaths and injuries to motorists and motorcyclists. I'm sure one of you guys know, it would be interesting to find out. Have a good covered bridges ride.

Thanks. THe CB 09 ride is in the books. It was a pretty good one: clicky

The fence thing would not work very well, at least here in New England on the back roads like my bambi bash was on, for a couple of reasons. #1 - Way too much roadway and $$ to fence off. but even bigger, #2 - Deer can jump too friggen high. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear Fred and glad you're OK. Sounds like what happened when I whacked one with my Ducati. I stayed up but the tupperware and fairing stays were trashed. Found replacement parts and the bike continued on, so hope yours can too.

Last edited by a moderator:
June 2008 to June 2009
DeerChart.jpg
...taking West Virginia off my riding list.

The time of year as well as the time of day is a big factor. During the rut and during hunting season, they are much more unpredictable and jumpy than the rest of the year. I will not ride at night around here, I bet more than 80% of all deer strikes happen in the dark.
I didn't plan well yesterday and spent the last 30 minutes of a ride on a 70mph road in the dark. Thank God I was in the left tire track of the lane as the right track was blocked by a large dead doe. You come on those obstacles way too fast in the dark.

I've been away from the board way more than I like and came back to read this.......major suckage Fred! As others mentioned glad your ok and bikes can be replaced.

On another note I'm taking up a new hobby, well an old one actually, I just haven't done it in quite a few years and that is shooting, as in targets with guns. And in honor of your mishap and our genuine dislike of forest rats here I will be looking for some forest rat style targets to obliterate in your honer Fred. Hope your back on the road soon. PM. <>< ;)

I've been away from the board way more than I like and came back to read this.......major suckage Fred! As others mentioned glad your ok and bikes can be replaced.
On another note I'm taking up a new hobby, well an old one actually, I just haven't done it in quite a few years and that is shooting, as in targets with guns. And in honor of your mishap and our genuine dislike of forest rats here I will be looking for some forest rat style targets to obliterate in your honer Fred. Hope your back on the road soon. PM. <>< ;)
The Bass Boat Blue Bambi Basher is already back on the road, PM!! And looking better than it did before the close encounter of a ruminant kind. :glare: New headlight and bunch'a plastic. And I just discovered this weekend that the shop also replaced one of brake disks up front too. Not sure why as it felt fine and wasn't on the original estimate. I need to check with the shop on that one.

Oh, and when looking for targets for your practice shooting, you may as well go with live forest rats. They're plentiful, free, and you can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. ;)

Thanks all, for the well wishes. Really appreciated to know all you'se guys care.
One of the more curiously inexplicable circumstances about this little doe strike was that;

when it was over, and there were no deer entrails decorating the remainder of my bike's front end,

and there was only (relatively) minor damage to the venerable bass boat blue beast,

and as I was riding it home with the headlight bucket aiming for Ursula Major,

I felt a certain eerie calm elation at having cheated the reaper just a while today.

Weird... I know. And maybe just a touch melodramatic.

But hey, that's how I roll. :rolleyes:

After my recent meeting with a rock, I too experienced such a feeling. Felt pretty damn good. Glad to hear of the positive outcome.

Paste007.

Hey Fred, Glad to hear you're OK. Beats going to the hospital!!!

I've decided to do my part this year and do a little deer hunting. First, I love the vennison and second there seems to be a lack of hunting these days here in Central Ohio so the populations are booming. Everyone is too busy spit polishing their mercedes.

Ohio lets you use a shotgun/slug and now even .357's with 5 inch or longer barrels which is great as my archery skills are "less than mad". However I'm tempted to assault rifle their asses until the barrel melts! (I'll stick the law and do it legally though-no sense in doing otherwise). If I'm not mistaken I can bag up to SIX deer (only one with antlers) this year in my county. Can you say overpopulation??!!?? Last year it was two max,

Hey Fred, Glad to hear you're OK. Beats going to the hospital!!!
I've decided to do my part this year and do a little deer hunting. First, I love the vennison and second there seems to be a lack of hunting these days here in Central Ohio so the populations are booming. Everyone is too busy spit polishing their mercedes.

Ohio lets you use a shotgun/slug and now even .357's with 5 inch or longer barrels which is great as my archery skills are "less than mad". However I'm tempted to assault rifle their asses until the barrel melts! (I'll stick the law and do it legally though-no sense in doing otherwise). If I'm not mistaken I can bag up to SIX deer (only one with antlers) this year in my county. Can you say overpopulation??!!?? Last year it was two max,
Good on you Mike...go get 'em! :clapping: