If you wish that Basecamp handled individual files like Mapsource did ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twigg, would you explain how to join a route in Basecamp while using a Mac? I can't seem to get it done.

^^^Have you been able to make a route in BaseCamp yet?
Yep. I've made several in fact. With the amount of clutter on the map, what with way pts & markers & bubbles upon bubbles popping up, and trying to make it the way I want it, what I've learned is that it's a royal PITA. The file system is to me mind boggling- I simply cannot get my head around it. I am constantly changing a route or waypt or something that I don't want to change. Or adding something. Or moving something. And without a way/shaping/via pt every 2 miles or so my gps will change the route. It took me more than 2 hrs to make a "simple" route to Danville, VA & get it on my gps without change. That's less than 70 miles from my house fer crissake! Then the real fun begins. My gps screen is changed, and not for the better. In the top center I used to have the instruction. You know, in the green bar across the top. Now I have nothing, just a blank green bar. Used to be I could touch the green bar and I'd get turn by turn instructions with distances. Now I get nothing, just a blank screen. In the bottom right I used to have some directional thing telling me how far to the next turn, via pt, etc. Now I got arrow. That's it, like somewhere up ahead be it 100 yds or 100 miles I'm going to bear right at a fork. WTF? And every 30 secs or so my entire map section is grayed out with a message saying "Approaching". That's it- "Approaching". Not what I'm approaching, just "Approaching". And this is constant- it never stops.

I had the smarts to write down the address of my destination so when I got to Danville I'd stop and get a city map. Damn good thing I haven't lost the skill to read a map! But I didn't need to- I manually entered the address on the gps when I got into town and it got me there.

How anyone thinks this POS mapping "system" is functional is beyond me!! It's made my gps into an unsightly useless ornament.

And whatever happened to the OP? I PM'd, and he's been logged in since I PM'd, but crickets, nothing from him. NOTHING! Anyone anywhere heard back from this guy?

And believe me, there's other things:

When I sent the route to the device the route originally went into limbo. My laptop says it sent it but my gps says it never received it. WTF? That took a while to sort out. On my unit at least, files have to be sent to the internal storage of the device. If I send them to the SD card the gps doesn't know they are there so I can't import them. So I can't use them. I guess gone are the days of swapping SD cards with fellow riders to share routes. And I guess gone are the days of having "these" routes on one SD card, and "those" routes on another SD card, etc.

And--- when I sent the ~70 mile route to the device, all of a sudden I have an additional 17 favorites. 17? Really? For a 70 mile route? Good thing I didn't plan something like 780 miles to Mobile, AL. Hell, the destination was listed 3 times, as in destination, destination1, and destination2. Seriously? WTF??

I think I got some of my problems figured out.

Before you send any routes, waypts, etc. to your gps for the first time with BaseCamp, update your maps. Even though my laptop said version CN NA 2015.40 maps and my nuvi said CN NA 2015.40 maps, the two didn't "communicate" with each other. I updated (re-downloaded and re-installed) 2015.40 maps on both my computer and on my device and voila! now my gps is back to normal. The green bar with instructions, the bottom right direction/distance, etc. And no more "approaching" gray screen. Sounds goofy, I know, but it seems to be the ticket for this part.

I'm thinking maybe this could have had something to do with the SD card difficulties but I haven't tried that yet.

Received the link to BaseMaps a day or two ago and forgot that I had asked for when the OP first posted. No problem, I have had my share of problems navigating around this site also. I'll be playing with BaseMaps this weekend unless the weather just turns out to be too good and I decide to run the North Cascades route and continue on down through Blewett Pass. I should probably take care of some maintenance items first and I need to mount the RamBone I just received and reroute the cabling for the Zumo 660. Adding accessories eats up lots of time somehow.

When I sent the route to the device the route originally went into limbo. My laptop says it sent it but my gps says it never received it. WTF? That took a while to sort out. On my unit at least, files have to be sent to the internal storage of the device. If I send them to the SD card the gps doesn't know they are there so I can't import them. So I can't use them. I guess gone are the days of swapping SD cards with fellow riders to share routes. And I guess gone are the days of having "these" routes on one SD card, and "those" routes on another SD card, etc.
Ok, some more testing done and I've found that these SD card related problems seem to have been caused by the same BC software version problems I fixed earlier. Transferring to & from the card is fine. I'm not limited to 10 routes on the card- I card transfer as many as I want to the card and import for use the delete afterwards.

So far it seems everything is back to normal. I'm going to try redtitan's basemaps now. Wish me luck!!

edit: Nevermind. I got to step 1 on page 2 of 6 and got totally lost in what's he's telling me to do. He says I have to find the location of a basecamp file but several searches of "my computer" reveal no such animal. I'll keep trying but on the surface it looks like this ain't gonna work. Yes, mine is Windoze.

YO software-writing people- ever heard of the KISS method for instructions? You may know what you're talking about but we're not all software technogeeks. Step-by-step, inch-by-inch please.

I'll keep trying but I'm not optimistic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Russ

I am on the road, in the Ozarks ... home next week. There is an email address in the help file ... give me a time and number and I'll call help you set it up. Should take about 5 minutes. If I was doing this for dough, I'd KISS it but ....

Ok, some more testing done and I've found that these SD card related problems seem to have been caused by the same BC software version problems I fixed earlier. Transferring to & from the card is fine. I'm not limited to 10 routes on the card- I card transfer as many as I want to the card and import for use the delete afterwards.
So far it seems everything is back to normal. I'm going to try redtitan's basemaps now. Wish me luck!!

edit: Nevermind. I got to step 1 on page 2 of 6 and got totally lost in what's he's telling me to do. He says I have to find the location of a basecamp file but several searches of "my computer" reveal no such animal. I'll keep trying but on the surface it looks like this ain't gonna work. Yes, mine is Windoze.

YO software-writing people- ever heard of the KISS method for instructions? You may know what you're talking about but we're not all software technogeeks. Step-by-step, inch-by-inch please.

I'll keep trying but I'm not optimistic...
Well, for FREE assistance...I wouldn't be dissing the helper too much.

Now, if you pay him an hourly rate, say $70/hour or more to help you get over your difficulties, then you can say what you want...

...You seem to be really needy and only have bad things to say about FREE stuff people put out there to try and assist people over the internet.

Maybe I'm wrong...but that's how I see it.

Kudos to anybody who tries to help me out.....EVEN if I just can't figure it out.

The program is solid ... get it installed and you might like it. You do have to be able to find a file (Basemaps.exe , without which we wouldn't be having this discussion so it HAS to be there) and a folder (clearly described as existing in your 'Documents' folder). Admittedly I could have programmed around all this and saved you the trouble of using the browser but .... I have only so much time to spend at the keyboard, am blessed to be very busy and my day rate is much more than $75.00 per hour. Read the 6 page document and if you are lost, email me at the address provided and we can set a time for some direct support ... may be a while ...

I am around but don't log in here that often. If you are interested send me an eMail - [email protected]

I use BC all the time but just prefer to maintain a library of separate routes. My 'BaseMaps' application is pretty simple to use but you do have to deal with setting up existing libraries and some anti-virus programs will require that you 'OKAY' it's use. One of you guys on this site is using it ... I accessed your PC one day to troubleshoot an install problem (now resolved) and you had a couple of dozen individual routes grouped in a rational manner and were using the program very successfully ... If you read this a review would be helpful