Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks much Brodie!

I bought the components and built one last Saturday and popped it in. The only real issue I had building it was the 12ga wire. I don't have the crimper for the terminals and the little solder iron I have has a hard time creating that much heat to solder effortlessly. I used a fine point nozzle on a small propane torch. I used needle nose pliers to crimp best I could, then heated it for a second on the torch, pulled it off to the side and applied a small amount of solder and bingo.

Just as a reminder, if any of you can't wait, I already posted the instructions to roll your own. :smokin:
I was planning on building one myself, but I can't find the TXL cross-linked wire in any quantity smaller than 25 feet. I really don't want to buy 25 feet to use 18 inches. Anyone know of a by-the-foot source for this wire? Would it be completely nuts to use 105C wire?

I was planning on building one myself, but I can't find the TXL cross-linked wire in any quantity smaller than 25 feet. I really don't want to buy 25 feet to use 18 inches. Anyone know of a by-the-foot source for this wire? Would it be completely nuts to use 105C wire?
I used automotive wire.

Just as a reminder, if any of you can't wait, I already posted the instructions to roll your own. :smokin:
Tenex,

105C wire should be fine, just don't go smaller on the wire gage. I like the TXL cross linked wire because the insulation will not melt when I solder. I think it is less prone to damage in the engine bay because it is tougher. When I wired my '56 F100 with a Centech kit, the wire provided was TXL. A 25 foot roll for me is not an issue, I'm building several of these units.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks much Brodie!
I bought the components and built one last Saturday and popped it in. The only real issue I had building it was the 12ga wire. I don't have the crimper for the terminals and the little solder iron I have has a hard time creating that much heat to solder effortlessly. I used a fine point nozzle on a small propane torch. I used needle nose pliers to crimp best I could, then heated it for a second on the torch, pulled it off to the side and applied a small amount of solder and bingo.

Spinblue

Those little terminals are tough aren't they. I bought a proper crimper just to do this job. So long as you have a good mechanical crimp it should work fine. The solder is there to aid in the electrical path and to negate the effect of any corrosion. If for some reason it gets hot enough to melt solder, the wire should still hold fast.

Enjoy your ride.

Brodie

Spinblue
Those little terminals are tough aren't they. I bought a proper crimper just to do this job. So long as you have a good mechanical crimp it should work fine. The solder is there to aid in the electrical path and to negate the effect of any corrosion. If for some reason it gets hot enough to melt solder, the wire should still hold fast.

Enjoy your ride.

Brodie
Brodie,

How did you handle the two red 12 gauge wires for #30 on the relay? Mine was not real clean as the terminal is made for one wire.

Brodie,

Nevermind, I figured it out. :)

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry about that. I had tinned the wires before placing them in the crimp connector the first time. I tried it again but cut the tinned wire off to bare wire again. So both wires fit in the crimp part much easier. Then after I had it crimped, I put a bit of solder on it.

Tinned for those that don't know, is a bit of solder on the exposed wire. Just an old habit.

Thanks Brodie,

I got parts to do 5 switched, I messed up the first one,got the male/female plugs reversed.

Hey people , I am building now. Shouldn't be too long before I start sending PM's out to the people on the list.

DSC00008.jpg

Doesn't look like much but I'm shooting for 30 this first build. So far so good.

DSC00009.jpg

Go here for the latest update on the list... clicky for post sixty :p

Ready to receive the PM. will be mounted on my 06 AE also. I have gone thru two ignition switch changes. don't want more stinkin KEYS!!

Good News...

Here they are...

DSC00013.jpg

But...

Patience is a virtue. I have family issues to take care of this weekend. Tuesday I should be ready to PM the first 30 interested parties. Sorry for the delay but Family First.

Go here for the latest update on the list... clicky for post sixty :p

If your position on the list is beyond #30, there will be a second batch hopefully before the end of the year.

I do have one request - anyone wishing to be be added to the list please make the request here on this thread. My in box is getting filled. :huh:

Brodie

I do have one request - anyone wishing to be be added to the list please make the request here on this thread. My in box is getting filled. :huh:
Brodie
Sorry for contributing to the PM fullness. Please add me to the list.

Have a good holiday season.

Cheers,

Fred

Just waiting on the PM and where to send the monies too.

Also, I'd like to also to use this relay to power my Blue-Seas, if that's doable. Not that you need to rework or rewire...

If you could include a diagram for dummies on where to connect the main power lead that would be sweet.

-MD

[Admins: Since Brodie is providing a service to the members, perhaps you could grant him a little more storage temporarily?]

Just waiting on the PM and where to send the monies too.
Also, I'd like to also to use this relay to power my Blue-Seas, if that's doable. Not that you need to rework or rewire...

If you could include a diagram for dummies on where to connect the main power lead that would be sweet.

-MD

[Admins: Since Brodie is providing a service to the members, perhaps you could grant him a little more storage temporarily?]
I had been wondering how to modify the harness to include 2 leads that could be connected to "hot wire" the ignition in the event of a failure... maybe long enough to go under the tank and end under the seat for easy connecting and security. Like what you have to do under the switch housing with the red/brown wires when they fail roadside.

Perhaps one of the resident rocket surgeons on this forum could post up some diagrams to answer both these questions.....please?

Thanks.

B)

I had been wondering how to modify the harness to include 2 leads that could be connected to "hot wire" the ignition in the event of a failure... maybe long enough to go under the tank and end under the seat for easy connecting and security. Like what you have to do under the switch housing with the red/brown wires when they fail roadside.
Perhaps one of the resident rocket surgeons on this forum could post up some diagrams to answer both these questions.....?
Ditto

Thanks,

Bill