Is FJR a good commuter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread title question is defectively worded.
wow.gif

Is the FJR a good commuter? No, because commuting sucks (at least half of the time).

Every morning you are on your way to work (ugh!), probably have to be there at a particular time (argh!), and you are commuting surrounded a bunch of friggen asswipes (Oowww!). Guys driving getting a last minute electric shave in the rearview, "women" doing their eye make up so they can impress the boss, everyone busy slurping down their morning java, and nobody concerned in the least to be looking out for you on your FJR.

In the afternoon you are headed home, can probably take "the long way" (at least some percent of the time) and it may actually be an enjoyable experience BECAUSE you are on your FJR and can get away from the above commuter losers.

So to answer the question directly, the FJR is as good as any bike can possibly be at commuting (ugh!), but it is far better at just goofing off.

As always, YMMV.

Fred, the long way here is just more highways and more traffic. We aren't blessed with the long way that you enjoy.

That said, even our short way beats yours in the winter.
biggrin.png

My commute took me into Boston today. It is 45 miles and took 2.5 hours (a typical day BTW). On my FJR my life expectancy would need to be measured with a stop watch.

IMG_0632_zps1k0kxark.jpg

My commute took me into Boston today. It is 45 miles and took 2.5 hours (a typical day BTW). On my FJR my life expectancy would need to be measured with a stop watch.
IMG_0632_zps1k0kxark.jpg
Used to live directly behind Sullivan Square, the next exit on I-93 SB. That fact explains why I never bought an FJR in Boston. What's the point? The riding season is only four three months long, and most of that is spent dodging potholes and Massholes ... and I'd have needed a dual sport to tackle the brick streets downtown, since the office was in Faneuil Hall.

To remain on-topic, IF ONE WERE INSANE ENOUGH TO ATTEMPT A COMMUTE IN BOSTON ON A MOTORBIKE, the FJR would be the bike to choose.

Poor I-beam.And he seems so intelligent..
Consider that this was way better than actually BEING at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commuting....hmmmmm.....Ohhhmmmmmmm*

Might we all agree that the enjoyment of a commute is based more upon itself, rather than the context of the occupant. Caress that curvy mistress with a high powered moped, I would. Dare the crowded streets of suburbia with a FJR1300, I would as well. Either is seat time, and I'd be tempted to flip a roll reversal of the above scenario and have a helluva time.

FJR1300>other bikes for commuting b/c

1) Storage

2) Amenities (phone charger, gps, comfort)

3) Comfort

4) Do-it-all handling and power.

Sometimes I like the drone of my Honda (the 4-wheeled kind), and want to sip my java with all the other soccer moms and listen to NPR under the assumption I'm smart and actually learning about worldly ways. Other times I like to step out of the box and be "that guy". Would I rather commute on a sportbike? Sure if my commute consisted of roads named after serpents. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.

When I commute, NPR is piped through my Sena, so I'm smart, learning about worldly ways, and zooming along in the HOV lane ... no coffee, and soccer moms don't commute.

75 miles a day I commute on the FJR, it does great. I have commuted on a ninja 250 and a Honda shadow (100 miles/day) and feel the FJR is the best all around commuter. You don't feel the weight of the bike, roomy, powerful, decent gas mileage, and can have tons of space for picking up groceries. Also since i commute year round the fairings on this bike really cut the cold wind well. As someone who has at multiple times only had a motorcycle for transportation, I wish I would have had the FJR long ago.

Also since i commute year round the fairings on this bike really cut the cold wind well. As someone who has at multiple times only had a motorcycle for transportation, I wish I would have had the FJR long ago.
Truth. I was looking at an FJR when I'd wrecked my FZ1, but a sweet showroom quality FZ1 bee came to my attention and I was swayed. I ended up with the bee. My long commute in my pickup in the winter at the time the gas was skyhigh made me get rid of it. Later, I ended up selling the bee and getting the FJR and had my world turned around to find out that you can indeed get weather protection from a motorcycle. Now I'm needing a truck and don't have one. Wish I'd have just gotten the FJR in the first place because then I'd still have the truck.
biggrin.png

As I'm new to the family, these comments are helpful. I try to use the bike for errands whenever I can, and my Gen I FZ1 has been my go-to, but plan on using the FJR as well. I've ridden one (and the C14) a bit so I'm not worried about it, but it's good to hear how happy people are..

when I have repaired my GoPro, I would try to shoot my way, but overall it is 10 km from inter file. In the near suburb of Paris. And it's still a pleasure. Its weight never really gen ...

And I go in Paris with no problem at least once per week.

Ah, but in most US cities, motorcycles are invisible. In Europe and other parts of the world, not so much!

Just joking of course, but here in the US you really have to watch out as motorcycles are not as common in traffic and people do stupid things, especially texting and driving and not paying attention. I ride in traffic virtually every day, and just about every day someone does something that could cause me harm if I wasn't prepared for it.

I took a friend for a first time ride on the weekend, we had two instances - one person pulled out in front of us at the last minute, and another person crossed the center line on a country road - they were looking down, I could clearly see.

Unfortunately, in europe, it's the same... My last accident was a person who's crossed the center line on a city road... fortunately I rode less than 50 km/h... Every day, I see people with their smartphone, woman putting on lipstick... reading book or news paper when the traffic is too slow...

In fact, go to work by bike is realy much more stressful. but so much more pleasant... and much faster.

In France we can ride between car line when the traffic is too slow. so we are going 20 or 30 km/h faster than the car, but it's realy dangerous if you're not 100% focused.

this morning, a car forgot it's turn signal, and change line without checking if they are nobody, shit, I was here... and it's the same every day...

For holidays ride or week end, it's differents, it's normal ride. I stay on car line, and I drive at the same speed.

Curiously, when I've been in France, and other Continental countries, I found drivers far more aware of motorcycles than in the UK. This was "passing through", not in commuting traffic, so maybe that makes a difference.

Have to say I was impressed with the Millau Bridge, as I "passed through" both under and over it. Traffic sufficiently light that awareness wasn't a problem.

I am fortunate to have W Strom 650 for city commute. Much more nimble and lighter to split the lanes. Also fuel consumption much lower. But when it comes to trips, FJR is the one.