Is this bike hard to ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tag

Reaction score
I just joined and am thinking about getting a Sport Tour style bike. As I am looking around it seems like you guys drop and wreck a lot. Now I tried searching and did find some stuff on your wrecks but nothing really touching on the bike being the problem. I have never dropped one and I am not a new rider. I also dont' subscribe to the school of those who have and those who will. I have put 1K miles on a friends Connie and it was great. Now I am looking in this direction. But are the Yamahas hard to handle in a pinch?

I just joined and am thinking about getting a Sport Tour style bike. As I am looking around it seems like you guys drop and wreck a lot. Now I tried searching and did find some stuff on your wrecks but nothing really touching on the bike being the problem. I have never dropped one and I am not a new rider. I also dont' subscribe to the school of those who have and those who will. I have put 1K miles on a friends Connie and it was great. Now I am looking in this direction. But are the Yamahas hard to handle in a pinch?
I don't think the bike is hard to handle.

You'll usually find that the wrecks and drops occur ... and I'm sure most (if not all) of the "guilty" forum members would agree ... due to some sort of rider error.

If you're a big guy like me 6'8" 260... you can flick this bike over in the corners with very little effort. I've heard some people complain that it's a bit heavy, in my opinion this is a great bike. In most of the wrecks found on here the rider, and not the bike, was at fault.

I'm 5'3" (petite) and I ride this bike just fine. It's very responsive and fun, fun, fun, especially on the twisties. :yahoo:

But are the Yamahas hard to handle in a pinch?
No.

While the FJR is a bit weighty, it is not hard to handle, IMO.

When ridden at a "sporting" pace, I've noticed that I use alot more body positioning changes, when compared to riding my FZ1, to help ease the bike into and through the twisties.

At speed, an experienced rider such as yourself would be hard-pressed to get bitten by it. Just be smooth with your inputs and she'll talk nice to you. I find this bike communicates with its rider very well....I can only imagine what a suspension upgrade is capable of.

My only gripe is the damned OEM shock. Wish it was fully adjustable instead of "Hard Soft" spring options and rebound damping only. "Hello, Penske?..."

FWIW; on a limb, I bought mine 1400 miles from where I live. Flew down and rode it back.....did about 2400 miles coming back and enjoyed every mile of it!

You'll usually find that the wrecks and drops occur ... and I'm sure most (if not all) of the "guilty" forum members would agree ... due to some sort of rider error.
Yeah, if that other rider hadn't stopped (actually it was more of he didn't go when I thought he did) in front of me while I was looking a different direction having assumed he was gone, I never woulda hit him and scraped my fender and dropped my bike. I'm glad his muffler bracket bent or the damage to my fender would have been worse!

Wasn't the bike's fault at all, although I probably could have held a 600-class bike up off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go along with ORGE ....I was reading the same thing....I'd say the only way the bike would be an issue is parking lot speeds....I went down the the dealer and sat on one...for about an hour.....( did a funny while I was on it) I asked the salesman if the bike was the right size for me,because I couldn't get both feet flat on the ground.He looked and said that might be be cause it's on the center stand.He didn't seem to catch on !

At least I got him to say take it off the c-stand,then I sat on in for an hour(most comfortable seat I've sat on,Corbin included).........

I believe if the truth were known, many of the riders in this forum that have (for various reasons) laid their bike down, have done so performing tasks beyond what would be considered "Normal", as easily seen on the many Youtube videos. And lets not forget about our infamous administrator that has the reputation of testing the effects asphalt has on body parts.

If you get the opportunity to test ride a FJR, I think you'll find it's handling characteristics to be better than the new Connie. But then never having rode the new Connie, I am only assuming it to be a fact.

As I am looking around it seems like you guys drop and wreck a lot.
It might seem that way, but take into account the nature of the forum, where open and honest disclosure is the norm, as well as the miles ridden and the number of wrecks will seem more in proportion.

There are some places where one would never DARE to admit to a crash unless it was 100% someone else's fault. That's not the case here. Members are willing to admit their mistakes and let others hopefully learn from them (and be teased unmercifully at times, especially on Fridays).

Browse through the million mile challenge thread and notice that most of the bikes here are not showpieces or garage ornaments. These bikes get ridden, hard and fast.

For an experienced rider, this bike is a joy to ride. It is no harder or easier than any other bike but it does demand a lot of respect from the rider. Forget this simple fact and you'll be sorry. :)

Jill

Ok...I'll play your little game, since I think I was the most recent to bitch about the bike being top-heavy.

Here's the problem: The times I have dropped this bike have been totally MY fault. It is the tallest bike I have ever owned, and it is not a light weight. So, if I have my head up my ass when I am parking it, it is not nearly as forgiving as the lighter sport bikes or the lower center of gravity cruisers I have owned. Basically, I think my bitch about it being top heavy is misplaced. What is going on is that the bike is more top heavy than anything I have ever ridden for any period of time, and after years of getting away with putting the bike on its sidestand while on a slant, it's hard to remember that this will fall over easier.

That being said, this bike is not hard to handle. In fact, quite the opposite. It has tons of smooth power, very good lean angles, and good balance on the road. It can be ridden hard and fast, which is what I think leads to some of the crashes members here have. Remember too that this group has a lot of people that put on a LOT of miles. A bike that never leaves the garage is never at risk of hitting a dear or entering a corner too fast. We ride and we are not perfect, but I would say very few of the incidents any of us have on this machine are due to the machine's engineering.

The FJR may not be for you, but I suggest you go ride one. I would be very surprised if you are not impressed.

I have sat on 2 different bikes. They seemed fine but I am not used to the Standard Seat position. I am coming off the 07 Bussa so I am used to the power and the Cafe position. I am 6'5 and not the skinniest guy you will find but with a twist of the wrist gravity is defied. Still looking. This Throttle response issue I ahve been reading about all night has me concerned too.I will let you guys know what I find after a ride. I think I ahve a line on one to test.

I'd agree with a couple of the previous posts that:

1. This forum is very open and honest-people 'fess up easily when the screw up. Mostly to help the other folks out and give them a heads up. Probably don't see that in a lot of other forums where folks are a little bit more ego conscious

2. Folk on this forum ride...alot...everywhere. I hear you on your feeling of not believing in the idea of "there are those who have crashed and those who will", but the law of averages does apply. I hang with some sport bike folk, and most of them rack up 4-5K miles a year. I would guestimate most of the folks posting on this forum double or triple that.

3. It's a heavier bike but often doesn't feel like it. I think some people might get a little lulled and forget they are not on a 400 lbs sport bike when they are in slow speed/parking lot situations.

I hope you get the change to ride on and compare to the Connie. The conni felt a bit too big for me , but a your stature I can see why it wasn't a problem. Ride on.

Doc

I'd agree with a couple of the previous posts that:
1. This forum is very open and honest-people 'fess up easily when the screw up. Mostly to help the other folks out and give them a heads up. Probably don't see that in a lot of other forums where folks are a little bit more ego conscious

2. Folk on this forum ride...alot...everywhere. I hear you on your feeling of not believing in the idea of "there are those who have crashed and those who will", but the law of averages does apply. I hang with some sport bike folk, and most of them rack up 4-5K miles a year. I would guestimate most of the folks posting on this forum double or triple that.

3. It's a heavier bike but often doesn't feel like it. I think some people might get a little lulled and forget they are not on a 400 lbs sport bike when they are in slow speed/parking lot situations.

I hope you get the change to ride on and compare to the Connie. The conni felt a bit too big for me , but a your stature I can see why it wasn't a problem. Ride on.

Doc

Doc's doin' a good job tryin' to help you here.

You state that you're not a new rider, being that you're coming from a 'Busa I'd call that a given.

The respect you gave the Suzuki is also due the FJR. Maybe more. The FJR is taller, heavier, more top heavy,

drive shaft particulars, etc.

These are not overwhelming, but do deserve your attention and respect.

Having said that, hey go ride the FJR! Please let us know how you make out with your ride. Best of luck!

JC

Short height and short inseam, hauling double, very slow turn-around navigating in tight spaces, full tank, slabbing, gravel... This pretty much represents 90% of a typical ride opportunity for me. I've had three slow speed fall downs in three years with 'real' damage only once that was repairable with pin stripes. Like some others, this bike demands my full attention and for me that includes planning ahead, especially when it comes to parking or turning around on a country road. :mellow:

As was said the bike is not at all hard to ride.

It is hard to push it around in the garage when not running and I do not think pushing it up a hill is even possible.

But even before the clutch is fully engaged it all melts away. I am often impressed the way a few miles per hour forward speed transforms this bike into a complete sweetheart. With light steering, quick turn in, and tons of power it is very easy to ride this bike fast. It could be that is one contributing factor to mishaps in that it is so easy to exceede our personal skills.

I went from an RZ350 to the FJR. I wanted something for speed and cruising. I saw this bike in the parking lot , asked how much, ok I'll pick it up tomorrow. If you're gonna annalize the crap out of something you'll never get anywhere. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do. We have tons of experienced riders here and if we all love this bike there must be something to it.

Rob

ps Most of the riders here ride above normal distances every year.

Yeah, what fjrob1300 said!

ps Most of the riders here ride above normal distances every year.
That's an understatement.....especially since I seem to recall reading somewhere that "the average motorcyclist" rides 2,000 miles per year. :glare:

If you liked the Connie (like I did), I think you'll love the FJR. Better handling, brakes, & more power. Less affected by cross winds, & perhaps a bit less weather protection.

I just joined and am thinking about getting a Sport Tour style bike. As I am looking around it seems like you guys drop and wreck a lot. .....

Yeah, alot of us are just clutzy. Some of us are stupid too...I dropped my bike cause I forgot to put the kickstand completely out.

The bike does seem to want to fall over. Evey time I take a curve it starts to lean over...luckily giving it more throttle seems to keep it from going over all the way.

You also must realize the bike weighs half a ton, so unless you are buff to the max, when the bike starts for the ground, there is little most can do to stop it.

You should try one of those Can Am Spyders...I hear they fall over very little.

KM

Status
Not open for further replies.