Just test rode a 99 blackbird

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Wowzas! Local BMW dealer is trying to off a 99 bird with 50,000 miles, bone stock, decent shape, for 3700. So I decided that since BMW lets you test drive, why not?

Those things are freeking fast! It really does pull like a freight train. Got it on the highway, let it rip through first and second, hit third.... Look at speedo......... oh shit, time to test breaks before they call the helicopter on me.

Linked brakes felt pretty smooth.

Absoultely amazing that a bike that is close to 10 years old is just a beast.

Wasn't a big fan of the ergos. I've read many people have put peg lowering kits and different bars to raise them up a bit. I guess that would help, but I just can't imagine anyone taller than 5'10 riding a blackbird. Seems like you'd be folded like a contortionist.

So I'm going to price out a new chain, sprocket, and stator cover (obviously had a 0 mph drop), and see if they will take that off the 3700. If so, there might be a blackbird in my garage soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you replacing one of the others or is this an addition?

BTW: You bastard!! :D

JW

Edited to add Smiley, Didn't want Keith to miss the love!

I had dinner the other evening with a friend that's very active in the biking community here in Portland and has the resources to enjoy just about any bike his heart desires (his 1098R is on its way...). Anyway, he was telling me about this mentally-handicapped guy that's the son of an exceptionally wealthy real estate developer here in town that has quite a collection of bikes; all in crates, never assembled, in a temp-controlled downtown warehouse. In addition to a never-uncrated 50th anniversary R6 (sweet), he is said to possess a Blackbird from each year they were imported (which I believe was '96 - '02..?). Again, all crated, never assembled. (As an aside, my friend tells me this guy's collection exceeds 100 bikes from many, many makes.)

No real point to my post, it's just that yours reminded me of that conversation..! ;)

Damn you! This is not what I wanted to hear. I have always wanted a Dos Equis for a 2nd bike. Hmmmm.........someday.

In addition to a never-uncrated 50th anniversary R6 (sweet), he is said to possess a Blackbird from each year they were imported (which I believe was '96 - '02..?). Again, all crated, never assembled. (As an aside, my friend tells me this guy's collection exceeds 100 bikes from many, many makes.)
Jwilly: Now that guy is the Bastard!!!!!

Probably to replace the FZ1, it needs some work, and I've got a buyer for it already.

Damn you! This is not what I wanted to hear. I have always wanted a Dos Equis for a 2nd bike. Hmmmm.........someday.
If you find yourself magically whisked away to the magical land of Kentucky, your welcome to take her for a spin. (If I buy it, which I probably will :) )

I had a '97 XX that I sold last fall and then ended up with an '03 FJR - not planned that way but life has many different paths.....

The XX compared to the FJR is:

Lighter

Faster from 0-100 (pulls like a fright train)

Less weather protection

poorer egos

Almost non adjustable suspension

3x the insurance rate.

Saying that the XX is a wonderful bike and it never failed to turn heads - everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) would go silent when the saw the speedo went to 205 mph.....

The Fuel Injected SR 71's are awesome.

Test rode an 06 XX before committing to the FJR......the decision was so close, that I may just get a Blackbird one day...

Also...at 6' 4" I found the ergos to my liking. Very 'sports orientated' when compared to the FJR, and most relaxing to ride, until you open the taps! Definitly a worthy addition to any garage....just ask WC.

I've put over 10K on my two birds, sold my last one a few weeks ago, my kid still has his, and yes we had VFR bars on them and also Buell foot pegs, it wasn't too bad, but once we rode our ST's that was all she wrote, my XX sat for almost a year with only a few short rides,

But they are very nice bikes, well refined and perfect FI on the later models that we had, they do make a great sport tourer, if you can handle the ergos,

And if you think an XX pulls hard, go ride a Hayabusa, I also put 22K on my Busa, and although the XX is fast, it ain't no Hayabusa, the Hayabusa pulls hard, man I miss that .

My Busa and Red XX, and my sons Blue Canadian XX, I also had another Red XX back in 01 that I killed in a crash.

IMGP7663-1.jpg

And if you think an XX pulls hard, go ride a Hayabusa, I also put 22K on my Busa, and although the XX is fast, it ain't no Hayabusa, the Hayabusa pulls hard, man I miss that .
What do you think about the difference between the Busa and XX in the handling department?

Do you have the stock suspension on both?

I have no experience on a busa in the twisties (just a straightaway and yes it was freeking fast!).

Ergos are definately different than the FJR. Being short also gives you an advantage on a bike the like XX. Folding up your knees is easier when you only have a 30" inseam!

Cal24ReconLG.jpg

OpposingSilverXXs.jpg

SilverXX_1.jpg

WaterfallXXs.jpg

BurnoutXX.jpg

2TouringSilverXX.jpg

YellowstoneXX.jpg

3SilverXX_sides.jpg

And from BBG Hell Week:

head-on.jpg

If a gun was placed against my head and demands made that I could only keep one bike, the Busa and FJR would be gone in a flash.

What do you think about the difference between the Busa and XX in the handling department?
Since I currently own both, I can answer that question, though I can only speak to the Gen II Busa's, not the earlier '99-'07 models.

If both bikes are completely stock, from a handling perspective, the Busa, admittedly, is generally sharper than the Blackbird until the twisties get fairly intense, only then I would give the edge to the Blackbird. Not that the Busa is bad in the deep twisties; you just spend a lot more calories to perform the same transitions.

That having been said, my Blackbird handles better than the stock K8 Busa in all situations, but only because it has the mega-$$$ Traxxion AK-20 forks up front, and a high-end Ohlins shock in the back. The sole problem with the stock Blackbird is the non-adjustable suspension, aggravated by the fact that the Showa forks are undersprung and over-damped right off the assembly line.

Now of course in the outright power department, there is no question who dominates. The Busa was and is the fastest production motorcycle in the world for a reason... that 1340cc motor. This engine is a beastly thang, and pulls like the freight train in any gear, at any speed. Sweet. B)

Do you have the stock suspension on both?

I have no experience on a busa in the twisties (just a straightaway and yes it was freeking fast!).

Ergos are definately different than the FJR. Being short also gives you an advantage on a bike the like XX. Folding up your knees is easier when you only have a 30" inseam!
First if your short, definitely go with a Busa, it is much more compact than an XX, I measured mine against each other, and it was about 4" less reach to the bars on the Busa than on the XX, but they are a bit lower, I had Heli bars on my Busa and Buell pegs, there's a bit less leg room on the Busa, probably 1" less, we put Buell pegs on both bikes, so it was still less than the XX, but I'm 6', and I always found the Busa to be more comfortable, I normally had a tank bag on it, with some gear in side, and I could lean on the tank bag, rest my elbows on my knees and go and go ... I did a 1202 mile Iron Butt ride on the Busa, it would have been harder for me to do it on the XX,

As far as handling goes, unlike many dual Busa and XX owners, I always felt the XX handled better, even with the stock suspension, maybe I just felt more confident on it, It just seemed I had to work the Busa allot harder in the tight stuff, my suspension was stock on both bikes,

The XX has better FI, and is butter smooth, it's a fantastic bike, but on long rides, I felt better on the Busa.

And power wise, there's no comparison. the Busa rocks

I had dinner the other evening with a friend that's very active in the biking community here in Portland and has the resources to enjoy just about any bike his heart desires (his 1098R is on its way...). Anyway, he was telling me about this mentally-handicapped guy that's the son of an exceptionally wealthy real estate developer here in town that has quite a collection of bikes; all in crates, never assembled, in a temp-controlled downtown warehouse. In addition to a never-uncrated 50th anniversary R6 (sweet), he is said to possess a Blackbird from each year they were imported (which I believe was '96 - '02..?). Again, all crated, never assembled. (As an aside, my friend tells me this guy's collection exceeds 100 bikes from many, many makes.)
No real point to my post, it's just that yours reminded me of that conversation..! ;)
Actually it was 97 to 03, I have an 02, and they are fun bikes.