Laam seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called Seth 2x and emailed once way back in March and got nothing. I was hoping to have him make me a seat before a couple week ride in May. I understand the demand for a good product but wtf... In any case, I rolled with the stock seat and all was good. Maybe I'll hit him up when the riding season is over but most likely I'll go with the Russell based solely on the fact that their customer service is probably much better.

I have read this entire thread and it seems Laam seats are with few exceptions are very comfortable and Seth is generally a good guy to deal with. I have gone to their web site and could not find a price list. I am only interested in the rider seat as I do not do 2 up. What is the cost to do a rider seat in leather and vinyl? I'm in no hurry so I will wait till winter and perhaps just ride up for an appointment arranged fitting.

Art, if you go to the web site and hover over "order your seat" a drop down will appear with a selection for "pricing". You will find prices there.

Shaun

I did I ride in for a Seth Laam. Very friendly and knowledgeable. He worked many years for one of the other nearby operations. I rode a spare stock seat up. Major improvement for sure and well worth money.

I also have a RDL and had a Rick Mayer.

Seth's service was far and above Mr BMW: RMC IMHO. I sent the Laam back for a tweak, hoping to get back for Poison, he sent it back to me Fedex Saturday at no charge. Pleasure to work with, but yeah, he's busy.

I just comm with Seth. He is in Oregon, will be back on Monday to start answering comms.

He asked to let you all know he will start catching up with you all on Monday.

This is my take: Seth is a skilled dude. He dont pass the seat-creative aspect of his business to others...is like chasing a good surgeon. I once had a seat shaped by one of the Meyer (there is a pop n son) and the seat was so bad, butchered I may say...my guess is that someone else in his shop did the gig cause I could not imagine such experienced shaper couldn't have possibly made a seat that bad...he gave me my money back but kept the seat shell--never again.

Seth sounded to me like a unique and excentric talented shaper that don't bulldoodo you ... so I am hanging with him for a seat

I just comm with Seth. He is in Oregon, will be back on Monday to start answering comms.

He asked to let you all knowgothe will start catching up with you all on Monday.

This is my take: Seth is a skilled dude. He dont pass the seat-creative aspect of his business to others...is like chasing a good surgeon. I once had a seat shaped by one of the Meyer (there is a pop n son) and the seat was so bad, butchered I may say...my guess is that someone else in his shop did the gig cause I could not imagine such experienced shaper couldn't have possibly made a seat that bad...he gave me my money back but kept the seat shell--never again.

Seth sounded to me like a unique and excentric talented shaper that don't bulldoodo you ... so I am hanging with him for a seat

Seth promises my saddle will be first next week. I'm hopeful to get it on July 3.

The dude knows what he's talking about. Looking forward to giving you the report.

Was going to go with Seth, but decided to go with Russell and I'm very glad I did. Being vertically challenged, I thought the Russell would add way too much to my seat height. I ended up going with their "sport saddle" option. It raised me less than 1/2" (which I was told will lessen with saddle time) which was acceptable. I was looking for more of an up-rite position and wanted to eliminate that being pushed forward feeling.

The Russell, for me anyway, was what I was looking for. I no longer have that two hr. riding time window before the pain and numbness sets in. I've been on 6 hr rides so far--without thinking about my butt--which is a very good thing. For me--combining risers and the day-long was the answer.

Another of my concerns is Russell's production schedule and build time. Looking back, to achieve this kind of riding comfort by giving up 3 weekends of not riding (shipping time + build time) was an acceptable trade-off.

just sharing . . .

I rode for about thirty miles on EscapeArtists Laam seat on his STenere. Nicely made and quite comfy. I've got a Russell but I would consider a Laam given the price difference.

I rode for about thirty miles on EscapeArtists Laam seat on his STenere. Nicely made and quite comfy. I've got a Russell but I would consider a Laam given the price difference.
...and in trade I got to ride the 1190R!
punk.gif
Guess who got the better deal here!
smile.png

--G

Mind you, I come from a space of having no faith whatsoever on aftermarket seats due to my negative experiences with Sargent, Russel, Corbin, Meyer and Ultimate...tried them all.

I chanced it with Seth cause of the numerous positive reviews here...and man! am I glad I did. I think this is the first time in my life I felt comfortable on a bike seat. My buns have never been hugged so thoroughly since that one blonde back when I was young...much younger...a baby.

I know there have been a couple of mishits with Seth being gone for a couple of weeks. Man! am I glad I waited it out. What a great seat!!!

Note: I sent him all the measurements one would want to know about a butt but might have been afraid to ask: the width of my hips, the distance between my cheeks (not on the face), weight, height etc...and wrote him a long explanation of what I thought would be a good seat for me, plus the traits of all the misfit seats I ever owned....Seth call me up, we talk, he told me what he could do and what was not realistic and he nailed it! Like the say: he is a straight up dude.

Thanks Seth!!!

Received my Laam seat this week.. Workmanship is good and it is very comfy on the center stand. Even wifey likes it mucho better.

Tomorrow I give it a proper test.

In defense of Seth ... I think I know where he's at. He has a skill that can't be passed on to someone else easily, so he is the bottleneck in the pipeline.

I can relate ... I am responsible for four software toolkits, and am the sole developer. We ended up hiring support staff to take care of the menial stuff, like answering the phone the at 4am, providing basic tech support etc. and raised the prices of our toolkits to cover that expense. In the end the customers are happy to talk to anyone 24x7 even if they suggest I may not be available until 6 or 7 am. Just having someone manning the phones and email is a huge customer satisfaction issue. Instead of working 16 hour days I can now take weekends (and even vacations).

If Seth is running this shop entirely solo, my hat is off to him. If he has enough business to keep him busy 16 hours a day for weeks in advance, at some point he aught to raise his prices and hire an assistance to do the busy-work.

I put 400 miles on my new Laam seat today (solo). Very impressive. Seth clearly knows what he is doing. No monkey butt - never needed (or even desired to) stand up for a stretch. On a couple of twisty roads, I slid back and forth on the seat easily. I'm very pleased with this mod. I should have done this years ago.

In all my years of cycling two farkles stand saliently with such overwhelming positive response:

The Traxxion forks mod for the Goldwing and Seth's seats.

...I start a post of best farkles...

Got my Laam seat a couple of weeks ago. He delivered when he said he would, was great to work with, and the seat looks and feels great. I went with the carbon fiber pattern vinyl, with silver stitching on the sides. Put a couple of hundred miles on it, and no complaints. I'll be taking a 2,000 mile trip in August, and will report back regarding long distance comfort.

I'm still waiting to hear from Seth. Ordered my seat in June but no idea where I am in his "cue". Tried calling him last two weeks, got voice mail and no return call.. Hope he got my order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to Seth again yesterday... per his instructions, I packed up my seat and will be dropping it off at USPS today...probably take a few days to get out to the left coast...hope to have it back in a week or two. Looking forward to the new seat.

I've had several seats made for my FJR and I've sold all of them but the LAAM. I did a ride-in and waited for him to do the front and rear. I rode home 850mi the next day. The Best seat as far as I'm concerned and I tell anyone looking for a custom seat to go with a LAAM.

PS when I was there I saw 3 seats waiting for work but they were sent to him with no information in the box... no return address.. no info as to what the owner want done, so make sure you send everything he needs to do the job and get them back to you is IN the box.

I'm still waiting to hear from Seth. Ordered my seat in June but no idea where I am in his "cue". Tried calling him last two weeks, got voice mail and no return call.. Hope he got my order.
Have you shipped Laam your seat with your name and address in the box?

He should call you once he receives your seat.