Laam seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting to hear from Seth. Ordered my seat in June but no idea where I am in his "cue". Tried calling him last two weeks, got voice mail and no return call.. Hope he got my order.
I have read things like this about Seth Laam but never experienced it. When I call, he answers. I have had no issues with contacting him.

In fact, I called him yesterday morning. After a lot of worry, research, looking at pictures, studying other seats... I will be shipping Dad's seat pans to Seth this afternoon. Soon Dad's FJR will have a Laam.

I tried to call him yesterday and got voice mail. So I went to his web site and sent him an email. Within an hour he called be back. He is waiting for someone to send an exchange seat pan back to start work on mine. He told me that I usually takes a long time to get them back. He hopes to start on it in a week. I am looking forward to the day I get the new seat.

I'm still waiting to hear from Seth. Ordered my seat in June but no idea where I am in his "cue". Tried calling him last two weeks, got voice mail and no return call.. Hope he got my order.
Have you shipped Laam your seat with your name and address in the box?

He should call you once he receives your seat.
I'm doing my seat on his exchange program so I have not sent him my seat. I'm just trying to make sure he got my order I sent him back in June.

I have read things like this about Seth Laam but never experienced it. When I call, he answers. I have had no issues with contacting him.

In fact, I called him yesterday morning. After a lot of worry, research, looking at pictures, studying other seats... I will be shipping Dad's seat pans to Seth this afternoon. Soon Dad's FJR will have a Laam.
Trying to cut in front of me?

Considering all the good press he gets on his seats and pricing, I can certainly imagine he's a busy guy this time of year. Try him in January, I bet he has more time. Maybe he needs to hire a 3 hour a day person to do email.

My experience was similar. Hard to get a hold of, great seat, delivered on time as promised.

No Sir! In fact I made sure he knew that we had a seat to use, there was no hurry to get us done.

And I called after you did.

I did a ride in to have Seth redo my factory seat. He is a really great guy and I found it very interesting to watch him work. I just got back from a 1300 mile ride on it and it was nothing short of fantastic. Every morning I got back on the bike, it just felt great. No more sliding into the gas tank, no hot spots. He used 4 different types of foam on my seat.

Note: Seth will give a 10% discount for liking him on Facebook. He also gave me an additional $20 off for paying with cash.

RFm4D1z.jpg

3SDfmAq.jpg

Re0BcdP.jpg

No Sir! In fact I made sure he knew that we had a seat to use, there was no hurry to get us done.

And I called after you did.
JK...I sent my pans in yesterday

I must be the horror story with my seat. I'm going to have to send it in for a third tweak. Not looking forward to the phone call this fall or winter when he receives it! lol. First seat had too much pressure under the legs for both me and my wife. Told him I was planning on adding a peg lowering kit for my wife to which he said no problem. Also told him I wanted to move forward on the seat.

Well, I got them back and based on the old staple pattern on the covers I think he oopsed and cut mine out for the peg lowering kit instead of my wife though he won't admit it (could see where mine had really been stretched further to account for the missing foam, and barely so on the pillion). Didn't move me forward any noticeable amount. In the conversation about this, I said again that I wanted to be moved forward so that if I put the seat in the low position the front edge of the pillion doesn't push me out of the pocket.

I got them back again and while I feel moved forward enough, the seat is now sloped where if I ride in blue jeans I slide forward in my pants and more or less squish the boys. Kind of like a wedgie in the front. With my riding pants things hold in place better, but I still slide forward on bumps or braking. Jury is out on the pillion as my work schedule hasn't allowed me to take the wife out.

I'm going to have to send it back yet again, but I'll wait until this winter when I don't want to ride and he's less busy so he's easier to work with.

Returning from NAFO I came to the decision that I had to replace the Corbin I've been riding for the last 120 - 130 thousand mile. Took three days for my butt to stop hurting. The foam on the Corbin had just died period, no more support at all, like riding on the seat pan.

Laam was getting good reviews here on this forum and others, his pricing looked good, so I shipped my stock seats off to him. Three weeks and a couple of phone calls later I had the new seats at my door.

Just finished 300 mile ride on my Laam seat. Took one short break about half way to fuel the bike and the rest was continuous riding no other stops.

I'm happy with the seat and the whole process, and my Butt is ecstatic.

The Seat

Really like that silver stitching.

001_zps6ae00dda.jpg

On the bike

012_zpse89b7117.jpg

airboss,

Did you think about having him redo the Corbin?

My Corbin is about 3/4 of a inch shorter that the stock seat and that does not sound like a lot but I can flat foot with it.

PS: The new seat looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought about a redo on the Corbin, but decided on the stock seat to regain the option of the high/low adjustment. I tippie toe in the high position, but on a long ride it sure takes pressure off the knees.

I have a Russell on the 04.

I need an aftermarket for the 13. The stock seemed stiffer than my 04 stock...so I thought it would perform better. But, alas on the ride from Chicago to Greenville there was burn by the end of the day. Do Laam seats have "wings" like the Russell? I believe those wings are what provides support for my arse.

Yes Laam has wings.

010_zpsedc64dc1.jpg
tan

Maybe not as pronounced as Russell, but they are there and give support. Did not interfere with getting the feet down like the Russell did. I always got the back of my leg hung up on the Russell wing,

Not a specific request, In answer to one of Seth questions I did tell him I liked a firm seat(ref:Corbin) and some wiggle room.

Those Laam seats I am seeing in this thread look very nice indeed.

I still think we need to "qualify" the reports from riders who have used them for Long Distance work. It seems that everyone is happy with their Laam, but the rides are topping out around 600 miles per day. I don't know if guys have done successive 600-mile days or not.

Russell seats are really purposed for those who wish to ride 1000-mile days, and do it day after day after day with zero butt issues. This is not the same criteria, and it's not fair to compare Laam with Russell until we have a substantive body of riders who have ridden like-for-like. If I were concerned with 5-600 mile days, I would not hesitate to send my money to Seth, but I need to be sure that if I do a 1500-mile day, I can still manage a 1000-miler the following day. As yet only Russell seems to offer that benefit. I know this is a smaller group of riders than the general population, but those riders need a specific benefit that Laam has not yet proven .... his seats still might
smile.png

The support a Russell seat offers comes not just from the "wings", but from the steel suspension system slung between them. It ensures even support from the outside of your thighs, right across your butt to the other side. Some think it unattractive and that's fine, for them there are options, and Laam seems to be a good one.

I don't understand why ANYONE still pays all that money for Corbin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do Laam seats have "wings" like the Russell? I believe those wings are what provides support for my arse.
Here's a pic of my seat Mark, small wings which allow me to move around and provide support too. Seat's very comfy and I've done many long days on it including my B2Bi this year. Didn't feel the need to "qualify" what I needed verses what the naysayers continue to push...

a806c859-895d-4e9e-a223-06d9546853e1_zps8c9149f1.jpg

--G