Laam seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that qualifying our remarks about seats is really rather important.

It seems to me that telling folk how wonderful your seat is (and I no one has denied that, btw), is useless information without also describing your build, and the kind of riding you do.

Saying "It's a great seat" simply begs the question ... "Great for what?"

I think this is a reality-based community, and in the real world it helps to know under what conditions an item is being described thus.

Well, I typically ride back to back 600 mile days... Occasionally more, usually less. Stock seat I can't do that. My Russell is no problem on my 04. My Russell was 590 with the rear seat done as well. I don't believe Russells come that cheap now.

So if a Laam can get me to 600 repeatedly with no leg/butt pain or discomfort. I will look into that for the 13.

Thanks for the responses Karl and George!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there is no way to measure the comfort of a seat and it is all so personal and opinion based, I cannot say with confidence, "This is The Best". Even if one person has The Perfect Seat, that seat may not work for the next guy. We all know this. There is also the painful truth that some of us are tough and some of us are sissies sensitive.

We know that the Russell Day Long has long been The Gold Standard. It has proven itself consistently. It is known for its comfort, its durability, and its craftsmanship. Not everyone likes it.

The Laam Custom Seat is a wonderful seat. It looks fantastic, and yes, looks can be very important. The craftsmanship is wonderful. The Customer Service is... Personally I cannot think of any other company with which to compare Seth Laam. The turnaround time is SHORT, the price is ridiculously low, the quality is great, and the comfort is... Well that depends on the individual.

I have never had the privilege of riding on a Russell Day Long. I have had the privilege of spending my money on two Laam Customs. I will never ride in the IBR and although I will probably do another SS1K or two I don't have a need for back to back 1000+ mile days.

My recommendation would be to stick with what you know works. If you have confidence in the Russell, stay with it. If you prefer the "look" of the Laam, then by all means go with that. There is not much point in arguing which one is better because there is simply no clear, precise way to measure "comfort".

I have a Top Sellerie in my attic that will (HOPEFULLY!) be used on a new 2015 Liquid Graphite FJR while Seth Laam builds me the seat that I can ride on happily for the next 10 years or so.

Well, I typically ride back to back 600 mile days... Occasionally more, usually less. Stock seat I can't do that. My Russell is no problem on my 04. My Russell was 590 with the rear seat done as well. I don't believe Russells come that cheap now.
So if a Laam can get me to 600 repeatedly with no leg/butt pain or discomfort. I will look into that for the 13.

Mark,

After my 681 mile ride home from NAFO...no sore butt. I feel that the seat, like any seat (maybe not an RDL) needs a little break in time. For the money/quality, I am happy with my Laam seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Be sure to tell Laam that you plan to ride 600 mile days. He may build the seat according to use.

Just did an SS1k Friday, picking up 4 Tennessee TOH sites on my Laam seat. Due to the remote, non slab locations of TOH sites, the total time was 19.5 hours. I have never ridden with an RDL seat, so can't compare. But there's a huge difference between stock and the Laam seats.

The stock seat will allow you to bottom out especially after several hours of use and you seem to feel the heat more. Not so the Laam seat, you always feel the support and springiness, even after many hours.

As far as multiple, back to back days running that many miles, I can't comment. I'm getting too damned old for that.
upset.gif

Well just wanted to give an update on my seat. Flew out to Redding to see some family and brought the seat along. Went in for an adjustment at Seth's and was able to do a test ride (thanks to a generous gentlemelan over at the FJR Owners forum) and I think I finally have the seat set up properly for me! Kudos to Seth for sticking with it for three (four?) adjustments since purchase to suite my picky butt. Meeting was pleasant and enjoyable except for the tweakers he had to run off down the street that were cussing each other out at the end of his driveway! That was kind of funny, but very sad that people get so messed up on drugs. Anyway, Seth has a nice shop setup and it was nice hanging out and talking bikes and such while he made a seat for the guy who was letting me use his bike for the test ride. I've had some rough spots with Seth through the process but all has worked out and his exemplary customer service prevailed in the end. Definitely a good guy and gets my recommendation. Can't wait to get home and get the bike out once the roads clear off.