Learning to turn properly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening laser Dude, After reading most of your posts i don't recall if you have had any serious motorcycle accidents. In my case I had a pretty good tank slapper in 1980 aboard a '79 Suzuki 850G on a two lane road near the north entrance to Yellowstone Park. I over cooked a sharp curve where earlier in the day there had been a land slide and there was light sand still on the road. Anyway, I saw the hazard but it was too late to slow down or do much other than try and ride it out and I didn't make it. I had a concussion with some stitches here and there and a cracked cheek bone. The bike was a loss as was my helmet.

That accident has effected my cornering abilities to this day. I have a tendency to tense up in a curve especially if the curve is similar in my mind to the curve I wiped out on some 36 years ago and when this happens I have to force myself to stay off the brake lever. I think that for me my best defense is to always error on the side of caution. I agree with your self analysis especially where you recognize your need to always proceed into a curve with just a bit of extra caution. That's just being smart and defensive no matter the size of bike you're on. I say stay with the FJR.