Less Engine Heat With The Power Commander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avigar

Reaction score
I just added the Power Commander with Wally's smoothness map last night. I test rode the FJR this morning and noticed the immediate lessening of heat from the engine. It's down considerably and feels comfortable. If I knew this was going to be the result, I would have added it at the very beginning. Wally's PC3 map is definitely smooth as stated. Engine vibrations have also been eliminated. This has been a much needed mod for me.

Just a question; Do you have aftermarket cans and/or airfilter or did you add the PCIII just to the stock bike?

Thanks

I added the PCIII W/Walley's smoothness map to my stock 04 and it made a big difference in heat and throttle response.

I just added the Power Commander with Wally's smoothness map last night. I test rode the FJR this morning and noticed the immediate lessening of heat from the engine. It's down considerably and feels comfortable. If I knew this was going to be the result, I would have added it at the very beginning. Wally's PC3 map is definitely smooth as stated. Engine vibrations have also been eliminated. This has been a much needed mod for me.
The stock setting is pretty lean. Just adjusting the gases with the jumper wire seemed to lessen the heat a little and it really smoothed out the low rpm's.

After market cans and a PCIII are on my wish list.

Just a question; Do you have aftermarket cans and/or airfilter or did you add the PCIII just to the stock bike?
Thanks
The cans and air filter are both stock. The difference is just amazing. This is the way the FJR is meant to run!

Less heat with the PCIII? Hey! I just heard that the Martians are invading and Tom Cruise and the CoS are gonna save us. Really! I saw it on Spike TV!

Thanks Avigar,

I also want to add a PCIII to my bike. It is on my wishlist and my b-day is coming up so let's see. :D

If you start running richer in the RPM ranges where the FJR puts out lots of heat, the engine WILL run cooler. It's not superstition, it's a fact. Many people complain that with all the bennies, the PC lowers fuel milage. Well,if it's richer it will do that.

I found my FJR didn't run as smoothly with the Wally map. I have no idea why. But since I have HoleShot cans, I use Dale Walker's map. I leaned it out just a tad in some of the lower RPM ranges without any problem, and no noticable increase in heat.

This discussion could take us into the octane argument, because higher octane causes an engine to run richer and therefore cooler...but since the PC allows you to adjust WHERE in the range to go richer and octane doesn't, I prefer the PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
This discussion could take us into the octane argument, because higher octane causes an engine to run richer and therefore cooler...but since the PC allows you to adjust WHERE in the range to go richer and octane doesn't, I prefer the PC.
OK, I'll bite. How does a change in octane rating change the air/fuel ratio?

Less heat with the PCIII? Hey! I just heard that the Martians are invading and Tom Cruise and the CoS are gonna save us. Really! I saw it on Spike TV!
OK, a wee little bit cooler (but once summer got here it didn't matter!) :lol:

Our Kalifornia bikes are running very lean and Wally's map seems to take care of some problems caused by that.

The lessening of engine heat was totally an unexpected bonus for me. I was going primarily for the smoothness factor as mentioned in Wally's writeup. He's also stated that his map may not work for everyone. I guess I'm just one lucky bastard! :beee:

Less heat with the PCIII?  Hey!  I just heard that the Martians are invading and Tom Cruise and the CoS are gonna save us.  Really!  I saw it on Spike TV!
OK, a wee little bit cooler (but once summer got here it didn't matter!) :lol:

Our Kalifornia bikes are running very lean and Wally's map seems to take care of some problems caused by that.
I used to dread riding when the outside temps hovered in the 90's. I also knew that the heat factor would be the biggest negative for me, but I bought the FJR anyway. Now, the PC3 has made it more tolerable for me.

OoooooooKaaaaaay... Less profiling more 'riding' should really help with that heat problem... :p ;)

OoooooooKaaaaaay...  Less profiling more 'riding' should really help with that heat problem... :p   ;)
Well, I don't have as many posts as some members because...I'm too busy riding! :bleh: :assasin:

Our Kalifornia bikes are running very lean and Wally's map seems to take care of some problems caused by that. Do our California bikes actually have a leaner map than the 49 state bikes? Any experts out there?

I disagree that higher octane fuel makes your bike run richer. If that was true, to ANY measurable degree, then anyone running premium would get worse gas mileage than those who run the cheap stuff. And don't get confused by fuels that have had their octane rating artificially enhanced by adding ethanol. Ethanol fuels will generally give worse mileage, but that's because the ethanol literally has less energy per gallon than the pure gasoline, not because the air/fuel mixture changed. Even ethanol blended fuels will only change average economy by 1-2 mpg, scarcley enough to measure.

A PC map that makes the bike run "cooler"? Kinda, but not really. The engine temperature on your liquid cooled FJR is controlled by a thermostat. The heat you feel from the bike is mostly a result of airflow from the radiator. About the only thing the richer map could do is make the thermostat open a little less often, which you would perceive as "less heat from the motor". But the ambient air temperature and the amount of throttle twisting you do will continue to be the primary factors in how much heat the bike makes. Not dissing the observation you made, just saying that other factors are far more significant.

But smooth is always good. What were the average gas mileage readings before and after the PC remap? Was there a measurable difference?

A PC map that makes the bike run "cooler"? Kinda, but not really. The engine temperature on your liquid cooled FJR is controlled by a thermostat. The heat you feel from the bike is mostly a result of airflow from the radiator. About the only thing the richer map could do is make the thermostat open a little less often, which you would perceive as "less heat from the motor". But the ambient air temperature and the amount of throttle twisting you do will continue to be the primary factors in how much heat the bike makes. Not dissing the observation you made, just saying that other factors are far more significant.

Whew! That was only an ad for a new movie, not a real invasion! Thanks Windjammer for clearing that up.

Well, I don't have as many posts as some members because...I'm too busy riding!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know. I only got in 450 miles this weekend, myself. Left me with lots-o-time to post up a storm! :)

I disagree that higher octane fuel makes your bike run richer. If that was true, to ANY measurable degree, then anyone running premium would get worse gas mileage than those who run the cheap stuff.
That's simply not true. You use higher octane to prevent pre-ignition--which can burn up your engine. The higher octane won't ignite until the correct point. If you use too low an octane (all other things being equal) your engine will run hot and burn your plugs or worse. If you run too high an octane, your engine will run too cool and foul your plugs.

By the same token running an engine too lean can cause it to burn stuff, and too rich can foul plugs just as well.

This is because gas, when it evaporates absorbs heat--like alcohol drying on your skin (or alcohol as feul). A richer air-fuel mixture likewise absorbs more heat than a leaner one.

OK. I'm done with the Octane argument. None of THIS for me! :assasin: