Let's do a Group Ride of Costa Rica in 2012 with MotoDiscovery.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case you guys wanted to know what Costa Rica looks like, here's what it looks like! Our roads are carved through the jungle. Actually, it took 2 minutes for me to see the jungle in this picture.

costa_rica_beaches_l.jpg
She's very pretty.

Will she be joining us?

Just in case you guys wanted to know what Costa Rica looks like, here's what it looks like! Our roads are carved through the jungle. Actually, it took 2 minutes for me to see the jungle in this picture.

costa_rica_beaches_l.jpg
She's very pretty.

Will she be joining us?
Only if Don doesn't chase her away.

I might let her ride with me but only if she knows how to change a motorcycle tire.

I'm not interested in any freeloaders.

costa_rica_beaches_l.jpg
She's very pretty.

Will she be joining us?

I might let her ride with me but only if she knows how to change a motorcycle tire.

She doesn't look like a tire changer.

I'll give her a ride if she'll keep my glass half full..

Is that rude?

Last edited by a moderator:
From Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery on April 25:

Hi Don,

This will be a great gathering. Here are the details:

1) yes there is a sag wagon and it will comfortably accommodate passengers & luggage.

2) we should be able to get the 1200GS but couples will get first access to them..we may even have the 800GS available by then and I can tell you they are fine for two up in most cases.

3) a ten day tour is a better consideration if one has the time. In this case it would permit a ride over the cloud forest known as the Cerro del Muerte and drop to the coast. It will also include Manuel Antonio.

if you want to extend the tour to 10 days?

10 Day Tour Itinerary

KTM 4,339

BMW 650 4,425

BMW 800 4,539

BMW 1200 5,148

Day 1. Arrive San Jose

Day 2. Domionical on the Pacific Coast

Day 3. Manuel Antonio

Day 4. Poas Lodge

Day 5. Arenal area

Day 6. Arenal area

Day 7. Tamarindo or Nicoya Peninsula beach area

Day 8. Tamarindo or Nicoya Peninsula beach area

Day 9. Return to San Jose

Day 10. Fly out at will

What if the majority of the group does not have time? Have an optional post tour extension of a few days!

What we often do is provide the simple services for one to do a self guided post tour get away. If the guys want to get away for a romantic couple days after the tour, we'll set up the lodging, get a rental vehicle (can be shared with others if so desired)...a tour extension that permits those with time to stay in Costa Rica and the others to return home. I'll work up a price if that is desirable. In the end this will be the most economical option....

Special Pricing.

Lets make it easy Don. We'll knock off $200 per person if we get 8 or less. If we get more than 8 (people) we'll knock off $250 per person. This will be off the listed price on the web page. For a couple that will almost buy one plane ticket!

The Date

Most will probably want a winter date. That is peak season and we'll need to move fast to secure it. We have a Feb 11 - 18 period available but I don't know for how long. Lets throw that one out there now and see how that looks...a great way to spend Valentines Day..don't you agree?

What's Next?

Lets get the date locked in ASAP. Once that is done everyone should go to this link to make their reservation and not delay. It is all about bike & lodging availabilities. Were it not peak season I would not feel the pressure but an early sign up allows us to get the preferred accommodations lined up...

When the group signs in to this custom tour link, just give the date ( once decided ) and we'll come up with a name!

Don if at all possible I'll be getting away to lead this one myself. I love this part of the world and it would be a blast to ride with you and the group. Thanks again for helping us get this one going. Drop me a note or call if you have any questions and urge the others to do the same.

mil gracias y un abrazo fuerte,

Skip Mascorro

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Don Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:

Hola Skip,

The Costa Rica Ride for 2012 by AZ Beemers, FJR Forum and FJR Riders is gaining great interest. Right now, it is reasonably safe to say that my Gal Donna is in for this CR Ride. I know that my Canuckistani Buddy yamafitter - Billl Fitkowski and your Papa Chuy Viejo are "In Like Flynn"!

Las Preguntas: 1) Will there be a "sag wagon" on this trip? In case we hit a down pour storm or some really rough roads, so My Gal Donna can ride in an enclosed vehicle.

2) Will you be able to furnish five BMW R1200GS's for this trip? It sounds like this trip is primarily attracting couples going. We already have the need of four R1200GS's.

3) Do you mind pricing this trip out for a 10 or 11 day excursion? I'd think that if we could hit a "middle ground" price wise between your 8 and 13 days it would be "sellable"!

4) Is there any month between January and May in 2012 that allows you to be more "economically" priced? I understand, like Europe, Costa Rica has low and high seasons.

Muchas Gracia, Mi Amigo!

Senor Papa Chuy "Viejo" Medina, aka "El Burrito Ballerina"

Don,

Vicki and I traveled Costa Rica in September 2009. I have some great photos I will share with the group. It was a great trip with a lot of gravel type roads.

We went in September around the 22nd for 8 days, and had no weather issues. Getting in and out was a snap and the people there were really easy to talk to. We did an ATV adventure that was a hoot, in the middle of a driving rainstorm in the rain forrest. There is a lot of Costa Rica that is Americanized and staying in those areas would be a bummer. Any idea of where the trip would take us there? What bikes are used? I would be interested in hearing more about the trip.

Thanks for working on this Don.

Bruce

Dear Bruce and Vicki, That's great news you two are considering this Costa Rica trip with us! Three other couples are already committed to going along!

As you can see from the link and my response below: This is a custom made trip for us, we call the shots. Donna and I are going to rent a BMW R1200GS.

13 days in Costa Rica sounds awesome! Tiffany and I are in, if a group is compiled - It didn't take much to convince her!

So, the link you posted indicates available dates each month from Jan - May. Is MotoDiscovery looking to fill in dates between those already scheduled rides? Since this is a year in advance, we can be pretty flexible.

https://www.motodiscovery.com/Motorcycle-Tours/Central-America-Motorcycle-Tours/37/Costa-Rica-8-Day-Guided-Light-Adventure-Tour Dear Chris and Tiffany, That's fantastic news that you two are going with us on this Costa Rica Adventure! Donna and I are going to rent a BMW R1200GS. This is a custom made trip, just for our Forum members; we call out what we want and Skip Mascorro of Moto Discovery will deliver. I have Skip currently looking at either February or March, perhaps even April for the Forum Costa Rica Ride. I also have MD pricing out a trip modified between their 8 and 13 day tours, perhaps 10 or 11 days. So, if you 2 have any thoughts on what you would like to see and do in Costa Rica; please contact Skip directly at 1-800-233-0564 Adios, Papa Chuy

Don Stanley

1061 N. Amber St.

Chandler, AZ 85225

Cell: 480-440-4666

--

MotoDiscovery

22200 Highway 46 West

Spring Branch, Texas 78070 -6774 USA

Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564

PH (830) 438-7744 FAX (830) 438-7745

www.motodiscovery.com

[email protected]

Hey Dudes, I'll never wear white tennis shoes again! I told my wife that story and now shes calling me "Q-Tip".......sheeeze!

This...I think could be a pretty interesting trip. You know I'm gonna be quite partial to the heavy dirt part, but it would depend greatly on what kind of bikes Skip has to furnish or if we would ship our own bikes down there. I dont even know if thats fesable or what the cost would be.

February would seem like a really great time to go.

You want git no free t-shirt iffin ya dont show up ya Goober King!

I'm not sure but..........do they allow Cannuks that far south. Mexico was pushin it!

Hey Dudes, I'll never wear white tennis shoes again! I told my wife that story and now shes calling me "Q-Tip".......sheeeze!

This...I think could be a pretty interesting trip. You know I'm gonna be quite partial to the heavy dirt part, but it would depend greatly on what kind of bikes Skip has to furnish or if we would ship our own bikes down there. I dont even know if thats fesable or what the cost would be.

I'm not sure but..........do they allow Cannuks that far south. Mexico was pushin it!
Sounds great Scott, would be fantastic if you can make this Costa Rica ride. yamafitter is going to have to get a special Canuckistani visa for that far South.

I spoke to Skip on the phone for about 15 minutes yesterday. We might give consideration to the basic 8-day trip in February and then add in dirty+ options.

Us Canucks have to be careful about how close we get to the equator in case we start melting. That plus the fact that in February we don't have much of a tan to protect us from the sun's harmful rays.

That time of year that far south and I'll probably need a coat of black paint for sunblock.

Us Canucks have to be careful about how close we get to the equator in case we start melting. That plus the fact that in February we don't have much of a tan to protect us from the sun's harmful rays.

That time of year that far south and I'll probably need a coat of black paint for sunblock.
Actually Billllll, February in Costa Rica, in almost all of the zones, is dry and cool. Check out these descriptions on the regions we'll be passing through, 72F average.

https://www.govisitcostarica.com/travelInfo/climate.asp

Actually Billllll, February in Costa Rica, in almost all of the zones, is dry and cool. Check out these descriptions on the regions we'll be passing through, 72F average.

https://www.govisitcostarica.com/travelInfo/climate.asp
It's not so much the weather in Costa Rica that time of year. It's getting back off the plane in Toronto into -20o C in a snow blizzard afterwards.

513702651_nPAe5-L.jpg
Brother yamafitter, I know you Canucks love your Homeland. But Papa Chuy Viejo can't even begin to comprehend living where that shit falls from the sky!

It's not so much the weather in Costa Rica that time of year. It's getting back off the plane in Toronto into -20o C in a snow blizzard afterwards.

513702651_nPAe5-L.jpg
Brother yamafitter, I know you Canucks love your Homeland. But Papa Chuy Viejo can't even begin to comprehend living where that shit falls from the sky!
From a distance it's kind of pretty.... up close & personal... not so much.

I just strap some boards to my feet and go and slide around on it. Then I take the boards off strap on some blades and play some hockey.

That does not kill you makes you stronger!!

costa_rica_beaches_l.jpg
She's very pretty.

Will she be joining us?

She doesn't look like a tire changer.

I'll give her a ride if she'll keep my glass half full..

Is that rude?

Is that rude?

What?.............this coming from a guy who left his butt print on the outside window of a resturant...where people were still eating........when you left it!

Dude. You need to go back to work. You have waaaay too much time on your hands. You can only masturbate so many times a day, eh?
Yeah Skooty, after about 6 times this Old Goat's all pooped out; then I go for a ride on my motorcycle. Isn't Retirement Wonderful, ese!
I could constantly 'amuse' myself thinking about riding in Costa Rica.

I guess if I had to I could hold my nose and ride a Pumpkin but a Beemer is going too far. Being of Polish heritage I get nervous whenever there is anything German around though KTM is Austrian and sometimes that can be worse.

Hey now all I own is those orange Pumpkins and I kind of like the smell. :p

Dude. You need to go back to work. You have waaaay too much time on your hands. You can only masturbate so many times a day, eh?
Yeah Skooty, after about 6 times this Old Goat's all pooped out; then I go for a ride on my motorcycle. Isn't Retirement Wonderful, ese!
I could constantly 'amuse' myself thinking about riding in Costa Rica.

I guess if I had to I could hold my nose and ride a Pumpkin but a Beemer is going too far. Being of Polish heritage I get nervous whenever there is anything German around though KTM is Austrian and sometimes that can be worse.

Hey now all I own is those orange Pumpkins and I kind of like the smell. :p
https://www.motodiscovery.com/Motorcycle-Rentals/12/KTM-640-LC4-Rental Well Chris and Bill, the KTM 640 LC4's will be the Pumpkin's you two will be riding!