Lighting issue at start up.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet mechanic

Reaction score
The last 3 days when starting my bike in the morning I have been having a lighting issue.

Turn the key on;

the two turn signal lights illuminate (not full bright when you turn the turn signal on, but at a dimmer level),

the high bean light comes on, even though the switch is in low, and cycling it doesn't help,

and the windshield doesn't work.

My manual is up in RI with my truck and my wife, so i don't have access to the electrical diagrams.

After driving for a couple of miles everything returns back to normal and all subsequence starts are normal.

I did have the wiring harness replaced with the spider recall.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how it begins. Do you know if your '07 has had the factory recall work done for the grounding harness? If you don't know, call any Yamaha service desk, give them your VIN and they can tell you if there is any open recall work. Your FJR's symptoms are pretty much classic for grounding terminals that are corroding. In Forum speak, you have a grounding spider problem a.k.a spider bite. The shorting clip that bridges a grounding connector roughly resembles a spider.

That's the S7 or S6 spider? One of the ones the recall doesn't actually address up in the nose. (DAMHIK)

All in all it's not that bad/hard to fix or at least mine wasn't. I RnR'd it when I installed the Brodie harness cause I wasn't going to give my bike to a dealer for some undetermined amount of time. Dealership ability in your area may be different.

-MD

Jet, if you had responded that the harness recall was done (like you did) I was going to suggest what mdisher was good enough to post.

If Murphy has any say in this it will turn out that the problem is in the least accessible place :lol:

mdisher, do you know if its the one buried under the fairing or the one behind the fwd L/H side cowl?
Your symptoms are the same as mine, high beam indicator on (but I had no lights), and bizarre turn signal behavior.

The Spider that was dicked up on mine was (as you are sitting on the bike) on the left side in the nose, kind of under the left headlight.

I'm 99% sure the nose had to come off to get to it. I used the info from the 2006 dash replacement TSB as a guide to taking the nose off.

I have photos somewhere but it doesn't appear I blogged about it or ever posted them. I can look when I get home.

-MD

The more I think about it, there were 2 (or 3) spiders up in the front that were not replaced with the wiring harness. If one of them is acting up it will probaly be worth the time to check them all if I have to go digging around in there anyways.

Mdisher, i actually saved that post as a "favorite" on one of mine home computers, will have to look it up and see if the pictures are still active.

I've got some pics ...

(click on image for larger view)

I suspect the one being referred to is the one to the right in this picture (on the left of the bike).

Another view of it:

My '06 front fairing procedure shown here. Not the best I've seen, but it should help.

Jet Mechanic,

Your failure sounds exactly like what I experienced on my 07. I reported my failure https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124616&st=0 on my 2007 FJR1300A. Despite having YES, I decided to fix the problem myself to avoid having my bike sit at the dealer for days or weeks (and I do this kind of stuff for a living on aircraft electronics ). What I found was that my S7 spider (located above left headlight) had a meltdown that caused the headlights to lose their ground and backfeed through turn signal circuit:

https://home.earthlink.net/~haraldstenger/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/uglyspider.jpg

I wouldn't try to fix it without removing the nose assembly from the bike. Regretably, I don't have a good reference for this job but basically pull windshield and all plastic that attaches to the nose plastic, disconnect all connectors that go from the nose wiring harness to the main harness and then unbolt the nose assy where it attaches to the frame around the steering head. The whole assy comes off for easy placement on the bench where you can cut off the offending spider and solder the wires together. Mine is still running fine years later.

I setup a tracking thread for these type of spider failures here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=139511

Be sure to report your failure to the NTSB. And hollar if you need any more info about the repair.

Agree with McAtrophy as to the most likely culprit. That's the one that went out on me. Didn't look that bad from the front but the backside of the spider case was somewhat darkened. The spider itself seemed to be just mildly tarnished but it was definitely the problem. Soldered all of the wires together.

Link for removing the plastics:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116788

Thanks everybody!

I can't do it this weekend, but will deffinitly pull the fairing next week.

If there's anything worth taking a picture of I'll post it up when I find it.

Latest posts