Manual Toggle Fan Switch -'03

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03HiYoSilver

Reaction score
I was considering installing a Manual Radiator Fan Toggle Switch on my '03 and would like to know how to do this.

I have searched but have found NO specifics on what/where the Relay to work with... it has been said it is in the Cowling somewhere.

If someone knows how to do this, I would appreciate some more details.

Thanks!

Tee at the Green/Yellow wire at the ECU connector. One pole of the switch goes to the G/Y wire, the other switch pole goes to ground.

Tee at the Green/Yellow wire at the ECU connector. One pole of the switch goes to the G/Y wire, the other switch pole goes to ground.
Ion,

Thanks for Sharing this with me! ...you're the Best!

Rider,

I would like the Fan on during the Hot Season at 3 Bars and not at 4 Bars when I feel it would help keep the engine cooler.

Just remember that the fan draws a huge amount of current, and if it runs often and long it will beat up the stator, R/R and battery. If you allow the fan to run long after the engine is off, or run when cranking, the battery will go flat PDQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
dbx,

Thanks for the link. I saw it but it was not accurately described where the specific relay to work with.

Another reason I was considering this was to Run the Fan while at Speed to keep the temp's down so I can have the Fan Running while it is charging and turn the Toggle off (drop the electrical load) while Stopped or in Lower RPM's as to lessen the Fan Being On less without a electrical non-charging mode.

You're sort of over thinking this. When at speed you have air flow & don't need the fan. The fan exists for when you don't have air flow to the radiator, like when moving slow or in traffic. The fan being on at speed is going to have negligible effect on cooling.

Sure, it's true that air moves past a moving fan better than a stationary fan, but there is a huge amount of radiator surface area on the FJR that's not blocked by the fan, (for that very reason), unlike auto rads where shrouding exists.

See, I would think you'd want a fan switch to work the other way.

You'd want to be able to turn it off for deep water crossings when you're riding with those crazy Sutherners and such..

Running the fan at speed will not keep any temps down. Once the water reaches a certain minimum temperature the thermostat closes and water circulation stops. It doesn't matter how much air is going through the radiator, it just ain't getting any cooler.

That's becasue there is a minimum desired operating temp, just as there is a maximum.

The coolant temperature is maintained by the thermostat, which cycles as the coolant heats and cools. Too cool, stop flow through the radiator, allow it to heat up. When hot, start flow, allow it to cool down. repeat as necessary.

The fan kicks in if it keeps getting hotter, and the assumption is that the bike isn't moving, so no air through the radiator, so air has to be forced through the radiator. The fan's ONLY purpose is to move air through the radiator when the bike isn't gathering air by its own motion. If the fan kicks on while at speed, you have other issues.

Still, I know where the relay is. I just ain't tellin' 'less you have a better reason. :p

(But if you look in my GenI Fairing and Cowl removal thread you'll see it.)

There's no point in your switch, though. Running the fan might keep it at two bars instead of three if you're in traffic that's moving, but not moving well. But you'll be getting more heat on yourself, not less, as that forced air exiting the radiator comes up onto your legs and torso. If the bike's going faster than that, then it's probably going fast enough to cycle the thermostat, in which case the fan adds nothing. If the bike's going slower, the fan on automatic is sufficient for engine cooling, and your exposure to the fan blast will be less. I defy you to say that the air coming out of a radiator carrying 200-degree water is more comfortable than air exiting a radiator carrying 220-degree water. :D

OK,

Thanks for the suggestions...good points. I am not going to do it.

However, I did install one on my FZ1 since the temps jump dramatically for some reason and only have to use it occasionally.

Latest posts