Mother of All Mexico Dirt Bike Rides - March in 2015!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this Adventure have a happy ending....or any ending? It's been hard to follow since many of the posts are second hand and lacking dates but it appears that Dammit Don got roasted on Monday afternoon and the trip ended on Wednesday. Did anything happen in between? Sun.....rain....heated rooms.....good food and drinks......epic rides?

If you follow my posts they are in somewhat of a chronological order. Due to some poor or non-existent internet service we are not completely up to the current date. We left McAllen, TX on Tuesday,March 10th and went to Santiago. On Wednesday we travelled from Santiago to Galeana. Thursday was a nice day that had us taking in a picnic at the waterfall and finally getting in some off-pavement riding and then back on some road to get over to Real de Catorce.

Friday we did not ride the bikes and just walked around the town taking in the sites and the culture. Saturday is when I blew up my Yamaha on the way out of Real de Catorce. We tried one section of off pavement riding later in the day but turned back to the pavement due to rain and fog. That night we were in the cabins at Spa Hacienda La Florida outside of the town if Jaumabe.

Sunday there were two groups. One group took a southern paved route through the town of OTampa and then onto Gomez Farias and the Cumbres Inn. The other group attempted an off pavement route but ran into too much mud and backtracked to the pavement and took a northern route to the same location. The next day only Chris and I were on the bikes as the rest of the group took a pickup taxi up into the biosphere reserve in the area where one of guides (Juan) prepared lunch for us. Tuesday, March 17 was a short pavement ride (the off pavement option got rained out again) to the Hotel Sta. Engracia, a hacienda that dates back to 1715 for our final night in Mexico.

My previous report covers Mar 16th which was Chris & I going up the rocky "road" into the biosphere. Right as of this moment I am actually on the east side of Houston and getting ready to bed down for the night and yes it did rain some today.

If you read the actual ride report on ADV Rider or Brian's thread on AZBeemer.org it makes more sense since Don has not been cutting and pasting and screwing up the order of things on those threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^^^^^^^^Thanks for the summary, it does sound like it turned out to be The Mother Of All Mexico Dirt Bike Rides, too bad those dirt tires are so slippery on wet pavement or you could have had a couple of decent street rides. Next time you will know the route and can do your own trip (without a guide) if anyone wants to do it again.

Nice trip summary 'fitter! Too bad y'all got rained out for the most part...looks like it could have been an epic trip!

Welcome back!

--G

I blame all the bad juju on the Dammit Don doll. That thing is nothing but bad news. You should have seen what that pervert did the last night in full view of everyone.....

IMG_2421-L.jpg

I'm telling you it was worse than going to a Mexican cock fight. I was just sick.

Like a loon Bill was sick. Hell he was right in the middle of the mayhem with the dammit Don doll.

The bad juju on this trip continues for me. I should be thrilled to get home in one piece. I arrive at home and my lovely bride helps me unload. My helmet, a 6 or 7 year old Arai Quantum II, is in a helmet sleeve with strings. While I was walking up the stairs with heavy suitcase she grabs the just the strings on the sleeve and the helmet falls to the pavement with a kurwump. My heart sunk with the distinct sound of a helmet bouncing off the garage floor.

Now, contrary to popular belief, dropping helmet on pavement will not ruin it. (I learned this at a helmet seminar a couple of years ago). The juju is the helmet fell squarely on the left top vent mechanism breaking it half - the helmet surface does not have a scratch. Now my helmet vent is FUBAR.

Were is that dammit Don doll when you need him? I am sorry I didn't put that doll on the BBQ on Monday, fried has ass, wrapped it in a piece of meat and feed him to the dogs.

Skip, I know the cause of the rain in Mexico! You had a Canadian in the pack, they bring their crummy wet and cold weather with them always.

You will notice on the To: line the name of Maria Elena, a Hosette from Neuva Brunswicka! She went with AZ Beemers and FJR Forum when we rode to Cabo San Lucas in January-February of 2013. Since Baja California has been in my backyard since I was a teenager I have ridden there forever, I have never seen three straight days of rain in the Baja Peninsula! However, you add a Frostback to the mix and it will rain ese!

https://www.fjriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=198&p=1296&hilit=Cabo+San+Lucas#p1296 Eliminate the Canucks, you remove all the rain ese!

Saludos y recuerdos,

Don Stanley
Chandler, AZ 85225
Cell: 480-440-4666

-----Original Message-----
To: Juan Stanglmaier <[email protected]>
Cc: alberto Clave <[email protected]>; Don Stanley <[email protected]>
Sent: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 10:57 am
Subject: Re: huasteca tour

Estimado Amigos,

This week I was asked about the possibility of rain by some travelers soon to ride with us out of Turkey to in the Caucasus of Russia . I replied to them that my confidence level in making comment on rain is at an all time low....I have a group in Mexico "during the dry season" that have been riding in rain for a week. If you want to make lemonade out of lemons..... at least it wasn't dusty!

First of all many thanks Don for putting this group together and we all wish you a speedy recovery. No doubt you have a bit of a challenge ahead of you but I have a feeling you'll be back on two wheels soon. We're behind you!

I'm working on a new t-shirt design so look for something to come your way soon. Additionally, you have earned yourselves a $100 in Touratech Rewards. I'm going to bump it up another $100 (lets call it a "soggy riding bonus") so look for instructions on how to go shopping for $200 worth of goodies from Touratech.

Thanks so much for riding with us. Alberto and Juan as well as Ken have been raving about your spirit. I hope the next time I'll be the one to share the fun.

Saludos,
Skip Mascorro
FOUNDER

685 Persimmon Hill
Bulverde, TX 78163
Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564
PH (830) 438-7744
[email protected]
www.motodiscovery.com
Click here to receive the Navigator Newsletter!

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Juan Stanglmaier <[email protected]> wrote:
so we all know it rained.....

it rained a lot !

but just how much rain did we get ?

Well om the news yesterday they announced that a new record for rain in march was broken . The record stood since 1941 .......

Some of you are still on the way home just like myself after a day of resting and shopping in Mcallen. It was a pleasure to share this week with you and keep in mind that any time you are welcome in san miguel de allende . We usually have a bike or two standing around , some great roads, tacos and tequila!

Saludos

Juan

...since Don has not been cutting and pasting and screwing up the order of things on those threads! Mis Hermanos, I've only begun to screw things up ese!

Where is that dammit Don doll when you need him? I am sorry I didn't put that doll on the BBQ on Monday, fried his ass, wrapped it in a piece of meat and feed him to the dogs.

Damit Don a bandit boy;

Safely back in the USA. The Federales say, they could have had you any day. But, they let you slip away, from kindness I suppose.

P1030039.jpg

I'm about 150 kilometers west of the Barber Motorcycle Museum and am planning on making a return visit to see a few items I missed on my earlier visit. There is no rush to get home since it is still freezing and there is snow in my driveway that I don't want to shovel.

Someone wanted a list of the folks that were on this trip. Here are some of them when we went to dinner at an outdoor catana in Gomez Farais....

IMG_2410-L.jpg

Starting in the foreground and going clockwise -

- Ken riding a 800 BMW GS - a friend of Skip and helped out on the tour with translation

- Chris riding a 1190 KTM Adventure - member of the FJRForum

- Juan - the driver of the support truck

continuing on the other side of table

- a local guide that helped with our ride up to Alta Cima

- Darryl riding a 1200 BMW GS - member of AZBeemers

- Brian riding a 800 BMW GS - member of AZBeemers

- Barry (Bear) in the hat riding a 800 BMW GS - member of AZBeemers

I am sorry I didn't put that doll on the BBQ on Monday, fried has ass, wrapped it in a piece of meat and feed him to the dogs.
Sorry to hear about the helmet Fontanaman, at least it was due for replacement!
Don't hold back on the doll...but wrapping it in bacon...LOL

Glad you made it home safe and sound!

--G

With the help of Ionbeam and the web I found a source to replace the helmet vent for a total cost of $16.95. Dare I say my luck is looking up?

My boots stink so I am going boot shopping to Saturday. While in Mexico I asked everybody and everybody had wet feet regardless of the boot they were wearing.

Maybe we should condemn the Damit Don doll to eternal gym locker stink hell by putting him in one of my boots in a moist humid environment. Yeah yeah that's the ticket!
smile.png

I stopped back in at the Barber Motorcycle Museum and as a bonus this time there was a motorcycle club track day happening. Took a few more photos of some bikes I missed last time around and will post up those photos later on the Barber Museum thread when I get home and have a faster internet connection.

I am in Bowling Green, KY tonight and am watching the Supercross from Detroit tonight. Tomorrow morning I'm going to check out the Corvette Museum here in town and then this thread is going completely in the dumpster as I stop in and see Bust tomorrow.

I do have one photo to share from Barber today from back in the storage area. I took this with my iPhone using the panorama function which explains the weird lens distortion...

IMG_2445-L.jpg

If you are ever in Leeds, Alabama and find that you are a little hungry there is a pretty good barbecue called Rusty's in town. I had a brisket sandwich....

IMG_2448-L.jpg

The restaurant is a supporter of the museum and the decor is motorcycle related...

IMG_2450-L.jpg

For some reason this poster near the washroom made me think of BeemerDons...

IMG_2451-L.jpg

I am getting keen to get home and start pulling down the WR450 to see what went wrong and whether to fix the bike or just buy a new fuel injected WR450 and not have to worry about the jetting anymore.

I forgot to mention the pretty cool Polaris Strongbow that was parked outside the barbecue place....

IMG_2439-L.jpg

IMG_2440-L.jpg

IMG_2442-L.jpg

The biscuits and gravy I had for breakfast at Lancy's Home Cooking Restaurant in Leeds before heading over to the museum was tasty but the coffee was watered down....

IMG_2443-L.jpg

Made it back safety on Friday with a grand total of 3702 miles. As much as I hate to admit it my Renzaco seat is not worth a crap on anything over 200 miles!! My arse has never been so sore.
not_i.gif
Jim those green ear plugs work great!! I been real happy with the KTM, she ran great with no problems.
smile.png

I'll regret to the end of my days not being able to make this ride with my good Friends, I know God has his purposes but I so wanted this dirt ride! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos!

I'll regret to the end of my days not being able to make this ride with my good Friends, I know God has his purposes but I so wanted this dirt ride! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos!
Sounds to me we should arrange for a redo. I know there are some awesome dirt roads that we never got to ride. Good luck talking any of the Zonies to go back Brian said that was about 10 years of Zonie rain that we had in 10 days. I don't think that Bear will ever dry out.

Tell them to leave the Beemers at home and get a nice light WR250R and they will have a lot more fun.

OK guys - here's a long 7 minutes if you care to watch. I put together some clips from the first 5 days, after which I headed north for drier skies. I think Bill and Brian's photos give you a better sense of the off-bike part of the trip, but here's a glimpse of the riding conditions..... I know you're all hoping to see some bikes on their sides in the mud but no such luck
punk.gif