My '07 feejer stopped running after dropping it off ctr stand for ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, if that's the S4 connector (?) isn't it supposed to have Yamaha's "recall " harness attached to it, if all your recalls have been done ?

I checked other grounding couplers and fuses and they are okay.

So I had the feejer towed to Prescott Cycle Service Monday. I just got off the phone with Anthony (shop owner) who said his diagnostic check which indicated ECU error. He said he can't get to it because the compartment door will not open (no power) to remove screws so the front end can be removed. He said Yamaha has a bad design where the door can't open if the bike isn't powered on.

1. I would expect that the dealer could jump power to the circuit.

2. Shhh, don't tell anyone but the door can be popped open with a tiny bit of force and it won't hurt anything.

1. I would expect that the dealer could jump power to the circuit.2. Shhh, don't tell anyone but the door can be popped open with a tiny bit of force and it won't hurt anything.
He did say he might have to jump power to the circuit to get the door open. He did mention the cost of the ECU if needing replacement, ouch. He also said 89k miles on this bike is a lot but I said I haven't been riding it much the last 3 years.

ECU failures are almost unheard of. Your symptoms due to ground issues is heard of regularly.
Just called Outdoor Sports (authorized dealer) and they quoted the ECU for my bike at $1188. I hope that is not the issue.

Anthony at Prescott Cycle Service said it is not a grounding issue because all the components check out and he won't get to working on it again until tomorrow.

FWIW, the things you list as problems are unrelated to the ECU functions, it still sounds like a connector problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, Anthony doesn't know squat.

If proven otherwise, I will gladly and humbly eat my words.

Good luck.

Prolly trying to get the dash panels off to find a spider or wanting to remove the front nose to find spiders? I'd be checking those first rather than replacing an ECU.

Here is what I assume is the S4 ground terminal under the left side gas tank. It checks out as good. I will move to the S6 ground terminal tomorrow.

412701710.jpg
I'm surprised nobody caught this. NEITHER OF THESE IS THE S4 GROUND SPIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are looking in the wrong place. The ones you show are the S2 & S3 spiders. S4 is way forward on the same side, tucked up by the thermostat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiders_zps85c5f8ef.gif

I just picked my '07 feejer from Prescott Cycle Service. He did get it started but doesn't know what the problem is and it was not the ECU even though it came up on the diagnostic check. He said there were a lot code numbers that popped up but doesn't remember all of them. I said I wanted to know what the problem was, which he replied that I should leave the bike and he would spend more hours$$$ chasing it down and still not know. He said the ABS light stays on (dimly) now but doesn't seem to be affecting anything but I could leave the bike there and he might get to next week by pulling the breaks to investigate more. I thank him and left after paying for 3 hours time spent.

I asked how he got it started, which he said was his secret. Nice!

I ran the diagnostic check and found the resultant information:

d:02 > 8

d:03 > 83

d:05 > 81

d:06 > 79

d:08 > 06

d:09 > 108

d:61 > 13,15,19,21,22,30,32,41

d:62 > 8

I would imagine Anthony at Prescott Cycle Service found the same codes but since my bike was running now he didn't have to figure out the problem.

I ran the diagnostic check and found the resultant information:d:02 > 8

d:03 > 83

d:05 > 81

d:06 > 79

d:08 > 06

d:09 > 108

d:61 > 13,15,19,21,22,30,32,41

d:62 > 8

I would imagine Anthony at Prescott Cycle Service found the same codes but since my bike was running now he didn't have to figure out the problem.
d:62 says you have had 8 errors stored.

d:61 says you had codes for:

intake air pressure sensor

Throttle position sensor

side stand switch

coolant temperature sensor

intake temperature sensor

tip over (at some time the bike has fallen over)

air-fuel ration compensation in the vicinity of lower limit

lean angle cut-off

d:02 > is invalid without cranking the engine or using a vacuum gauge

d:03 > is invalid without cranking the engine

d:05 > intake air temperature should have been in the 25 - 30 degree C range -- had the engine been running befoe checking these values?

d:06 > coolant temperature -- had the engine been running befoe checking these values?

d:08 > lean angle says the bike is upright

d:09 > says the fuel system voltage (battery voltage) is 10.8 volts

Many of the d:61 codes would happen together like this if there was a problem with the ECU supplied 5 volt reference circuit. Mebby a connector issue or a wire got pinched. If a 5 volt wire got pinched it would take out all those sensors at once. If the ECU connector was not locked in it could also cause these fault codes.

I asked how he got it started, which he said was his secret.
Since there was no repair you can't be expected to pay for nothing, so pay nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: