My '07 feejer stopped running after dropping it off ctr stand for ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell Raymond at Yamaha Corp in Cypress that he's a wanker.
Anthony at Prescott, too!

Seriously, I don't know how these guys stay in business (or get into the business in the first place). It's a good thing that the FJR is (almost) as reliable as a hammer or we would have a lot more issues.

To the original poster, I appreciate that you want to work with the local service guys if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself but the early warning signs should have had you looking elsewhere!! You need to find out why Yamaha said that the recall for the S4 had been performed when it clearly was not. Looks like some service department was billing Yamaha for recall work that they never performed. (That should get someone's ass kicked!!) You might listen a little closer to the almost unanimous voice of experience from many individuals on this forum in relation to the diagnosis of your problem.

I hope you get some satisfaction out of Yamaha. At this point, I would push for a new wiring harness to be installed by someone who knows which end of the wrench is applied to a bolt! (Or which wires lead back to the battery in the case of an electrical repair)

Good luck with it.

If the recall was officially performed on this vehicle, and duly registered with Yamaha Corporate, and a VIN number search verifies this information, is there a recall harness existing on this bike? I would be interested in verifying the large connector in front of the battery where the other end of the recall harness is supposed to be attached.

And since when does a Safety Recall mandated by the NTSB expire?

Brodie

🤔

Funny thing Esteemed members,

The exact same fault on the owners forum the day after pegscraper found his fault, an 07 as well. lol lol

Should have a standard Spider proforma letter / information to post off, just copy and paste for the next spider fault, lol lol.

Maybe a good idea, and the esteemed membership can add to it, save pulling out what's left of our hair.

He's off on a wild goose chase, rather obvious its the S4 or S6.

Only 2 posts on the Forum and lacking Forum etiquette.

Don't even know where he lives or if the recall was even done :-(

Told him what to do but no he wants to check the S7, why ????

He hasn't answered any of my questions, may give up. Really don't know why I bother, Wish I could hop on a bike & ride, cry.

These faults have been around so long now they should be in NEPRT's in a separate directory.

I had better load up some programs on the desktop and update the Map.

I would love to trace the #3 connector wiring but too crook to do anything.

Enjoy the weekend

Cheers

Funny thing Esteemed members,
The exact same fault on the owners forum the day after pegscraper found his fault, an 07 as well. lol lol

Should have a standard Spider proforma letter / information to post off, just copy and paste for the next spider fault, lol lol.

Maybe a good idea, and the esteemed membership can add to it, save pulling out what's left of our hair.

He's off on a wild goose chase, rather obvious its the S4 or S6.

Only 2 posts on the Forum and lacking Forum etiquette.

Don't even know where he lives or if the recall was even done :-(

Told him what to do but no he wants to check the S7, why ????

He hasn't answered any of my questions, may give up. Really don't know why I bother, Wish I could hop on a bike & ride, cry.

These faults have been around so long now they should be in NEPRT's in a separate directory.

I had better load up some programs on the desktop and update the Map.

I would love to trace the #3 connector wiring but too crook to do anything.

Enjoy the weekend

Cheers
Goday to you Ken. I appreciate all your spot on comments, advice and funny jabs. I wish I could/would follow through about "stick it to" the Yamaha service & various MC shops that provided the non-service recalls (then back-charging the Yamaha Mother-ship). If I would have found the fried S4 ground terminal first off and not the other grounding terminals, life would be a little more improved. At this point in my quest to resolve the Yamaha reoccurring design flaw, I am scheduled to, again, have the FJR towed to Outdoor Sports Yamaha in Prescott Valley (this time) for diagnosis. Hopefully, Yamaha Cypress will be good to pony up paying on repairing the items again, that the other shop didn't do in 2011. So, let's see what the Yamaha shop comes up with and will Yamaha cover the cost. Thank you and I will post findings, I hope, soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope Yamaha do the right thing by you.

I get so sick to death of dealers treating customers like that and ripping off owners.

It's happened to a few mates of mine over here.

I couldn't recommend a dealer in SE Qld to anyone.

Just document everything, dates, pics, anything that would help a claim, forum posts !

The only problem, they only offer recalls when there is danger of a serious accident.

I don't know the specifics.

I think there has been some input about the other spiders ???

And just because an owner had the recall done, there can still be neutral faults even with the 2010 bikes up to the Gen 3's

And it doesn't address all the faults.

I had all sorts of problems with my 2013 new Triumph Trophy.

No satisfaction anywhere, 9 faults in 3 months, really not good for their flagship.

Unfortunately we have no Lemon Laws here in Australia.

I was firing off videos and pictures to the dealer and to Triumph Australia every week with different faults.

I was so lucky I still had the trusty 07 to ride, all up nearly 200,000 kms with no faults with any of my FJR's.

I couldn't trust the Trophy riding to the local shop.

Lucky I found a dealer 500kms away that sold both Triumph and Yamaha. (Rare)

Traded the Trophy on a bike I love, the new Gen3 ES, the first in Australia.

Didn't loose to much money.

I crossed my fingers if the bike made it down there, lol lol.

I found it funny that a gent joined the Owners Forum with a 07 with a possible similar fault.

Wasn't you by by any chance, I'll change the post !

My post above wasn't about you, it was about the other neutral fault the day after and has given me a good idea.

If not, I think I have a complete bypass grounding harness here I'll do a deal on, at cost price, will do all six 12 volt spiders.

Remember you will have to treat the other spiders before to long.

Cheers

Here is the latest S4 grounding terminal update. My '07 was delivered to Outdoor Sports in Prescott Valley, AZ and they determined that the recall fix had been done but was connected incorrectly. It was as if no recall fix had been done. The new service manager, Ben, said no other damage had occurred to the bike and parts have been ordered from Japan. Maybe the necessary parts are in some nearby shop and may only take days to fix or it could take weeks to get the parts in. Ben did say he has spoke to Sabrina at Yamaha in Cypress but may need me to play advocate to get Yamaha to cover costs.

Again, thanks to all here who have given me valuable direction for tracking down the culprit. One can only hope the Yamaha shops have your best interest.

Good one, Hopefully on the bike in no time.

I don't know if I mention to check to see if the bypass wire was hooked up correctly. ??? I normally do on this topic.

Has been some cases of not hooking up the -Ve side of the bridge, and then marked off as a completed job.

The dealer who did the original job should cover all the costs and more, I'd be spitting chips if I were you.

Civil action ???

Just document everything and make Yamaha USA aware of the problems you had at least.

If no damage has been done, what parts do they need to replace ?

Sounds something like a wiring harness ?

Normally the S4 burns up fairly quickly, buy the time you persist with that fault after a few weeks, damage has occurred,

The Yamaha dealers don't normally repair, they replace the whole harness. Independent dealers sometimes repair if not too bad..

I suppose they want to keep you in the dark.

Cheers

Normally the S4 burns up fairly quickly, buy the time you persist with that fault after a few weeks, damage has occurred,The Yamaha dealers don't normally repair, they replace the whole harness. Independent dealers sometimes repair if not too bad..

I suppose they want to keep you in the dark.

Cheers
This was the case for me... refer to post #49 in https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/169532-do-i-have-a-spider-problem/page-3

That is, my 07 had the recall done in 2011, but I experienced problems just within the last month. S4 has scorch marks due to intermittent contact and it was deemed (finally!) that the whole harness needs replacing. This is being done at Yamaha's expense.

Unfortunately I didn't to check to see if the recall bypass wire was hooked up correctly as suggested by Queensland Ken prior to having it towed to the dealership, and the dealer made no mention of that to me. It took nearly two weeks of wrangling between me, the dealership and Yamaha customer relations before Yamaha agreed to replace the wiring harness at their cost. It's still in the shop awaiting arrival of the harness from California.

I found the culprit, the infamous S4 grounding connector.I brought my FJR in for the recall to Temecula Motorsports, who did the work(?) but did they. What recourse do I have?

Anthony, at Prescott Cycle Service said I could have it towed in again and would splice the harness, exposing more of the wiring, cut the connector and try joining the wires.

Or I could try it myself.

412749541.jpg
412749540.jpg
Ben, at Outdoor Sports Yamaha in Prescott Valley said they had ordered the Wire Harness but not sure when it will arrive. He was told it is coming from Japan.

I just got off the phone with Raymond at Yamaha Customer Services (800) 962-7926, who said I may have to pay the repair costs because his records indicate that Temecula Motorsports Inc. had made the necessary repairs per Yamaha recall. I told him according to Service Mgr. Ben at Outdoor Sports, the wire harness was installed incorrectly. Raymond went on to say the bike would not run if it was installed incorrectly. I am getting no where with this. Ben said the Yamaha Customer Service people may not know the mechanics of the FJR.

Stay tuned.

It has already been said a few times but the recall was not installed. The cap comes off the S4 and a grounding harness gets attached. Your picture shows an untouched S4.

I am one happy camper again. My '07FJR is back in the stable with the recall done again by Outdoor Sports.

Temecula Motorsports never completed the recall correctly. They did not attach a ground wire to each grounding terminal, thus eventually frying out the S4 grounding terminal.

I finally connected with Sean Dixon with Yamaha, Cypress who did a phenomenal job getting expedited approval for the service work and tracking down the necessary parts. If I were to connect with him from the get-go I wouldn't have to endure all the grief.

Thank you FJR forum peeps for all the guidance in the help. Let's ride.
bike.gif

I'm pleased that you finally found a shop (and technician) sufficiently competent to correctly diagnose and (hopefully) repair the problem as Temecula should have done. Keep in mind that you could have had this sorted out over ten weeks ago if you had paid closer attention to what a half dozen or so people were telling you (without even needing to see the bike). Keep an eye on the S6 spider and other connectors. There is a pretty fair chance you will have more issues eventually - the recall only deals with the so-called S4.