My '07 feejer stopped running after dropping it off ctr stand for ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point, perhaps worth getting a load test done on the battery and checking the spiders. Then, with all known good, I'd clear all those codes and see if any repeat and go from there.

See my comment in Post #29, above!

Grounding issues tend to come and go; at least for a while. This one is currently is at the "poor connection" stage. Once it hits the "nuclear meltdown" stage (and it will, eventually), no amount of mechanic's secrets will make that puppy start - at least until you fix the connectors and pump new smoke into the wiring harness.

Many of the d:61 codes would happen together like this if there was a problem with the ECU supplied 5 volt reference circuit. Mebby a connector issue or a wire got pinched. If a 5 volt wire got pinched it would take out all those sensors at once. It the ECU connector was not locked in it could also cause these fault codes.
Come to think of it, I needed to uninstall the back-rest and sheep skin covers from the seats. So I removed and reinstalled the seat and perhaps pinching a wire when I dropped the bike off the center stand. Just a thought.

At this point, perhaps worth getting a load test done on the battery and checking the spiders. Then, with all known good, I'd clear all those codes and see if any repeat and go from there.
I would hate to take the bike back to Anthony at Prescott Cycle Service for a battery load test $$$. The battery is about 5+ years old and is a battery load test something I could do?

Here is what I assume is the S4 ground terminal under the left side gas tank. It checks out as good. I will move to the S6 ground terminal tomorrow.

412701710.jpg
I'm surprised nobody caught this. NEITHER OF THESE IS THE S4 GROUND SPIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are looking in the wrong place. The ones you show are the S2 & S3 spiders. S4 is way forward on the same side, tucked up by the thermostat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiders_zps85c5f8ef.gif
Would this be the S4? It is further forward on the left side.

412730606.jpg

Pegscraper,

The problem with taking close up pictures of a connector is that it's usually too close and the viewer looses reference of just where it is located.

That looks to be the grounding shunt next to the glove box forward of the bike's frame - too much daylight in the picture. Raise the fuel tank, remove the T-bar, and heat shield, and look at the area between the coolant pipe atop the engine and the frame. The large main wire harness resides there. Look towards the left of the area and you will find the grounding shunt that has the greatest history of giving grief.

The image below shows the ground shunt in question. You can just see the black cap at the left edge of the picture. It's a pain to get to because the wires are so short, but this is where the Yamaha recall harness plugs into.

DSC00043.jpg

Pop the black cap off, pull the shorting bar off and have a good look at the white plastic connector. There is 1 wire that carries the full amperage of this daisy chain back to the main harness ground cable.

Hopefully your's looks more like this...

IMG_2163.jpg

Not like this...

Burnt-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this be the S4? It is further forward on the left side.
412730606.jpg
Did you open the links provided in post #22 of this thread? Those two links in post #22

of this thread clearly show the location of the S4 ground spider. Brodie is right- your picture is way too close to determine what you are looking at.
Thanks, I thought I had the S4 in sight but obviously not. I have a full tank at the moment and I plan on getting to the S4 after a good ride (LESS GAS IN TANK) once the rain lets up here.

Everybody have been a great help with my feejer issues. I will clear the error codes too.

I am back to square one again. I loaded the '07 up for a long ride/photo shoot/diner with my honey, mounted her and it started to turn over and then quit with the same indicator dash lights on and fuel gauge flashing. I called Anthony at Prescott Cycle Service, who said it could be the wiring harness needing replacement. I said that it was in the recall, which had been done. To which he said that was years ago and may not be covered. He said I could bring it in but it may cost me more than the bike is worth.

I now have the bike apart again, looking for the S4 ground. I have the gas tank up and heat shield out. I see a couple ground connectors, one on each side of center, I will try get access to examine and grease up. Cross my fingers it will start up.

A side note: I am debating buying the 2017 feejer when it comes out this spring.

I found the culprit, the infamous S4 grounding connector.

I brought my FJR in for the recall to Temecula Motorsports, who did the work(?) but did they. What recourse do I have?

Anthony, at Prescott Cycle Service said I could have it towed in again and would splice the harness, exposing more of the wiring, cut the connector and try joining the wires.

Or I could try it myself.

412749541.jpg
412749540.jpg

Keeping in mind that Anthony is the guy that said it wasn't a grounding problem, that it was likely the ECU and he couldn't access the ECU because he couldn't open the glove box so he could remove the nose... Maybe I would just fix it myself! (About four weeks ago, at least a half dozen people (correctly) identified the issue as a grounding problem and gave a number of possibilities of point-of-failure in descending order of likelihood with S4 at the top) This was without even seeing the bike.

Since the failure point was the S4 which was the subject of the recall, I think I would first find a competent Yamaha shop. You might be able to get it fixed expertly for free. You might even get a whole new wiring harness out of it since there is obvious damage. Don't know what Yamaha is doing along those lines a half dozen years after the original recall. Doesn't cost anything to try.

I just got off the phone with Raymond at Yamaha Corp in Cypress. He could not tell me if the S4 ground terminal is part of the recall. He went on to say this recall period has ended 2012 but if an authorized Yamaha shop does diagnose the recall item was done incorrectly (something to that effect) it then could be covered. This is not very reassuring because I already paid Anthony at Prescott Cycle Service $$$.

Pegscraper, it sure looks like you have a legitimate claim to receive and new wiring harness from Yamaha. Nearly two years ago I had an S4 malfunction. This after having the recall done. Long story short, the technician hooked up the recall wire to S5. Yes the real easy one to get to to the right of the throttle cable. When I got the bike back to the servicing dealer {Power Yamaha in Sublimity Oregon} the service manager claimed the instructions from Yamaha for the recall were vague. Much conversation and hassle ensued. My S4 was not as corrupted as yours, but this guy cleaned up S4 and got the bike running, even with the dark and deformed white plastic he said I was good to go. After much conversation with him and a Yamaha customer service rep a completely new harness was installed. Yamaha covered it, but in my opinion it was definitely a dealer screw up and they should have paid for the repair. I know Temecula is not right around the corner for you, but maybe you can send the photos of your S4 to the Yamaha rep in Cypress. Obviously your recall repair was botched or not done at all. Hopefully you can source a more competent Yamaha service center in your area. Your photo obviously shows a problem with that grounding point. You definitely have a claim. 2012?? Mine was done in 2014.

Just my experience.

Good luck resolving this.

FFS get your self a service manual. Stop wasting money on idiots and listen to advice.

All the recalls may have been done, but you look for other Spider issue threads you have found your answer to the bikes problem.

Maybe get that weirdo mechanic to read them.

Spiders.jpg

This map I did for the benefit of FJR owners to track down problems with these faults. Plenty of posts on the Forum.

The only thing left to do is to add the two 5 volt low current transducer neutrals, S2 and S5 correct, get the terminology correct.

And to trace the 2 neutrals up front, a 12 volt and a 5 volt through Fairing Connector #3, really weird circuity.

#3 can cause similar faults to either the S4 or S6 and is often overlooked.

It also depends what and where the high resistance has occurred within the wiring or connector block or pins.

But the map will point in right direction.

As pointed out, only theS4 was addressed by Yamahahahaha, but if you search the Forum, many other spiders have had problems, one of which is yours :)

Even then there were problems with the S4.

Nice that you found it.

If you would have listened to our esteemed Forum members that nutted it out in the first few posts, you wouldn't of wasted money on an idiot.

1:Glove box not opening, may have been pin 4 S6 or a connector high resistance / burnt or the S4 dreaded bite.

Note, you normally loose power to the DC outlet.

2: When were the codes last cleared ?. Those error codes are junk without a clear history, some errors may have been years old.

Strange codes, a crook ECU points to that particular neutral current branch.

Their only common connection point between the glove box and ECU is the S4 connector, BINGO !

3: Strange transducer faults, may be a ECU 5 volt supply fault from the ECU itself. The ECU neutral is via the S6 and then the S4

Multiple transducer faults are not normal & indicate a power supply problem.

4: Just because the recall was done, doesn't mean it was done correctly, a few cases of the bridging wire not being connected or recorded that it had been completed and wasn't. As in your case. Only a visual check at both ends will confirm that it was.

5: A crook S6 or S6 pin 4 or wire leading to the S4 will have the same effect. Connector #3 requires investigation & treatment with dialectic grease. The connector has multiple circuits, no carbon grease. My 08 project FJR was highly corroded.

6: High resistance can be anything from very slight oxidation to very noticeable green copper oxide. Easily fixed, clean & treat with carbon grease. As mentioned pull off the black cap and pull out the spider for a good visual and check the associated wiring.

Then you get the melted black plastic caps & melted wiring looms as was shown.

7: The best prevention is to shunt the neutral current of all 6 12 volt spiders with your own wiring bypass harness, a 2 hour job.

Just treat the two 5 volt neutral connectors. Solder on pigtails to each spider, solder them to a master trunk wire back to the -Ve battery terminal, not to the frame. Do not mix 5V and 12V circuits.

8: Carbon grease is the best to use, Dialectic grease is a insulator. It is ok to use if there is a good mating surface on the pins.

But may make a poor contact worse. ?

9: Finally

blue hi beam AND green "N" AND neutral light AND both solid turn indicator lights PLUS the fuel level gauge blinking
The classic S6 symptom plus AND classic S3 with the flashing fuel gauge, their common point is at the S4, one of the classic S4 symptoms.

It pays to check out all the functions, horn, windscreen, all lights and indicators etc & record results.

Most likely your screen wouldn't work, grip heaters buggered, indicator bulbs on full time at 1/2 brilliance, no horn etc. symptoms will vary according to the fault location.

Perform a radiator fan diagnostic test with everything ON, esp the grip heaters, lights etc and fire up the radiator fans and most likely electrons leaking from under tank, not nice.

You may be able to resurrect the spider but have the government recall done, then shunt the other five 12V spiders and treat the two 5V spiders and connector #3

I just got off the phone with Raymond at Yamaha Corp in Cypress. He could not tell me if the S4 ground terminal is part of the recall. He went on to say this recall period has ended 2012 but if an authorized Yamaha shop does diagnose the recall item was done incorrectly (something to that effect) it then could be covered. This is not very reassuring because I already paid Anthony at Prescott Cycle Service $$$.
Tell Raymond at Yamaha Corp in Cypress that he's a wanker.

Report Receipt Date: JUN 27, 2011NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V338000

Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
All Products Associated with this Recall Details 14 Associated Documents Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA
SUMMARY:YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2009 FJR1300 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 2006, THROUGH MARCH 2009. THE GROUND JOINT CONNECTOR OF THE WIRE HARNESS COULD OVERHEAT AND BECOME DEFORMED, POSSIBLY CAUSING AN INTERMITTENT GROUND WIRE CONNECTION. IF THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS NOT PROPERLY GROUNDED, THE IGNITION SYSTEM AND/OR OTHER ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS COULD MALFUNCTION, WHICH COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL. CONSEQUENCE:IF THE MOTORCYCLE STALLS WHILE BEING RIDDEN, THERE COULD BE A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH. REMEDY:YAMAHA DEALERS WILL INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL WIRE SUB-LEAD OR, IF THE GROUND JOINT CONNECTOR HAS ALREADY BEEN DAMAGED FROM OVERHEATING, DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW MAIN WIRE HARNESS. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 8, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926. NOTES:OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
First on the list funny enough.

I wouldn't take my bike there ever, try another dealer.

Or get a member to check their work.

A letter with detailed photos and conversations to Yamaha.

Those guys shouldn't be working on bikes.

Give them curry.

Cheers