Has anyone had a main relay go bad?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slardy

Reaction score

After a short ride and then a 2 hour lunch, I hopped back on my trusty FJR, got a brief crank out of the engine, then nothing. On the dashboard the following:

Gas gauge flashing

Air temp, coolant temp, OD and time, working

Both green turn signal indicators lamps on

Neutral light on and not responding to gear position

High beam blue light on

Brake lights and windscreen motor not responding.

I did not get the ground wire harness recall done as I did check both of the key grounds in the front left side of the fairing and they were pristine. I have not checked them a t this time because I cannot get the glove compartment door open…no power to the solenoid?

When turning the key on, no fuel pump whine, the tach and speedo dials cycle normally.

A few days before, I completed a 300 mile run with no problems. The only think that is an issue is that I have been getting a yellow warning light on the dash which I have traced to an issue in the tubing feeding the air pressure indicator. I have played with it and got it to go away on 2 occasions, but it did come on when I first started the FJR this day. After the engine warms up, I restart and the yellow light stayed off. This is normal situation ever since this yellow light started coming on 2 years ago. Diag code 14.

That just about does it. I have removed all accessories from the + battery terminal. BTW, the Datel shows a normal 13.1 volts after a few days of non-usage. No controls operate, e.g. turn signals, horn (which is triggered from the headlight via a relay), brake lights.

I have checked all fuses and I will be checking the relays next.

May I have your suggestions please.

Slardy

Slardy,

That really really sounds like an S6/S7 spider, the one up front on the left (if you were sitting on the bike).

Do you have headlights? I had all of those same symptoms, minus the headlights when mine was fried.

-MD

Edit: The Spider that I might add, that the wiring harness recall does NOT address anyway.

I RR'd that one and added the Brodie harness and have been fine since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spider bite as stated above. One or more - I would deal with at least the two usual suspects while you are in there. (include the recall one, even if it looks OK)

How can I remove the left side top cover without power to the glovebox solenoid?

Slardy

Slardy,
That really really sounds like an S6/S7 spider, the one up front on the left (if you were sitting on the bike).

Do you have headlights? I had all of those same symptoms, minus the headlights when mine was fried.

-MD

Edit: The Spider that I might add, that the wiring harness recall does NOT address anyway.

I RR'd that one and added the Brodie harness and have been fine since.
No headlights. But, they normally do not come on until the engine is running.

Slardy

The spider in question is located near the left front turn signal.

Access it by removing the inner fairing panel near the radiator

adjacent to the front wheel.

Remove the cover and the metal clip from the spider and

THOROUGHLY clean all contacts, slather with dielectic (sp)

grease and reassemble.

Check for normal operation and functions before buttoning up.

The spider in question is located near the left front turn signal.Access it by removing the inner fairing panel near the radiator

adjacent to the front wheel.

Remove the cover and the metal clip from the spider and

THOROUGHLY clean all contacts, slather with dielectic (sp)

grease and reassemble.

Check for normal operation and functions before buttoning up.
This one?

(Click on image for larger view)

If you look here there are some pictures I took when removing my tupperware (I was undressing the whole front, so some are irrelevant).

Replying to mcatrophy: yes, that is the correct spider.

Removing the "clip" will cause all of the symptoms mentioned

by the OP.

Proper cleaning of contacts will restore affected operations.

This is assuming it hasn't already overheated to the point

it is no longer usable.

I was having the same (intermittent) symptoms as the OP. I dug into the indicated spider and it didn't look too bad from the front side. The back of the plastic housing had a burn mark on it but not terrible. The metal spider itself was mildly tarnished from heat. (It had given me problems once before but that time I just cleaned it up and reassembled.) This time, I cut the offending arachnid off completely and soldered all of the wires together.

Replying to mcatrophy: yes, that is the correct spider.Removing the "clip" will cause all of the symptoms mentioned

by the OP.

Proper cleaning of contacts will restore affected operations.

This is assuming it hasn't already overheated to the point

it is no longer usable.
Just did that one yesterday installing another BPH for R/R. Also did the one that is around the ECU. Both looked good so I ACF-50ed them and put them back together. They looked better then the one on the right when the tank is lifted at 0 miles. No rhyme or reason to them. So I have Road Runners harness, and now Jacks harness for the R/R. What BPH next?

Your failure sure sounds like a ground spider failure like the one I experienced on my 07 and that I reported on in THIS THREAD. Mine was the spider above the left headlight.

The problem with the recall is that it doesn't address the spider that failed on my bike and some other FJR owners. If your failure is not fixed by the recall (ie, you have a different spider that failed), please post the results on THIS THREAD AND report your failure at Safercar.gov . Make sure to clearly state that the failed grounding connector is not the one being addressed by NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V-338.

Slardy
Because it's not the cause of your problem, I ignored your original question. I have actually had my starter relay go bad. It would click, but the main contacts must have been burned because there was no current flow to the starter. YES replaced the relay and all have been well since.