My quest to replace the Quest.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the Schuberth C3 and loved it. I upgraded to the C4. I can not recommend the C4. Bigger shell, and the integrated bluetooth system is finicky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went by Cycle Gear yesterday. Justin, the C/G manager that I rave about, had the day off and that was a good thing. He would have just convinced me to buy one and I'm not entirely ready yet.

I tried on Arai helmets, Bilt, HJC, Sedici, and Shoei helmets. The Bilt and Sedici were just for shits and giggles, to be honest. As suspected, the Arai helmet (even the "slimmest" one) is shaped too rounded for my oval head. The Shoei does and always has fit my head shape the best.

The RF-SR quite frankly fit the best. The large size was just a very slight smidge tight in the cheek pads and the forehead, and I know from experience, after a week's worth of riding, those pads will smush absolutely perfect.

The RF-1200 fit very well too, but not as good as the RF-SR. The both felt about the same weight, and even though the RF1200 is CLEARLY shaped for a more sport oriented riding position, I did not notice any glare or distortion from the shield when viewing through it in my comfortable riding position (more upright than sport, obviously). Also, the difference in the "relief" cut on the back of the helmet to accommodate your neck isn't going to be an issue for the RF-1200.

The Neotech 2 was the worst fit of all of them. I could not find a size that would work comfortably with my bucket. The medium was way too tight in the forehead, and way too loose in the ears and cheek areas. The small was out of the question.

The GT-AIR in size large (my usual size) was entirely too big, and size Medium was very tight, but it might smush to my fit - maybe. Furthermore, just in the store, it was louder than the others. I know that contradicts what others have said here, but that's what I noticed. Also, the sun shade doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the shield opening. It seems no helmet with the sun shade does this. Does that cause some glare issues from bright light coming up from the bottom? None the less, it clears my prescription glasses with ease. But the GT-Air is NOT SNELL rated because of the sun shield. Any moving parts with in the helmet disqualify it for a SNELL rating. I asked the kid (who is SHOEI factory trained BTW) if we could assume that the rest of the helmet is the same as the others, and he emphatically replied we CAN NOT. In his training, they were specifically told that if it's not SNELL rated, you can't assume anything, so I won't and quite frankly, for a risk manager, I'm impressed with the kid. Shoei is doing the right thing.

So the GT-Air is out for me. That's a deal breaker, I'm afraid.

I'm down to the RF-SR v/s the RF-1200 and quite frankly, the jury is still out. I want to talk to Justin, who knows more in his thumb nail that I'll ever know. Hopefully, he will let me test ride them on my bike. Then I'll decide. The kid wasn't disappointed. He knows me and I told him I'm going to buy the helmet from his store.

So Pants, what is driving the "Quest" for the Snell Approved Helmet?

Was there a deficiency noted in "Pop"s real-world test of the Shoei Neotec, a DOT certified Helmet manufactured by a first tier manufacturer?

What is the magic in the Snell certification in your mind?

As to fit issues - a good fitter will first size the shell to your noggin, then substitute various cheek and headliners to make the perfect fit for you.

Ask Justin to substitute some different cheek pads in the helmets that are too tight or loose.

I went through several sets of cheek and head pads to get my Neotech to fit, same with my Quest before it.

I asked the kid (who is SHOEI factory trained BTW) if we could assume that the rest of the helmet is the same as the others, and he emphatically replied we CAN NOT. In his training, they were specifically told that if it's not SNELL rated, you can't assume anything,

I believe "the kid" may be mistaken. Compare the construction of the GT Air and the RF-SR

GT Air Tech Specs https://www.shoei-helmets.com/gt-air-ii-features-detail#concept-sec

RF-SR Tech Specs https://www.shoei-helmets.com/rf-sr-features-detail#concept-sec

Same Shell

GT-Air appears to have a superior EPS Liner system

GT-Air has a ratcheting Chin Strap

Shoei helmets are made from the same materials in the same factories, by the same people.

The Snell refusal to certify a helmet with "moving parts" (the inner visor in this case) is an anachronism.

They both will protect your noggin.

The "Test ride" should be your ultimate deciding factor.

Edit: I will not own a helmet without an internal sun visor. The safety factor provided by instant Sun Protection/Vision Improvement in glare/low sun conditions overcome any concerns I might have about the certification agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've also mentioned that some were a bit tight here or too loose there. I know Shoei offered three different sized cheek and head pads for my Neotec which allowed me to make it fit juuust right. Assuming they're still doing the same it might be worth asking about before discounting a model you're interested in, even if it adds thirty bucks to the price.

As far as the sun visor, my Neotec also stops just before the bridge of my nose and I've never had an issue with glare. To the contrary I've often pushed it back up higher using it more like a visor than a full screen.

Good advice all around. Next step is a revisit and conversation with Justin. Need to wait until post 2/24. That is when my credit card cycles. Ill be able to wait until April to pay for it (interest free). Ive got a rear shock to pay for next month.

And Im quite certain that when I go back, if justin is working, Im leaving with a cardboard box.....

Latest posts