Never Before Seen Penske Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Ross, as audiowize mentions above, you can purchase a complete rebuild kit from Penske which includes the bushing and seals needed to freshen up the shock. If you're just rebuilding one the Penske kit is the ticket. Since I'm the frugal type, I sourced individual parts and have o-rings in bulk packages.

Reference your Penske manual [or on-line] for complete descriptions.

Shock:

Items 15, 23, 25, 27 & 28. I'm adding 21, 35/36 & 37 based on findings from audiowize's rebuild.

Reservoir's are a little tricky as it appears Penske has changed styles over the years. For my 8986 series, I replace items 4 & 7. In general, I feel if the floating piston seal is replaced, it should be fine for many miles.

For tools, I purchased a oil overflow ring, shaft bearing wrench, N2 set-up and no-loss chuck. I plan to pick up a body clamp in the future.

Let me know if you have more questions.

--G

Thank you very much for the specific information on parts. I will have to check the number references on the parts. I am only doing one shock so I am thinking the Penske kit is the way to go. I assume the kit does not include the shaft - don't know whether to replace it after all these miles or just polish out the (very) fine scratches. Does the kit include the oil? Are the reservoir parts in the rebuild kit or are these separate?

I am going to dig out the manual and see who sells the Penske stuff in Canada.

Is there a step-by-step instruction with the kit (or on-line somewhere)? Or is it pretty obvious with the parts diagram once you have it opened up?

No doubt I will have further questions. I greatly appreciate the help.

I plan to pick up a body clamp in the future.--G
Like.
rolleyes.gif

. I assume the kit does not include the shaft - don't know whether to replace it after all these miles or just polish out the (very) fine scratches. Does the kit include the oil? Are the reservoir parts in the rebuild kit or are these separate?

Is there a step-by-step instruction with the kit (or on-line somewhere)? Or is it pretty obvious with the parts diagram once you have it opened up?
The kit doesn't include a new shaft. I would speculate that the shaft is a very expensive part. If you run your finger over it and can't feel anything nasty, I would just keep using it. If you feel roughness and you see gouging on your bushing, then replacement or very light burnishing might be the ticket.

You will need to purchase oil separately (shipping oil has some extra requirements that make it more convenient to buy locally). There is a specific 5W oil that is recommended.

I didn't see the reservoir parts in the kit, I'm sure George would let you know what you need based on which reservoir you have.

The instructions online go through how to separate the shaft from the shock body, and in the process you end up opening the reservoir. That's about all the tell you, but the major parts are reasonably easy to see at that point.