New high-speed wobble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to drop another two jumbo on a hot suspension setup right now...NOT!
Wellll, start with $1 jumbo on a rear shock. :blink:

Or maybe you can find someone with a good "take-off" OEM that would be willing to "help-a-brudda"?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the road have rain grooves?
I think that's what the problem was, along with new tires. I pumped 'em up a bit more (42/40) and headed out with the topcase and pods heavily weighted. On the first run, it was rock solid. Turning around and coming back, it started to wiggle a bit. I'm guessing that the tires warmed up and started sticking better to the concrete, which was grooved.

Anyway, I'm thinking the shock, while long in the tooth, is still OK. It hasn't really exhibited any symptoms to indicate it's worn out. If it does go, I'll try to warranty it, as it's not rebuildable, like the brake pads or fork seals.

If it goes another year, when the YES expires (08/08), I'll go aftermarket and put new life into my ride!

I suspect your rear shock is toast and the back-end is only supported by the spring. This is why your front end is higher. Your back-end got lower. Don't cut corners here, it is a safety thing.

Yes it gets a little spendy on those shocks.

Here is one I heard about but have no other information Progressice makes them, they are adjustable and rebuildable. Cost for the most expensive one was listed at $449.95

weekend rider

I suspect your rear shock is toast and the back-end is only supported by the spring. This is why your front end is higher. Your back-end got lower. Don't cut corners here, it is a safety thing.
Both ends are only supported by the springs regardless. The damping only controls the speed of the suspension action in both compression and extension.