New seat.. I'm on the Laam..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smitty still has the FJR? Wow!
flirt.gif

Handsome seat. What have you got in the background there?
The bike in the back ground is my BMW 800 GS. What a great bike it is. In the far left, showing a front wheel is a highly modified Suzuki DRZ 400 Supermoto.

Smitty

viewattachment44_zps7ae67634.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After riding a bit over 200 miles today in wind just around 30mph.. This seat feels very good. It is very neutral and don't feel like like I slide forward. That a plus, I hate sitting on my boys.
I think this is a great option for guys on the fence thinking Russell. I think this seat has better eye appeal (Laam).

I will put my stock seat on and get some measurements , see how height's compare.

Smitty
I put the tape measure on the Laam and a stock seat. Regardless of the position it was only 1/2" taller than stock. I think that is a lot better than the Russell for the guys with a short inseam.

flirt.gif
That's funny Carver... I am going to ride it out to see you...

Smitty

After riding a bit over 200 miles today in wind just around 30mph.. ............ ~
Smitty
I can vouch for this.

Smitty passed me (going the other way) and even waved !

Did he use all his fingers? Or just the middle one?
I only use one finger if I see you SkooterG...and maybe Carver, and Fairlaner for sure..

300 miles in the cold today. Got home and it was 37 deg and falling. Had a nice ride, and I think this seat will be a keeper. I LIKE IT!!

Smitty

Decisions, decisions....... Russell or Laam. Aye Carumba!
1st world problems can be tough.

My salesman was telling me about how good the new seat is and how much he enjoyed the Sargent on his Gen2. I had him walk out and look at the Laam on my ST1300. He was very impressed.

I told him for about the 20th time, "Join the FJRforum. You can learn about these kinds of things."

After riding a bit over 200 miles today in wind just around 30mph.. This seat feels very good. It is very neutral and don't feel like like I slide forward. That a plus, I hate sitting on my boys.
I think this is a great option for guys on the fence thinking Russell. I think this seat has better eye appeal (Laam).

I will put my stock seat on and get some measurements , see how height's compare.

Smitty
I put the tape measure on the Laam and a stock seat. Regardless of the position it was only 1/2" taller than stock. I think that is a lot better than the Russell for the guys with a short inseam.

flirt.gif
That's funny Carver... I am going to ride it out to see you...

Smitty

After riding a bit over 200 miles today in wind just around 30mph.. ............ ~
Smitty
I can vouch for this.

I only use one finger if I see you SkooterG...and maybe Carver, and Fairlaner for sure..

300 miles in the cold today. Got home and it was 37 deg and falling. Had a nice ride, and I think this seat will be a keeper. I LIKE IT!!

Smitty
Come on out, Sir Smitty!

:fuck:

Smitty
I can vouch for this.

Smitty
So for someone like me who is not relishing the idea of doling out $1,000 for a RDL, would you say that this is a close second, or right up there with the Russell as far as comfort?

I don't think you are looking at quite $1000 for the Russell. Unless you are going all leather, custom fitting both seats and using Next Day Air shipping both ways.

The Laam is significantly cheaper than the Russell but shipping costs the same to get the seat pans to them. Of course Seth ships them back for free.

So for someone like me who is not relishing the idea of doling out $1,000 for a RDL, would you say that this is a close second, or right up there with the Russell as far as comfort?

I have been a Russell guy for years. I hope this seat is as good in hot weather as it is in the cold. I would love to do a 500-600 mile day just to be sure it would work for a LD seat but work and weather getting in the way. I think most guys would be happy riding 500 miles a day. I think most riders don't ride more than that.

I think its a great choice...

Smitty

I don't think you are looking at quite $1000 for the Russell. Unless you are going all leather, custom fitting both seats and using Next Day Air shipping both ways.
The Laam is significantly cheaper than the Russell but shipping costs the same to get the seat pans to them. Of course Seth ships them back for free.
I believe that if you only have the front seat done, the Russell is only about $50 more than the Laam, although the Laam is for both halves :)

Here is the thing I'm still waiting for ... An LD Rider, or two, to cover the kind of mileages that we expect to remain comfortable on the Russell. I mean multiple 1000 mile days, or a BBG3000 or Trifecta. Only when we get those data-points starting to come in will we know.

Right now, Laam is looking good, by all reports, up to around 700 miles in a day. That's not insignificant, but it isn't what the LD Riders need to hear.

On the other hand, for riders who are normal, the Laam is beginning to build a very good reputation for most riders. There will be further developments, and I'm looking forward to reading about them.

Forthcoming review on mine, UncleHud. (Couldn't get quote function to work, for some reason). Electrical farkeling in progress. Fuzeblock, radar, Clearwater Kristas, PIAA horns, a voltage minder, seat wiring and an extra USB port or two. Mostly done, but waiting on a PMR components switch gang to arrive to button things back up.

Glad you're liking yours so far!

It wont be $1000. I got full leather, dual custom seats from Russell for just under $800. I guess you could add stuff like back rests and heat and get it to a grand, but that isn't for the seat.

I have been a Russell guy for years. I hope this seat is as good in hot weather as it is in the cold.
This is a great point that isn't often recognized when talking seat comfort. All seats will feel more comfortable when you are bundled up like the Michelin Man. The true test is when you have minimal riding gear between your backside an the saddle.

Nice looking seat(s), has me thinking. Then I must decide between a lama seat or a GIVI top case, ah the tough quandaries we face.
Personally, I wouldn't even bother having a Givi (or any other brand) trunk, unless I was riding two-up. Which I do, quite often, so that then becomes a requirement at that point, not just something nice to have.

On the other hand, for riders who are normal, the Laam is beginning to build a very good reputation for most riders. There will be further developments, and I'm looking forward to reading about them.
Understanding you have a problem is the first step Twigg! I think you're onto something that riding 3000 miles in 3-days is not "normal".