New seat.. I'm on the Laam..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand, for riders who are normal, the Laam is beginning to build a very good reputation for most riders. There will be further developments, and I'm looking forward to reading about them.
Understanding you have a problem is the first step Twigg! I think you're onto something that riding 3000 miles in 3-days is not "normal".
Yea...I think Seth is going after the majority of riders...not necessarily the (minority) LD guys.

We really, really like our LAAM. We have not had time to do a longer ride on it as of yet, but have done a couple of 300 mile days so far. Much, much more comfortable than stock and there is no comparison there! BTW - if you like LAAM on FB you can get an extra 5% from what I remember. I took care of the return shipping on mine since I have a UPS Campus Shipping account, so I did not have that expense. Still, total cost WITH leather was only $453 for both seats.

20140921_132021_zps0cb6d855.jpg

We really, really like our LAAM. We have not had time to do a longer ride on it as of yet, but have done a couple of 300 mile days so far. Much, much more comfortable than stock and there is no comparison there! BTW - if you like LAAM on FB you can get an extra 5% from what I remember. I took care of the return shipping on mine since I have a UPS Campus Shipping account, so I did not have that expense. Still, total cost WITH leather was only $453 for both seats.
How does this 5% discount work? Click on 'LIKE' on his facebook and then tell him in the order?

How does he know who clicked on LIKE or not? (I'm not a facebook person)

Thanks.

How does this 5% discount work? Click on 'LIKE' on his facebook and then tell him in the order?

Thanks.
Seth just told me to "Like" him on FB. I don't use FB to be honest, but the wife does. I then told him that we had done so and he then included the discount for the invoice.

Thanks.
Seth just told me to "Like" him on FB. I don't use FB to be honest, but the wife does. I then told him that we had done so and he then included the discount for the invoice.
Got it. Thanks. Didn't know this when I sent in the order form this morning on his web site. I'll tell him when he calls.

RIght, Joe, but that wasn't my point
smile.png

My point was that the Laam appears to be a decent alternative to Russell for "most" riders, but I was curious if it would be a decent alternative for LD riding.

So many statements saying that the "Laam is a great seat", which indeed it may be, but "great" for what?

Others, now and later, will read this thread and I'd hate them to spend $400 only to be disappointed 1500 miles from home!

ps ... I'm ignoring Tom :D ... because I am a "nromal" rider, just more normal than some others is all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone "want to be, or thinks they are a LD rider". But I would bet for most guys a 400-500 mile day is a average day for most or less. I have had 7 Russell's built for me. Only one was the "Perfect" seat. And that one was on my DL1000 Vstrom. The rest were okay, but not perfect even after "adjustments".

I think the Laam will work for most, maybe not all But this is America and we have choice's.

Time will tell, Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect seat?? I doubt there is such a thing. I suspect it is more the human seat (ass) than the motorcycle seat. Many variables can affect comfort. Even that comfortable LazyBoy chair can become uncomfortable if you sit in it all day long. I tried it once!!!

Perfect seat?? I doubt there is such a thing. I suspect it is more the human seat (ass) than the motorcycle seat. Many variables can affect comfort. Even that comfortable LazyBoy chair can become uncomfortable if you sit in it all day long. I tried it once!!!
The seat for my Vstrom "was" the perfect seat for me. Hot or cold, rain or shine that seat was just spot on. If it wasn't for needing fuel or to take a leak I would never get off that bike/seat.

Yes, there are perfect seats. You just have to be really lucky to have one.. Hope to have another someday..

Smitty

I've only ridden a few miles on a Russell belonging to my buddy and of course it wasn't custom built for me. I didn't care for the height and seating position (I know many swear by these seats and seats are personal choices).

I've put about 10,000 miles on a Sargent performance plus and about 6,000 on a Laam. I'm 225 and 5'9" with 30" inseam.

Comfort-wise they are both pretty equal for the rider. The Laam is more neutral seating, as it was custom made (had it adjusted once as I was sliding into the tank a bit; Seth did the adjustment right away). The Sargent has a bit more of a pocket to the rear and I really like the performance plus material as it keeps me in position. The Sargent is also a bit lower.

Comfort-wise for the passenger, my wife prefers the Laam. The Laam is maxed out for width on the passenger seat and is shaped better to avoid chaffing on the inner thighs.

I can ride 300 miles on either before I notice any discomfort starting and have done numerous 400+ days. Can't even to begin guessing at a 1000 mile day!

Both seats are very aesthetically pleasing (IMHO) and are leaps and bounds better than a stock seat which is a "ball crusher" for me. I hate the constant sliding into the tank with a stock seat.

I'd recommend both of these seats. Both companies provided me excellent service. The Laam is more economical by $100+ and Seth does give it his all to ensure you get what you want.

Further to my last, part of the price difference is that Sargent comes pre-built and includes both seat pans. The Laam requires seat pans to be provided.

And Sargent does have a sale once or twice a year of you're interested in one of their seats; usually around this time of the year.

I have not had a custom seat on any of my past or current FJR's. Over the years I have used an AirHawk cushion for LD riding. If it were not for the fact the stock seat tends to work me forward into the tank, I would be satisfied with what I have. I sent Seth an email asking when is the best time to ride up to his shop and have a seat fitted.

I have not had a custom seat on any of my past or current FJR's. Over the years I have used an AirHawk cushion for LD riding. If it were not for the fact the stock seat tends to work me forward into the tank, I would be satisfied with what I have. I sent Seth an email asking when is the best time to ride up to his shop and have a seat fitted.
Seth's record of responding to emails isn't very good, the best way to contact him is by phone around 7AM.

I have around 3,500 miles on my Laam seat, including a 1,900 mile trip with an 825 mile day. The Laam seat is the best I've experienced, including a Sargent and a Mayer on past bikes. I can ride about twice as far as I could on any previous seat before any discomfort. Seth was responsive, and delivered exactly when he said he would. I'm very satisfied. I'll be doing an Iron Butt in the spring, and I have no concern about the comfort of the seat.

I tried to get a LAAM seat in about February or March of this year. Pretty much just got blown off. Called 2x and emailed once. I waited around thinking he would get back to me and then the season started. I've had no issues with the stock seat however I'm not a LD hero like some on here. Most I do on road trips is about 500-600 a day. Maybe I've just learned to deal with it and don't know what I'm missing. Anyways, I just recently sent my info in for a RDL. Seems like they have a better system. I've got a build date set for 1/15/15. I rode my buddy's FJR that has a RDL. Seemed nice although it was a little bit taller. I'm sure I could get used to it. Seats, like everything else are subjective.

Redfish, I also tell FJR owners I meet to join this forum. Amazing the wealth of information on here. I'm kinda surprised that some FJR riders have never heard of it. I've learned a lot about farkles and working on my bike through this place. I thank you all.