New Softer Hand Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR1300

Reaction score
Hi all....

Looking to swap the stock harder grips for softer ones.

Anyone chnaged their grips? Which ones fit well??

I've used PRO-GRIP 714's on my bikes before, they're actually dirt bike grips but fit pretty well.

Grip Puppies for me.
smile.png

BMW grips. I moved from Pro-Grip's with Grip Puppies to the BMW grips and haven't looked back...I really like the feel of them.

Grip Puppies. Not to be confused with all who seem to like the Grip Buddies.

Grip Puppies over your stock grips are all that is needed. As a tip use air to blow them over the grips and it is a 1 minuet thing to do. Try it with soap and water and good luck.

Sorry but Grip Puppies win IMHO, nothing like them, and comfort is second to none.

Grip Puppies. Not to be confused with all who seem to like the Grip Buddies.
Grip Puppies over your stock grips are all that is needed. As a tip use air to blow them over the grips and it is a 1 minuet thing to do. Try it with soap and water and good luck.

Sorry but Grip Puppies win IMHO, nothing like them, and comfort is second to none.
+1

Best place to get them has always been casporttouring.com for about $10 shipped. Get size small.

Just bought some GRAB ON Grip Covers at a dealer.

They slip over the existing grips like the others do, cost $13.99

Haven't put em on yet, says to use hairspray.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm prolly the only one but I rotate my OEM grips one yr then replace them the next. I've tried the BMWs, the Puppies and several other things. But I've found that no matter how many miles I ride with them they're just too large for me and make my forearms and elbows ache. Every time I go back to the smaller OEMs my discomfort goes away. Of course YMMV but I like the smaller hard ones over the larger squishy ones
rolleyes.gif

edit: I've been using hairspray with grips for at least 2 decades, hasn't let me down yet. Clean both surfaces with a little alcohol first. The wife's White Rain works great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I went with the Grip Puppies as well. I have the 2012 & they don't cause any problem with the stock heated grips. Put them on with a bit of soap and water.

Dennis

FJR vibration gave me numb hands so on recommendation I installed Grip Puppies. End of problem.

Seems to be many options here. For the past several years I have been using the Johar ribed foam grips. They are inexpensive, easy to install and have a tapered shape that seems to help relieve the palm discomfort.

Grip Puppies on my last 4 motorcycles. My first time, the foam Grip Puppies were mostly a workaround for vibe issues on that particular bike, but I really liked the larger palm area that made it easier for me to rest my hands on every bike since.

FWIW, I have big large palms and medium fingers. A BMW size 9 glove is a perfect fit once the palm has stretched a bit.

what's the BMW part number for the grips that fi the FJR? Are these ribbed ones also the tapered ones?

My big ol' squishy GT grips are starting to degrade after 5 years and they haven't made any in years :(