New toy arrived: Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
2246918249_36bd2b2dc6.jpg

Yesterday this arrived at my home. I've spent the last several weeks obsessing and generally turning myself inside out over buying it: am I worth it, I'm I good enough, how many motorcycles can a guy have, all that sort of nonsense. Finally, my wife weighed in with some version of . . . "It's just a friggin motorcycle. No need for an existential crisis here. Just buy it. It's not like you'll own it forever. If you do, that's fine. If not, you'll just sell it and buy another one." Sigh. The only caveat was that it might be good to get rid of some of the other bikes to make room in our cramped garage (got a lovely SV1000S with all the right farkles for sale btw as well as a knock around 2003 Kawi zr-7s if you're interested).

Well, today the Sun Gods smiled just a bit and I took out my brandy new 2007 Factory for its maiden voyage (an entire 68 miles). I offer this up for posterity . . .

The bike is intimidating as shit for several reasons . . .

• It's just drop dead stunning sitting there all black and gold and shinny. Yeah, it's supposed to be ridden, but it's just so freaking gorgeous. It will never again be this new, this clean, this pristine, this virginal.
  • The tires are new and presumably still in their native ball-bearing state.
  • The weather has been snotty as can be for the past week, so the roads will be in unknown shape.
  • It's cold out, which means there's the potential for some black ice.
  • it's a new bike.

Before doing anything I fitted a Gerbings wire to the battery so I could wear heated gear. As it turns out, a good move. It's high 30s (f) to low 40s.

The bike gargles and sparks right away. It fast idles just a bit and then settles in to what is for me a familiar big twin sound. I've had a Ducati and a Suzuki. It's a similar sound, but different. The folks on the forums call it brat brat or brap brap. It's close enough. You can definitely tell there are a lot of mechanical bits in there all waiting semi-patiently to get with it.

Finally I'm sitting on it. Feels good. Very compact and thin through the middle. It's smallish in comparison to my FJR, so there's definitely a feeling of being perched on top.

The controls are just marvelous, even this new. Clutch pull is smooth, progressive, and light. The transmission is snickety snick. I pull out of the garage and head down the hill. Shit. Where are the pegs? Oh, waaaaaay up there. Getting folded in, particularly given all the kit I have on is a trick and a panic at first.

The weather is looking snotty and I'm not thrilled about that as I motor through town towards the fwy. The mirrors are in the time honored tradition of Italian bikes . . . completely useless. "What's behind you doesn't matter." A bit nerve wracking now that I've got .7 miles under the wheels and I'm still in traffic.

I finally squirt up onto the fwy and head towards the floating bridge with the intention of finding some back roads. I'm not keen on anything too technical. More interested in running up and down through the gears and banking this way and that.

At speed the bike is rock solid, though there is very little wind protection. I have a double bubble screen on order as there is simply no way I can get out of the airflow.

Working up and down through the gears, the bike surges along, pulling cleanly from about 1800 rpm. I have no desire to boot it out of respect for the weather, tires, rider, and bike. Five miles in and my initial trepidations are pretty much gone. The priller is a freeway ace, though clearly not a long distance eater.

I finally get off the slab an onto secondary roads. The weather is holding but there's lots of traffic and construction. I was afraid that the bike was going to be dreadfully uncomfortable given the extreme drop of the clip ons the the longish reach. It's not cruiser like but it's certainly not a killer either. All in, I'll be on the bike about 90 minutes and it's just fine. Nothing went to sleep on me.

About 30 miles in I finally hit some proper back roads with no traffic. I hit the rev limited once (set at 8k for break in) but other wise don't give it the boot. I do find myself gaining confidence as I work the bike between 40 and about 75 . . . keeping an eye peeled for Leo.

Up ahead is a turn marked for 30 mph. I figure I can probably take it at 70 . . . some other time. I set the bike towards the right (it's going left) and move my body down and to the inside. At what I judge to be the turn in point I release the pressure on the outside bar. Zooosh. The priller dives across the corner like the ace it is. I'm off the bike more than I need to be and in some danger of heading off the inside of the turn. Yeeeeehaaa. Next time I'll pick a later turn in point.

Still wary of the new tires and all the rest, I keep my pace very much in hand . . . no big speeds, no apex clipping. First day, first ride. We're just having a hello and a cuppa tea here.

A couple of cars up ahead with open road beyond. I don't even bother to shift down. I'm running at about 4k. I just roll on and around the cars I go. More buffeting than I'm expecting so I find myself a bit crossed up as I grab hold, try to tuck in, and find that infernal shifter as the limiter light flashes at me. Some yoga will help!

Back on the motorway heading back to town. The Gerbings are pumping as it's cold and raw. The wind is forcing me to stay low as I can on the tank. I do find that I can move around on the bike enough to keep my creaky limbs awake and uncomplaining.

Back home and off the bike . . . crap. My textile gear have worked out the paint on the tank pretty good. I have some miracle fixer stuff from Novus, so I work some cream into the marks until the tank is back to its shinny black state. Upstairs later I find a film that can be applied to the top of the tank to protect the paint. Also have some grip pads for the side and a full compliment of sliders coming.

So what's the verdict?

• Well, I got over the intimidation factor pretty quick. There is no doubt this bike offers a level of performance unlike anything else I've ridden. Particularly in the twisty stuff. Having said that, it is a very easy bike to ride at 4/10s. It's smooth, planted, and up to the task. It will be tits on the track.
  • I've done nothing to the suspenders but it feels nearly perfect from the factory. For the street, I may dial out a touch of damping. I haven't set the sag yet, but i'll be surprised if it's not bang on.
  • I can't tell how hard it pulls yet for all the reasons I've already recited. But the engine, even with less than 100 miles on it feels stump-strong.
  • The ergos are quite closed up, but I didn't buy the priller to tour on. Importantly, my wrists and shoulders survived just fine.
  • It is just stunning to look at. I stopped and snapped a couple of pics. There is a part of me that can't believe I'm going to run it on the track, but as my wife points out, "it's just a motorcycle."

So that's what I know so far.

Cheers

2249538738_128a974c40.jpg

Good colors, sweet machine. A good friend has a Tuono with a factory racing exhaust. EVERYBODY knows how sweet it sounds. I really like to ride that bike, been trying to get him to put me in his will for the bike only.

Your wife actually LET you get an Italian mistress?? Does she have a sister??

She does, but I don't think you want her. I got the good one by a looooooonnnnnnnng way. :rolleyes: Trust me when I tell you, she'll get it back some other way.

Beautiful bike & great write up! Sure wish there was a 'prilla dealership around here so I could :dribble: Look forward to more interesting riding tales as you break her in.

Wow - That is not just a motorcycle! It is a rolling piece of fine Italian art work. Absolutely gorgeous. :clapping:

Can you ride it to NAFO so we can all take it for a spin?

Congratulations on scoring this beauty. Will be interested to hear what you think of it, in comparison to the Ducati.

Dude, I would for now just mount that jewel on a pedestal right next to the big screen in the living room and gaze upon it and marvel until maybe the weather clears up a bit. Uh, might want to make a pedestal for the wife too while your at it......and did I say, that bike rocks big time.....ya baby. Congratulations! PM. <>< :yahoo: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth be told, the exhausts don't really go with the rest of the bike styling... it needs some carbon fiber blacked out Remus pipes or something...

Course, that's like telling a super model she has a chipped toenail...

sigh................................something else to lust after.

Congratulations. Enjoy.

You look tall sitting on the bike. I'm 6'3" and think I wouldn't be able to fold myself on it, but I'd like to try.