Oh Canada EH! 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This part of the road is on the Indian Res.

35437367_10156159113220325_6877876940376637440_n.jpg

This part of the road is on the Indian Res.
Yup... and they are not real motivated to pave the road to a federal park... ;) Plus from what one of the hotel staff was telling us, it's really expensive to fix and try to keep up with it. I say just take all the pavement out and make it dirt!! :lol:

Glass of wine at the resort. Nice! I would be tempted to park it for a few days. Excellent photo's you two.
Now that ^^^^ looks like something I could get used to!
~G
Jay & G - c'mon up... we're staying an extra day since weather looks to be crappy tomorrow... this is a really nice resort and not too pricey for the area, the digs we got, and it's during the week so prices are cheaper... B)

deang, they could have known each other, Bonners not that big a place.

When I was up there when my mom died, I met an old guy that knew the family.

I went to the bar to get away for awhile. Old guy heard me on the phone, you Rae's boy?

Asked him about the Grandpa story with the mountain lion. Grandpa and his buddy caught a mountain lion,

put it in a burlap sack and poured grain alcohol down it's throat. They took it to the tavern and said they were

drinking for free or they were letting it loose. He told me his dad was grandpa's buddy. Bad ass Lumberjacks.

Legend confirmed, awesome.

Thursday, June 14 / Friday, June 15

Thursday was a chill day given we’d been going pretty hard for a few days… we both got massages (heaven!) and have been staying at the Solara Resort which is fantastic… Thursday night we attended a concert by Serena Ryder who has two new fans… it was a great night!

Friday we were supposed to head out along the Icefields Pkwy but the weather reports were not looking very good (rain/snow!) so we decided to stay an extra night in Canmore at the resort (oh darn)… I got another massage, Lydia headed into Banff for a looksee, and we did some Planning for the next day… really nice and relaxing stay.

Saturday, June 16

The letter for the day is “S”

Stupendous

Spectacular

Sensational

Splendid

Striking

Stunning

Yeah it was that kind of day… started out in rain from Canmore but as we ventured forth along the Icefields Pkwy, one of the main reasons for this tr, the weather gods were working in our favor and, OH MY, what a day it was… the road itself isn’t particularly technical but it is a challenge to keep your focus on the road because of the amazing sights that abound…

And we walked on a glacier… a fricking GLACIER!!

It was a long day and we arrived at our AirBnb in Valemount around 8:30 pm, grabbed a really great dinner at the Best Western restaurant nearby, and then fell into bed with visions of sugarplums and glaciers in our dreams… my friends, whatever your dreams are, go make them happen… however you can. <3

Lake Louise and me…

Yes.. the water really is that color…

We asked to sit outside and staff seemed perplexed... with a view like that, who wouldn't want to be out there?

Somewhere along the Icefields Pkwy…

Sybil was very popular with the tourists…

Peyto (pronounced Pee-tow) Lake... signage for the lake was missing but GPS to the rescue and we found it... did you notice that the lake is shaped like a dog's head??

Yes.. we walked on a glacier!!

The climb up the 33 degree unpaved road to get out to/back from Athabasca Glacier!

View from the Skywalk…

Skywalk…

980 meters above the ground!

Columbia Icefield…

Lydia on Icefields Pkwy…

Wildlife sighting for the day…

Sounds like an awesome trip! Being "stuck" in a nice resort with a (few) full wine glass for an extra day or two doesn't sound too bad to me!

Keep the reports coming
smile.png

I hope you looked in your rear view mirror and saw this when you left Jasper for Vale mount!

DSCN5116.jpg

Would like to see the picture you could take as you take beautiful pictures!

I guess I'll have to look for that Skywalk sometime.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

We awoke gently at about 6:30am… we had made a reservation to take the Jasper Tram at 9:48am and figured if we left by 7:45am, we’d have ample time… that is until we realized that Jasper is an hour ahead… AAAAGGGHHHHHH!!! You would all have been impressed at the efficiency of two women to get up, get geared up, and hit the road in about 15 minutes… we arrived for our tour with 10 minutes to spare… WHEW!!

The tram ride up to the top of the mountain was worth it… fabulous views of the mountains and valleys surrounding Jasper including a sighting of Mount Robson which, from many of the locals, was scarce for viewing because it’s usually in the clouds… it was a gorgeous day and we visited some rivers and lakes around Jasper and on the way heading back to Valemount for dinner and route planning for the next few days…

Lydia will start heading for Utah/home tomorrow and I’ll continue to visit friends in Lake Oyama and then a gathering in Nakusp… it has been a treat to share this part of the journey with such a wonderful friend and travel companion… <3

Proof positive…

I could sit here for a while and enjoy that view…

Jasper Sky Tram…

Mount Robson is the pointy peak on the left… locals said you can’t see it very often so we lucked out!

View from the top of the Jasper Sky Tram…

Lydia at Patricia Lake…

Pyramid Lake…

Cool rock formation…

Moose Lake…

On the way back to Valemount…

Our AirBnB in Valemount… we had the run of the bottom floor…

The shower at our AirBnB… took us a little while how to turn the dang thing on!!

Sunset in Valemount….

Hey Tyler:

The picture of your friend with Patricia Lake in the background show LOTS of dead trees.

Did the locals have anything to say about that??

Kinda' looks like the Central Sierra Nevada directly east of me...

Brian

Hey Tyler: The picture of your friend with Patricia Lake in the background show LOTS of dead trees. Did the locals have anything to say about that?? Kinda' looks like the Central Sierra Nevada directly east of me... Brian
I would bet on beatles. Pretty widespread in some areas up north.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tyler: The picture of your friend with Patricia Lake in the background show LOTS of dead trees. Did the locals have anything to say about that?? Kinda' looks like the Central Sierra Nevada directly east of me... Brian
Exactly the same happens in Greece and around Europe.This problem caused from a fungus.''In few cases and from an insect''

Τhis fungus sucks the juices of the trees and after a while the tree dies.It is very duficult to kill this fungus..

The best thing that they can do is to cut the dead trees and take away them from the healthy trees because the dead trees can very easy transfers this fungus to the healthy trees.In the most cases they didn't it at the begin when the problem was in a small area so the problem got worse as you can see in the pictures...

Last edited by a moderator: