Oh Canada EH! 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tyler: The picture of your friend with Patricia Lake in the background show LOTS of dead trees. Did the locals have anything to say about that?? Kinda' looks like the Central Sierra Nevada directly east of me... Brian
I would bet on beatles. Pretty widespread in some areas up north.
It was beetles (not the Beatles cause they created some pretty cool music that didn't kill any trees to my knowledge... ;) lol) that infected the trees and sucked all the nutrients out of them. Circle of life.

Monday, June 18 / Tuesday, June 19 / Wednesday, June 20

Monday morning… Lydia headed out on her own… kinda weird to hit the road solo without her… left Valemount and headed for Dave & Sylvia’s place in Lake Oyama… not a lot of photos as there was a lot of traffic and I managed to get around the string of slow vehicles and didn’t want to get caught behind them again… 97 is a busy road! Arrived and was greeted with big hugs, a nice shower (was hot today!), and a home cooked meal, and great night’s sleep. So grateful for their hospitality!!

Tuesday I headed for Banner Recreation after calling them and batting my eyelashes verbally over the phone to get my front tires replaced… not sure how tires all of sudden wear out but they did and the shop came through for me… I rewarded them with chocolate and cookies as a thank you for fitting me in.

Wednesday, met up with Barb and Kim as they rode topless (convertible, people! ;) lol) with me… mostly along 6, over Monashee Pass, took the ferry to Fauquier, and then 6 into Nakusp where we were treated to quite the thunderstorm that included a fantastic double rainbow out the dining room window as we ate dinner… good day! More folks will be rolling in tomorrow and more fun will be had… :D

Leaving Valemount…

Somewhere along 97 toward Lake Country…

Geese on the lake…

Hummingbirds on the deck… always good luck!

I just liked the reflections on the water… very peaceful and soothing…

I grew up with a weeping willow in my front yard... this brought back good childhood memories...

Barb and Kim going topless… :D

Ferry to Fauquier…

View from the ferry… luckily we were headed the other way but the storm caught up to us in Nakusp and luckily we were all nice and comfy in the hotel restaurant for dinner…

Rainbow after the thunderstorm in Nakusp…

This guy was totally stoked about this storm and rainbow… he saw me taking pics and said, “Hey, do you want to take a photo of me??” So I did… :lol:

Tyler, clear out your inbox...
whistle.gif
No new messages allowed...
Yes dear...
flirt.gif

Thursday, June 21, 2018

After a nice night’s sleep, I headed out solo to meet up with a few folks heading up from WA and we met for an early lunch in Castlegar at the Black Rooster… roads were empty and the weather was perfectly cool… I entertained my photo bug on the way down of course… absolutely stunning scenery and I was in the groove…

Then we all started heading for Nakusp and met up with more folks on their way in at a turnout on BC 6… hugs, chit chat, photo opps and then high tailed it to the hotel where lots of folks were pulling in and the socializing and tire kicking began… great start to the gathering!
biggrin.png

Views along BC 6…

Lunch in Castlegar and fun with a big black… ROOSTER!
biggrin.png

Let’s goooooo!!!

Meeting up with more of the crew…

Who da man? dcarver da man!
wink.png

Group shot at the rest stop…

Socializing at the hotel… Phil & Charlene / weluvbikn

Sam / nightshine…

Terrie+Mike / Hycle and Cindy+Gary / gfran...

36051146_10156181889985325_6063873319436812288_o.jpg

SQUID ALERT!!!

Cute church next to the hotel… don’t think they’ll see many of us in there on Sunday morning…
wink.png

And so it begins…

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday, June 22, 2018

The forecast a couple of weeks out had been really hot… then it was gonna be sunny and warm… then partly cloudy and cool… what we ended up with was rain… but y’know what? We made lemonade… great breakfast to start the day at the Broadway Cafe and was able to commandeer Dave & Sylvia’s car so a group of us headed for Halcyon Hot Springs and did some sightseeing along the way… really dramatic scenery with the clouds and such… we soaked until we were pruned up enough and then headed back to the hotel for the Meet & Greet and lots of socializing there and in the parking lot… it is possible to have fun off the bikes! ;)

My partners in hot springs crime for the day…

Halcyon Hot Springs… heaven!

Waterfalls right at the rest stop on the side of the road!

Views on the way out to Nakusp Hot Springs…

Friday evening meet & greet…

Dave’s happy to see me… I think…

Even SkooterG made an appearance!

Tim/madmudder… I have no idea what was going on here…

dcarver looking like the cat that caught the canary…

Big smiles…

Steve/bluestreek being serious again…

Some of the Canucks…

PNW boys…

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Was supposed to clear up but when we woke up, it was wet again… so again, another nice breakfast and then some suited up and headed out for drier parts… I was in relaxation mode and knew I had some big days ahead so decided to hang around Nakusp and experience the lake walk, gardens, and town residents… this is a really cool town and we were saying it would be a great location to have a place to stay… lovely people there too!

That evening was the group dinner served by the ladies of the Royal Canadian Legion which was wonderful and an added bonus was the donation announcing the Nakusp Food Bank… I love that we can participate in these great events and give back to the neighborhoods that we’re in… :D

More fun in the parking lot, lots of laughter and general frivolity… can’t believe that tomorrow we will all be heading out but as it’s been said, don’t be sad that it’s over… be joyful that it happened! <3

Don’t think I would ever tire of this view if I lived there…

Gardens along the lake walk that are tended to by the community…

Street music… they were pretty good!

Cool plant that caught the rain in its leaves like little bowls…

Being watched by Steve/bluestreek…

Patiently waiting for the group photo in the shade…

Group photo…

Mary Ellen/MEM…

Doug said he was fond of little fairies so he got one from Rich/NorCalFJR…

The Spyder calls them to check it out…

Dave/fastjoyride, our intrepid rally master…

MadMike looking FABulous…

CraigRegs was enamored with the blueberry pastry… by the time I got to the dessert table it was all gone!

Dave/Hudson doing his best Risky Business impersonation…

SacMike got his free map from FJRay…

Dinner time… it was delicious!

John multi-tasking with Josh…

Lots of smiles in the parking lot…

Sunday, June 24, 2018

A beautiful morning as I headed out solo for Montana after lots of hugs and a few tears (Barb)… took 31A to Kaslo which is a fantastic moto road with beautiful sights and vistas… then 3 to the ferry where I bumped into Don Carver and we shared the crossing together…

Made it across the border without incident and then traversed Hwy 2 again including 15 miles of some sucky road work and alighted in Somers, MT at a fantastic abode for the evening, The Outlook Inn B&B… if you’re out this way, you should definitely plan a stay here… :D

Views along 31A…

Came across Ray & Jeff and managed to catch Jeff as he headed off while I was taking pics…

Views along 3…

Look who I found!

Other ferry passing us as we swapped stops…

View from my room at Outlook Inn B&B…

I wanted to steal this pillow… ;)

Yes I booked myself in the Honeymoon Suite… most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in on the road… did not want to get out of it the next morning!

Sunset over the lake as I sat on the patio and enjoyed the peaceful evening before hitting the sack…

Monday, June 25, 2018

Word for the day: THANKFUL

I received a text from my friend, Audrey, saying, Happy “I’m glad you’re still here” day and I realized t was approximately nine years ago the The Event happened… and here I was out on the road experiencing the world and all of the spirits in it… pretty special day.

Really didn’t want to get out of bed this morning… so comfy and probably the best night’s sleep I’ve had in awhile… packed up the bike and mosied upstairs for a stellar breakfast before heading off to Glacier NP… Going to the Sun Road had opened all the way about two days prior and it was positively spectacular… I had visited in 2012 and it didn’t disappoint on this visit either… traffic wasn’t too bad imo and I was able to find parking in all of the pull outs to get pics… had a few eye-leaking moments while witnessing the spectacle before me… so grateful for the day and thinking of the many spirits in my life that worked so hard to make it possible for this to happen… thank you. <3

After the park, I headed over some great roads courtesy of friend, Kevin Huddy… outraced a pretty spectacular storm and arrived at their house to share a wonderful dinner, some chit chat with friends, great home cooked meal, and a good night’s rest…

A colorful start to the day…

Views in Glacier National Park… just stunning!

The Weeping Wall…

On the way to Kevin’s…

Colorful fields…

Roadside memorial on Flesher Pass…

Mama and her babies…

Arriving at the ranch…

The storm came in and winds kicked up… it was pretty invigorating!

The calm after the storm…

Tuesday/Wendesday, June 26/27, 2018

Had breakfast with the boys and then headed out off on my own toward Powell, WY, where I would meet up with more friends… a stellar day with cool temps, blue skies dotted with energetic clouds… arrived in Powell, set up in the hotel, and then to Dorothy’s house for an amazing home cooked meal…

Wednesday was an off the bike day… slept in a bit, had a great breakfast at a little hole in the wall cafe, and then headed over to Dorothy’s where the technical crew addressed some issues with my bike… seems some bolts fell out causing a crack in on of the supports which led to the rear fender bouncing around all over the place… they MacGuyer’ed some fixes (fascinating watching them work it out) and I think I should be able to make it back home in one piece (fingers crossed)… hung out at The Church, another fantastic home cooked dinner, more chit chat, and in to bed by 10pm… remember the days when we used to stay up until 1am? Yeah… me neither. ;)

Kevin’s shop is immaculate!

Breakfast with the boys before everyone headed off…

Wide open roads and big skies…

Big field of lupine…

What’choo lookin’ at?

Everyone arriving in Powell…

Hanging out in the backyard… really lovely evening…

Local transport… riding in the back of a pick up truck, no seat belts, and a case of beer in the back… good times!

MacGyvering a temporary fix on the rear fender… somehow bolts fell out and support brackets broke so they shored it up with a hand made bracket and some industrial strength zip ties…

Sunset in Powell…

And moon rise in the other direction…