oil pan leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
has any one removed and changed the oil pan gasket? I do have the service manual (page 5.59). How much of a job is it? Any how to's? Pictures? I have a small leak that I just detected today after coming back from a spin. When the bike cooled down there was a very small paddle of oil that I traced up to the edges of the oil pan. I am going to the gp races this sat! Not good! Bike is 32,000mi

Cheers

Luis

has any one removed and changed the oil pan gasket? I do have the service manual (page 5.59). How much of a job is it? Any how to's? Pictures? I have a small leak that I just detected today after coming back from a spin. When the bike cooled down there was a very small paddle of oil that I traced up to the edges of the oil pan. I am going to the gp races this sat! Not good! Bike is 32,000mi

Cheers

Luis
I have never done it but I think I would start by re-torquing all of the bolts that hold it in place.

Cheers

Luis
I have never done it but I think I would start by re-torquing all of the bolts that hold it in place.
+1

I have, it wasnt too bad. Remove the plastic, header then the pan. I used new header gaskets and it would have been nice to have a 2nd set of hands to line up the header. The hard part was finding the pan gasket if I remember.

It's easy. The hardest part was getting the header pipes on and off. You can do it without draining the radiator by loosening the mounts so you can push the raditor around while getting at the header bolts. Don't forget new gaskets for the header pipes.

pay attention to which holes the bolts in the oil pan come from. They are different lengths. The gasket is metal.