Ok, do you "fast shift" or "slow shift"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shift 55 times a minute...
I wasn't aware that CVTs were available for FJRs
smile.png
There's a back story to this. Suffice to say, bringing it up in this thread made me smile more than the OP of it did originally.

From reading this thread I have learned that some of you guys are shiftless. I'm not surprised.
no.gif

I appreciate the fact that some guys love to talk about this stuff. I am not one of them, but in the spirit of tolerance, understanding and gained knowledge, I read the whole 4 pages. . . Carry on gentlemen.
Yeah, but the first page and a half were jokes.

For real, though, if it ever gets above 45F here again, I'm gonna try CA G-Man's clutchless shift technique in post #62.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit slower on 2nd and 4th with the current ride. Bending those on my first FJR resonated, even though Yamaha covered the repair cost.

I'm also more careful these days, but still love to lift the front, and accelerate when appropriate through the gears.

Regarding clutchless upshifting, then you'll know when it's being done wrong. The upshifts, when properly executed, should slip through with minimal resistance.

^^^^Thank God!!

Oh, and I'm going to get some stickers made up that say, "55 times a minute!" People will have to figure it out.

^^^^Thank God!!
Oh, and I'm going to get some stickers made up that say, "55 times a minute!" People will have to figure it out.
I have a feeling in my water that the origin of this was actually 55 times per second. Bounce can probably remember. After all, changing gear at a rate slower than once per second is easy enough even for those old-fashioned manually operated variants, so hardly worthy of note. Let alone the exit of a member.

BakerBoy, Thanks for that suggestion. I will try second first and then into first. Normally I do a series of down shifts coming to a stop. I'll try stopping while in second and then into first at rest. If that doesn't work I'll try neutral into second and down to first.

.....and there was a driveway involved.....we won't name that driveway. Best left unsaid.

How did I post without voting?

.....and there was a driveway involved.....we won't name that driveway. Best left unsaid.

How did I post without voting?
Perhaps, like mine at home, your vote doesn't count.

At least here you get to post an opinion.

BakerBoy, Thanks for that suggestion. I will try second first and then into first. Normally I do a series of down shifts coming to a stop. I'll try stopping while in second and then into first at rest. If that doesn't work I'll try neutral into second and down to first.
I just downshift and, as I get it slow enough, 1st comes without effort. I never try shifting while stopped because it sometimes seems "forced".

I just downshift and, as I get it slow enough, 1st comes without effort. I never try shifting while stopped because it sometimes seems "forced".
Same here. It slides into low much easier if moving. I virtually never come to a stop in anything other than low gear. And if I do, I screwed up.
uhoh.gif

If I understood BakerBoy correctly, he was suggesting trying second then low to avoid the clunk when going from neutral to low at a stop.

I think you are correct.

My 1st gen always gave me a spine shivering Kerchunk! with the first shift into gear from neutral. But, the bike ran flawlessly for 100k miles and is still going strong, so I didn't let it bother me. I soon got into the habit of only starting the bike in neutral when stone cold. The rest of the day I would start it in gear (with the clutch in, doh!) and it would never Kerchunk.

I was pleasantly surprised than my new '14 ES doesn't seem to have come with the kerchunk option, which is perfectly OK with me. But, if it does develop later on, as the bike breaks in further, I will not lose any sleep over it.

I think you are correct.

My 1st gen always gave me a spine shivering Kerchunk! with the first shift into gear from neutral. But, the bike ran flawlessly for 100k miles and is still going strong, so I didn't let it bother me. I soon got into the habit of only starting the bike in neutral when stone cold. The rest of the day I would start it in gear (with the clutch in, doh!) and it would never Kerchunk.

I was pleasantly surprised than my new '14 ES doesn't seem to have come with the kerchunk option, which is perfectly OK with me. But, if it does develop later on, as the bike breaks in further, I will not lose any sleep over it.
Exactly my routine. I back it out of the shop onto the pad in neutral and start it in neutral. Otherwise, I start it in whatever gear I stopped in -- usually low -- unless I screwed up.