On the Adjustable Suspension and Front Tyre Pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One useful and under-reported feature of CC is that it allows you to pick your preferred speed (limit + a bit), and not go OVER it. This can be wallet saving on a bike that will hit three figure speeds without any apparent discomfort.
This.

If I'm gonna get a big ticket, it's gonna be on purpose, not because I wasn't paying attention.

I once upon a time worked for Goodyear T&R and it was common knowledge tire pressure will affect tire wear and wear pattern. Vehicle mfg suggest lower pressure in order to improve the comfort of the ride. If tires are under inflated they will get hot. Tires are designed to take on a specific shape at the recommended pressure. If under inflated they will not reach the intended profile and the outer edges will scuff causing cupping or feather edging. If over inflated too much they will wear the centres pre-maturely. Motorcycles like cars and trucks need tire pressure increased if loaded beyond normal payload.

A note to the wise. If you are over 180lbs and if you ride two up you should increase the tire pressure over the FSM. I weigh 145lbs and always keep 39-40psi in front and 42psi in rear. No bad wear patterns on any of my tires regardless of the tire mfg. Tire life is a different issue. I'm sold on Michelin PR's because they wear like steel and still provide decent performance. Your choice may be different...kinda like choosing women!!

A little more ...

Went to have a talk to my dealer. Asked if there was any procedure to check that the suspension was as it should be, he said there wasn't. He would be happy to have it in to give it a test ride, but there was nothing that Yamaha suggested as a procedure.

I talked to him about tyre pressures. He understood my concern over tyre wear at the Yamaha recommended 36 psi. Suggested I try a compromise pressure of (say) 38.

Well, that seems to be a useful test. Yesterday I did a trip, partly two-up, and I was happy enough with the feel of the bike. It is still a little harsher than I would like, but the precision and confidence when "playing" is still better than I've ever known (ok, I've not ridden many bikes, but this is for me
wink.png
).

So, I'll leave it at that and see how this tyre wears compared with my '10.

Thanks to all who've shown an interest.

Latest posts