painting polished aluminum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorgod

And now..let me introduce the one and only....MOTO
Reaction score
I am going to buy the HID light in the picture.

SCMR16_single_w450.jpg

It is made of polished aluminum that is clear-coated. Can this be painted? If it can, does anyone have any tips?

motorgod,

no experience with something like that directly, but I've had aluminum wheels powder coated and they simply sandblast them then powder coat them. I think if you can take it apart to basic casing it should be do able?

regards,

I concur. Strip down to the metal, quick sandblast to scuff up the chrome, and then your choice of a matte or gloss powdercoat.

....But then I just bought a powdercoating unit from Harbor Freight last weekend and have been going nuts with it! ;)

I concur. Strip down to the metal, quick sandblast to scuff up the chrome, and then your choice of a matte or gloss powdercoat.
....But then I just bought a powdercoating unit from Harbor Freight last weekend and have been going nuts with it! ;)

Oh no, did you try and powder coat your cat again?!

Oh no, did you try and powder coat your cat again?!
No, I learned at a much younger age that you can't put them in an oven for longer than a couple of minutes. The powder coating needs at least 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

You can paint or powder coat Aluminum as has been commented upon. Abrasive blasting (honing) or etching the Aluminum surface produces a rough surface for "tooth" and allows the paint or powdercoat to adhere. Aluminum oxide (which is produced fairly quickly) also prevents paint from sticking so if you prepare the surface don't let it sit for a week in a box waiting for the paint. Many aerospace Aluminum components are finished this way. I've used this for tooling and optical equipment (powder coating).

I might like to suggest another process but it depends on how much effort you want to put into the lights and where you live. If I were going to coat those lights I would anodize them. It's not expensive and comes in a lot of colors, red, black, blue, green, gold and clear. If you live near any moderately sized city there are platers and they will usually toss your light housings in with other parts and they're pretty reasonable if you drag your parts in. They will also have a abrasive unit or will etch the Aluminum before anodizing. Anodizing uses electricity so it's a lot like plating in that it's a tough, corrosion resisting coating. :rolleyes:

Just another process to consider.

AZ

AZRider is correct with his process.

But, since the parts are already clearcoated, you might try just lightly abrading the clearcoat with behrtex or similar, wipe it down with alcohol, spray a layer of primer and then paint (cheap option).

If that doesn't work, then blast, etch, etc.

Absolutely no problem painting over clearcoated aluminum. Just scuff with a red Scotchbrite pad, prime it, and paint away. just make sure you put enough paint.

If it was uncoated, yes the process would be different. Clearcoat, after all, is just clear paint.

tip.....DO NOT scuff in two different directions!!!

What color are you painting it. If you want a dark color, I would probably scuff it with a green pad and then use a gray epoxy primer under the top coat. There is a clear adhesion promoter out there called Bulldog that seems to work well - you can buy it at Wally World. That might work if you want to top coat it silver.

Thanks for all of the replies. I now have a starting point and will go from there.