parking stand choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What stand do you use when working on the bike?

• What is this 'working on the bike' of which you speak?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Traveling on ferries 3-5 times per week, everybody who has a center stand uses it. Not having a center stand was one reason that I sold my Kawasaki KLE-650. Part of the issue is that the ferry personel may squish you into tight spaces, and the center stand makes that a bit easier.
For a calm crossing, the centerstand might be OK. A number of times, I have taken a ferry between the mainland and Newfoundland. For that crossing, you have to put the bike on the sidestand and then use ratchet straps to tie the bike down to metal cleats in the deck. not stable enough on the centerstand.

Traveling on ferries 3-5 times per week, everybody who has a center stand uses it. Not having a center stand was one reason that I sold my Kawasaki KLE-650. Part of the issue is that the ferry personel may squish you into tight spaces, and the center stand makes that a bit easier.
For a calm crossing, the centerstand might be OK. A number of times, I have taken a ferry between the mainland and Newfoundland. For that crossing, you have to put the bike on the sidestand and then use ratchet straps to tie the bike down to metal cleats in the deck. not stable enough on the centerstand.
I agree. A ferry is about the last place I'd want to use a centre stand unless absolutely forced to!

On sidestand except for maintenance stuff or loading the bike for a trip. I guess I also use centerstand for winter storage.
Same, except what is winter storage?

I also have a free Whitehorse pad - came free with something that I ordered.

I also have had the centerstand on my old Kawasaki sink into soft pavement. Liked to never get it unstuck.

Ever since some miscreant knocked my old Beemer of its center stand in an apartment parking lot while I slept blissfully dreaming of riding, I use the side stand any place where the bike is vulnerable to such attacks. The tank was dented, fairing fractured in several places, and one side case and a peg destroyed. It appeared that whoever it was hurled a cinder block to do the deed and fled. Sure, one can also knock the motorcycle off its side stand, but it requires a lot more effort.

In my garage, I use the center stand. WBill

Gold Wing guy I rode with did just that once. The great beast gracefully tipped over onto the left engine guard, putting a very mild scratch on it. No other damage, except to his ego..
I once saw that done by a distracted FJR guy.
Thanks for not calling out that "distracted FJR guy." ;)

It was only the first time of three for Ole' Blue. I hear there may be a poll for when the first time I drop the red one might be.
not_i.gif

It was only the first time of three for Ole' Blue. I hear there may be a poll for when the first time I drop the red one might be.
not_i.gif
C'mon Fred, kick it over and be done with it (you've got the sliders on - what're you worried about?).
winksmiley02.gif

Yeah, but the mirrors on those POS GenIII bikes break when they fall over. WTF??

For space, I use the center stand in my garage and most hotel parking lots; though, I may rethink that after reading Bill's post. I fuel it and do maintenance on the center stand also. I guess the reason I use the CS at hotels is because I think it's easier to load a level bike.

Other than that, when I'm on a ride, I use the side stand. It's easy and secure. I just learned early on to make the slopes work for me instead of against me.

Other than that, when I'm on a ride, I use the side stand. It's easy and secure. I just learned early on to make the slopes work for me instead of against me.

+1000. What is so hard about that, right?

In all of my bike flops, never once was it the fault of a folding kickstand.

A distracted rider, sure.

A rider who thought he could make trials bike moves on uneven ground with a 650 lb pig, yep.

One who wanted to "protect" his bike by riding it up onto a tiny sidewalk under an overhang on a rainy night, you betcha.

You may notice that in each case it was clearly the fault of the bone-headed rider, not the bike.

wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. On the Clinton-Mukilteo run you almost never see anyone use the center stand.

Using the center stand is harder on the surface on which you park. Virtually all the weight of the bike is being supported by a very small steel area, with no give. Using the side stand (depending on slope), most of the weight of the bike is being supported by the tires and most of that weight is further isolated from the surface by the bike's suspension. When I've ridden the ocean-going ferries to Alaska, Prince Rupert, Queen Charlotte, etc. the loaders do not allow use of the center stand. I'm not totally sure about their rationale, but for one thing these ferries sometimes hit heavy enough seas that you can feel the pounding. Having the weight of the bike supported only by the rigid center stand would not be good for the deck or the center stand.

On a ferry, when the bike is on the sidestand you only need to tie it down in one direction (pulling it towards the sidestand) the bike will not tip over in the direction of the stand, so you only need to keep it from flopping the other way.

On a center stand you would need to tie it down in both directions. As the bike's weight is balanced, it is not all that hard to knock a bike over off the center stand. Rock the boat a little and the bike will be napping.

With the ferries I've been on, it used to be that the crew would like you to use the centre-stand (if your bike had one). For the last couple of years, the same ferries, they want you to use the side-stand (annoying BMW riders no end). They then tie it down with a single strap over the saddle, hooked to deck ties either side, until the suspension is compressed some.

I have to say it looks more stable to me.

In the end, I do whatever the crew tells me. Then, in the event of any accident, it's their responsibility.

Side stand all the time except for oil changes, maintenance, or washes. Even in the sandy parking lot at the marina. But I will find something with a bigger footprint to put the side stand on. A pop or beer can smashed with your heel works well, and they are easy to find too!

I pretty much agree with everyones' assessments. Smash a can for enlarging the sidestand footprint or carry a puck for uncertain surfaces. Centerstand on soft asphalt is asking for trouble - if both feet sink, the one on the right will keep going as the one on the left will be suspended by the tang; result: bike falls over to the right. On a ferry, tie down the front brake lever for extra stability and use the chocks. I use the center for cleaning, maintenance, storage and sometime for fueling when I want to be sure to get the extra pint. Otherwise - sidestand for me.

My buddy's XS1100 sank into the asphalt on the centerstand several years ago. I didn't go all the way over before we caught it, but I was beginning to think we'd need a wrecker to get it out
uhoh.gif

If I leave the bike in the garage unattended for more than a couple of days, I do put it on its centre-stand. In the (very) unlikely event of both tyres deflating, the bike will probably fall over.

It's a peace-of-mind thing.

I leave mine on the center stand in the garage so I can just glance at the oil level before riding. I even park the ZRX on a track stand for the same reason.

I hadn't thought about flats though. I blew a tire on another bike a few years back, and the bike wouldn't stand up on the side stand. And the rear was so low I couldn't center stand it. What a mess! I had to sit there holding it until some kind soul stopped and gave me a scrap of wood to put under the rear wheel.

OverNight I always use the center stand. I could be wrong here but I always worry about the oil just been on one side of the engine before I start it. I know BMWs have trouble with this, some will smoke when they start due to the oil leaking back through a valve.

OverNight I always use the center stand. I could be wrong here but I always worry about the oil just been on one side of the engine before I start it. I know BMWs have trouble with this, some will smoke when they start due to the oil leaking back through a valve.