Pathfinder's 100,000 (Cert.) Miles in 1 Year Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did that break?  I had those reinforcing stands coming off the back deck and that worked well for all those miles.  I was going to put in a stiffy kit on the '18 but hadn't yet as I'm not running anything back there yet.

How did that break?  I had those reinforcing stands coming off the back deck and that worked well for all those miles.  I was going to put in a stiffy kit on the '18 but hadn't yet as I'm not running anything back there yet.
   My set up needed a tie into the main frame. It was tied in through your Aux tank,  I needed to put the original rear rack on it, as that would tie into the main subframe. As I have it set up now, all the distribution is on the rear section. It should be an easy fix depending on how much i damaged it. I will just put the rack back on and that will tie it in with the 2 bolts under the rear seat.

BTW I am ordering the kit for my ‘18 also.

BBG #64 for the year was completed this morning. I got terrible gas mileage and got a huge scare on my second gas stop when my bike started running out of fuel 4 miles from the gas stop. It slugged it’s way for the longest time I have ever endured. I was all but sure I would be pushing the bike. I removed the seat to find that the quick disconnect was actually pinched slightly open and letting fuel leak out. The winds were really bad also, but I knew with 40 miles under my normal range, that something was wrong.

Cool night, closed out with light rain. The ride took about 21 and 1/2 hours, which is pretty good without a fuel cell. 

Only three more BBGs remain for the year. Next weekend, Thanksgiving day and December 21st for the “Winter solstice” ride (Completing the 4 seasons ride)

Losing out on August has really left me riding into the (Unusually) cold season. Oh well ! Feels good getting down to the last few rides.

If you want to remove that aux fuel line and cap the elbow at the tank, use a -4AN cap as that is a -4 bulkhead elbow.  I have extra caps here if you want to stop by, or they are available all over the place if you look around.  That would absolutely stop any chance of leaking.  Of course, would require you pull the tank to access the elbow.

If you want to remove that aux fuel line and cap the elbow at the tank, use a -4AN cap as that is a -4 bulkhead elbow.  I have extra caps here if you want to stop by, or they are available all over the place if you look around.  That would absolutely stop any chance of leaking.  Of course, would require you pull the tank to access the elbow.
Thanks Jim, I really think it will be fine. I just need to be a little more observant when I switch seats. The RDL was pushing the white tip, thus opening the valve.

I have only 3 BBGs left before “Kick Back” time. I plan on giving you the ‘09 for defarkling while I ready the Dakar for sale. I plan on continuing the ‘18 farkling while riding the ‘08.

Maybe this winter we can meet up for some garage days (?)

Sounds good.  You know there were originally 2 of those QDs on that bike, but one of them stuck closed so I replaced it with a straight piece of tubing.  It was right where it came out of the valve on the aux tank.  I love the size and looks of those QDs, but I am suspect of their durability after that episode.

When you bring the '09 back here, we can go over what to pull.  I do want that marine gps 478, but don't need the 550 as I've upgraded to a 595 for the '18.  I've been plugging away at some things on it but haven't started on the electrical because I need to map it out what I want and build a circuit board/fuse block that has expansion with future needs/wants in mind.

Hey, you're going to the RTE Dec 7?  Make sure Joe Green knows, be good to see him if he can make it.  I don't have his contact info.

Not bad, Tony.  Not bad at all....  But what I want to know is......  why did you wuss out?  Why didn't you go for 200k in a year? 

Pussy.

:finger:

Not bad, Tony.  Not bad at all....  But what I want to know is......  why did you wuss out?  Why didn't you go for 200k in a year? 

Pussy.

:finger:
That ride has your name all over it !

When I lost the month of August to mechanical issues to my POS ‘08, I opened myself up to this cold weather riding that I am enduring now. It really is not too enjoyable. 

I think this ride was perfect for finishing off my IBA rides.  Like eating your favorite pie, if you have a slice every day... you will be ready for cake. I am ready to ride a different pace now.  Where are the flowers? I need to sniff some!

, I opened myself up to this cold weather riding 
There are 2 working heated clothing hookups under the seat.  Controls are on the handlebar...

At least, I think they're still there.  When we stripped the bike before you rode off, it was mainly just the rear.  The harness for clothes and the other bits go under the seat back up front and I know we didn't touch any of that.

#65 is done. 21 1/2 hours and cool and wet riding. Back end has sagged to the back tire, so no more putting this repair off. I am gonna remove the top case and see what’s going on. The plastic tail section is broken through on both sides. I am riding thanksgiving day, so the fix will be temporary just to get me through.

Every time I am riding in the cold crap weather, I think of the August riding that I could have ridden instead. It will be nice to get much needed maintenance done and sell the Dakar. 

The ‘09 is ready to roll again.  I spent a few hours on it today. I took some pics and will do a write up separately later. She is looking and feeling much better since I did some surgery on her tail end. New bulb for the tail light and the original rack from the ‘08. She’s lost some weight (Topcase) but she’s ready to roll.

Jim, found that double coax. Under the front seat. This is what the controllers are to?  I’ll find out Thursday.

...and btw Jim; your Navy dragon on the rear fender flap was half way rubbed off by the rear tire - I swear it had nothing to do with the upcoming Army/Navy game.

7952084D-3763-4A13-9DEE-9C329479653F.jpeg

Still is running about 20 degrees warmer than it should. Thermostat is good, coolant reserve is new, water pump outlet was fixed... not sure what is up. I will have time to look at it after the new year.
Might be some air still stuck in the engine. You need to work it through. Take that bad girl out for a spin.

There's a pretty good movie starring Owen Wilson, Jack Black, and Steve Martin called "The Big Year."  Yeah, it's about bird watching, but I keep thinking about it when I check out your progress on this thread.  Maybe they'll make a flick about you, Tony.  But which of those guys gets the lead role I wonder?  

Hell of a year for you for sure, my friend.